Pietenpol-List: Stewart System Clean up prior to paint

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Stewart System Clean up prior to paint

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: brian.e.jardine@l-3com.com
Just a heads up for those of you using or going to use Stewart system products in your covering and painting of your project. We are now using isopropyl alcohol for the final clean up and prep prior to paint, and in between the spray coats of EkoFill. The protocol is to first wipe and blow the part with a virgin terry cloth towel and filtered air. Then move to the clean room where you use a good waterborne tack cloth like the Gerson dry tack cloth to remove the fine particles remaining. Then, with a lint free synthetic wipe, dampened with isopropyl alcohol, gently wipe down the part. The alcohol helps as an antistatic agent to stop the static cling, dries quickly and helps remove the very last particles. Look over the part in strong light, and if needed, wipe down again lightly with the Gerson tack cloth. I have had a problem with residual particles in my paint surface, no matter how much I clean my booth and paint surfaces. This seems to solve the problem as static electricity was drawing particles back the the surface. I buy from WalMart - the local pharmacy special ordered gallon jugs for me of 98% Isoprophyl at $38 per gallon.M. Haught aircraftfinishes(at)gmail.com________________________________________________________________________________