Pietenpol-List: talk to me about seat cushion material

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: talk to me about seat cushion material

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: airlion
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: talk to me about seat cushion material> > Hi Douwe - I do fly. > > Shelley made the cushions. We used the high-dollar foam from aircraft spruceand she bought a cow-hide off ebay and used it to make both seat > cushions and the coaming, similar to what Jack described. Also > similar to Jack, she layered the various densities to make the > cushions more comfortable. I believe the cushions are 2".> > In the back: the bottom cushion takes up almost the whole seat > bottom and is not secured by anything but my butt. That has never, > ever created a problem. It does not move. My back rest cushion is > a neck pillow that she covered in duck cloth of an appropriate > color (same fabric as the cockpit covers). BTW: The duck cloth on > the cockpit covers shrinks and the red trim bleeds color when wet. > > In the front: she made a cushion that takes up the tiny seat > bottom. Even with the high-dollar foam people get uncomfortable up > there pretty quick.> > My record day was 500 miles and that's pretty tiring. The seat > cushion was not a problem, though. As you may be aware, the trips > from Texas to Brodhead are 3 days each way and I fly a lot while at > Brodhead.> Hope this helps.> > --------> Kevin "Axel" Purtee> NX899KP> Austin/San Marcos, TX> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 409#369409> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 08:42:20 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Test only

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: airlion
No action - Test Onlybed________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 08:48:09 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Phillips"
Okay gents (and ladies??)Those of you who have spent hours in your Piets actually flying around, I'dlove to hear your take on seat cushion materials.Need to start work on those and have heard good things about the old"temperfoam" ACS sells. Also have some closed cell foam I've been using forhangar flying patrols which works nicely.Also, should we fabricate "pillows" that Velcro in or just lay in the foamand screw the cover around the perimeter into the wood. Douwe________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: talk to me about seat cushion material

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Douwe I can answer a couple of the questions you have asked.I have ACS Temperfoam seat cushions. The stuff is pricey but is verycomfortable. My cushions are made up in two layers - the stiffest foam onthe bottom, then a layer of medium foam on top. Total thickness is 2". Iglued them together and took them to a local upholstery shop that does a lotof boat seats. I bought an entire cowhide of nice soft brown leather fromB&B Aircraft Services in Kansas City for $110 and that was enough leather todo both seats, both cockpit coamings and have a little bit to spare. The seats are very comfortable and I've flown some long days in them. Thelongest was in 2008 when I flew from Raleigh to Brodhead in one day (tookoff from Raleigh just as the sun was rising and landed at Brodhead about 15minutes after sundown). Even with comfortable seat cushions I don't want todo that again.My seat cushions have velcro that sticks them down to the seat frames. Thishas caused problems. Twice I've had the front seatback cushion come loosein flight and fall down in front of the seat, blocking movement of the frontstick. It is not a lot of fun landing the airplane when you can't bank tothe left. Now I run a bungee cord around the front seatback cushion toensure it stays in place. If you can devise a good way to screw thecushions down, I would do so.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia _____
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "kevinpurtee"
No action - Test Onlybed________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: talk to me about seat cushion material
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
Hi Douwe - I do fly. Shelley made the cushions. We used the high-dollar foam from aircraft spruce andshe bought a cow-hide off ebay and used it to make both seat cushions and thecoaming, similar to what Jack described. Also similar to Jack, she layeredthe various densities to make the cushions more comfortable. I believe the cushionsare 2".In the back: the bottom cushion takes up almost the whole seat bottom and is notsecured by anything but my butt. That has never, ever created a problem. Itdoes not move. My back rest cushion is a neck pillow that she covered in duckcloth of an appropriate color (same fabric as the cockpit covers). BTW: Theduck cloth on the cockpit covers shrinks and the red trim bleeds color whenwet. In the front: she made a cushion that takes up the tiny seat bottom. Even withthe high-dollar foam people get uncomfortable up there pretty quick.My record day was 500 miles and that's pretty tiring. The seat cushion was nota problem, though. As you may be aware, the trips from Texas to Brodhead are3 days each way and I fly a lot while at Brodhead.Hope this helps.--------Kevin "Axel" PurteeNX899KPAustin/San Marcos, TXRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: talk to me about seat cushion material
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gene Rambo
Scott and I learned a little about this issue bringing ours home from Osceola MN.18 hours in three days.Dick was kind enough to put in a very nice thermarest stadium style seat, but itseverely limited back stick (being a new tail wheel guy, this was a bit of aproblem!).On our first overnight in Brodhead, we walked into town and found a dollar general.We bought a couple of the cheapest blankets they have there. About sixbucks for a twin bed sized blanket. Some sort of all synthetic material. Well,on the way out of town, I folded one up and tried it for an emergency cushionwhile Scott used the stadium seat (he'd just hold it out of the way for landings).That cheapo blanket makes a GREAT seat cushion. Whatever it is, it doesn't mattdown at all, doesn't take on moisture, and I've still got it in there. I thinkI'm going to make a simple bag for it and velcro it down in the long run.I havn't found a back cushion really necessary. Probably going to go get another(had to leave one in Brodhead) for the front seat, just get a smaller one orcut one of twin sized ones down a bit. If you're interested in this, let me know, I'll go to a local dollar general andsee if I can't get more useful details.ToolsRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Inst. Panel design

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: pietflyr(at)bellsouth.net
Here's mine. Gene
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: talk to me about seat cushion material

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: kevinpurtee
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: talk to me about seat cushion materialFor long trips in my Vtail (or the 2001 Toyota Corolla), I often take a memoryfoam pillow off of my bed. Makes a world of difference.Blue Skies,Steve D----- Original Message -----
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Inst. Panel design

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dortch, Steven D MAJ NG NG NGB"
Group=2CIhave the basic set up for my panel in mind but would like to requestfromthe group pictures of your panels. I have combed overWestCoast-Pietand other sites for other ideas also. I thought it mightbean interesting thread to see what people have done with instrumentplacement=2Ctype of ply=2C or veneer wood or metal finish. I think I amleaningtowards a burl veneer panel. Look forward to any panel pics.Thanks.BrianSLC-UTBrian=2CHere's mine: Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake=2C Virginia ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Re: talk to me about seat cushion material

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Dick N"
> --> Pietenpol-List message posted> by: "kevinpurtee" > > Hi Douwe - I do fly. > > Shelley made the cushions. We used the high-dollar> foam from aircraft spruce and she bought a cow-hide off ebay> and used it to make both seat cushions and the coaming,> similar to what Jack described. Also similar to Jack,> she layered the various densities to make the cushions more> comfortable. I believe the cushions are 2".> > In the back: the bottom cushion takes up almost the whole> seat bottom and is not secured by anything but my> butt. That has never, ever created a problem. It> does not move. My back rest cushion is a neck pillow> that she covered in duck cloth of an appropriate color (same> fabric as the cockpit covers). BTW: The duck cloth on> the cockpit covers shrinks and the red trim bleeds color> when wet. > > In the front: she made a cushion that takes up the tiny seat> bottom. Even with the high-dollar foam people get> uncomfortable up there pretty quick.> > My record day was 500 miles and that's pretty tiring.> The seat cushion was not a problem, though. As you may> be aware, the trips from Texas to Brodhead are 3 days each> way and I fly a lot while at Brodhead.> > Hope this helps.> > --------> Kevin "Axel" Purtee> NX899KP> Austin/San Marcos, TX> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 409#369409> > > > > > > > Email Forum -> - MATRONICS WEB FORUMS -> List Contribution Web Site -> -Matt> Dralle, List Admin.> > > > ________________________________________________________________________________