Pietenpol-List: Brodhead report

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Brodhead report

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Phillips"
Good People,There is only one word to describe Brodhead 2012,......AWESOME!! The weather was great on Friday and Saturday. Lots of flying, measuring, talking, lying etc. It was great to visit with all the characters on this list, meeting many for the first time. The Piggly Wiggly fresh brats we had at Jack's Bratfest were the best, graciously served by Jack and Susan from their RV. John (slather) Racine brought the spaggetti sauce and Shelly provided the noodles for a scrumptious Thursday night dinner. YUM. For me personally this year was most satisfying in that after 10 years of building NX929DH and two more long drawn-out years of flying through my 40 hour test phase, I was finally able to give passenger rides. On Friday morning Chuck Borsik (sp?) from N.C. was my very first passenger ever. After that the word spread and there was a steady stream behind him all day long. Hopped at least 20 rides that day. The IT girl Shelly did a wonderful and tireless job setting us up in the cove as usual with her kitchen tent, coolers etc. A HUGE THANK YOU to her and Kevin!!!There seemed to be a huge number of photos taken this year. Dan Yokum and I did two different air-to-air photo shoots with pro photographers. Shelly got a couple a GREAT money shots from last night's sunset flying. We will get to see them soon here. This morning (Sunday) we awoke to a dark mass heading our way from the west. Dan Yokum had to roust the EAA chapter guys out of the kitchen in order to open the fuel pumps for us early. We hurredly re-fueled and left just in the nick of time as the rain started to fall. I actually flew through the first two minutes of rain before I could out run it. A georgeous morning the rest of the way back to Poplar Grove, headed east, with light ground fog- the early morning sun dancing and glistening as we crawled our way back home ahead of the storm.A wondrous place to be, Brodhead WI. at the annual Pietenpol fly-in. No parking fees, no entrance fees, no hassle. Warm friendly people from all walks of life, literally from across the globe, all milling around, savoring each sight, and loving each minute. Makes you really feel good about being a part of this human race.Respectfully submitted,Dan HelsperPoplar Grove, IL________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Brodhead report

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Thanks for the report, Dan. For those of us who for various reasonscouldn't make it this year, it was good to read that life is still good atBrodhead. Actually, today I feel good knowing that I'm NOT there, becauseSunday morning at Brodhead always seems sort of sad. Safe travels toeveryone getting home, and I'm already planning next year's trip.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia _____
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Brodhead report

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Boyer
Thanks Dan...... Brings a smile to read about all you folks having such a good old time....I plan to be there (sans plane - a few more years to go for that...) next yearas it will be only a couple days from my niece's wedding in Wisconsin....!Back to the garage now for more progress and enjoyment building my Piet.....Thx.......--------Jake Schultz - curator,Newport Way Air Museum (OK, it's just my home)Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 17:39:17 +0000 (UTC)
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Billy McCaskill"
Because motorcycle wheels are taller, they already have much less rolling resistancethan short wheels like Cubs and such use, there is no need for the reducedfriction of roller or ball bearings in the hubs of motorcycle wheels. It alsoeliminated the need for threading the ends of the axles for the adjusting/retainingnuts required by ball or roller bearings. And at the low speeds they'reused at on an airplane, bronze with some grease in the hub is more than adequate.--------Billy McCaskillBaker, LAtail section almost done, starting on ribs soonRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Brodhead report
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "coxwelljon"
We appreciate your enthusiasm John, and I'm sure that Kevin and Shelly do as well.As for the slow pace of contributions, speaking solely for myself of course...I just returned from an 11-day trip... a trip that I save for all year.Having said that, I do indeed plan to assist in whatever way I can, but honestly,my liquid funds are somewhat depleted due to the trip. Some of our fellowPieters are not even home yet, so lets give the 7-day plan time to materialize.I'll be in better shape to contribute by mid-week, and plan to do so. If you are comparing this effort to Markle-Mania, well, a couple of things aredifferent... one, we had a target that needed to be achieved ($6k if I recall),and there was also a somewhat pressing time frame. If there are similar circumstancesin this matter, perhaps making those points known would generate moreof a sense of urgency. The most pressing concern is that Kevin get healthy, which he appears to be doing,thank God. If there is an urgent need for funds, perhaps we discover howto get things moving to Shelly ASAP (perhaps directly), but if we are going todo a 7-day marathon then let's allow everyone time to assess their resourcesand give the maximum that they can. As for the FBG_parts campaign, it is a totally separate issue to the monetary contributions.Is it premature? Perhaps by some people's estimate, but Jim'srequest wasn't for people to order parts, it was simply a call to look aroundfor things, and he has caused many of us to look around our shops for items thatwe might donate... at a later time of course. Will it be Phase II, or III,or later? Not to sure, but whenever the time is right Jim will be able to provideKevin and Shelly with a consolidated list of goodies that are availableto them. I think it's a great idea. Heck, perhaps some of the group are strappedfor cash at this point and time and could not give, but they may have usefulitems to offer. Does that meant that folks are helping in one way and notthe other? I doubt that to be the case. It could be that we are all doing agreater service by looking at several areas that we may be able to assist asthis chapter unfolds.Anyhow, let's be patient. We all know that this is a giving group, and severalof the more capable members have already stepped forward to offer immediate assistance.The quality of people in our group really is amazing. Thanks for your efforts, and keep us posted!--------Mark ChouinardWings, Center Section and Empannage and Fuse framed up - Working on Landing GearRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Brodhead report
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "K5YAC"
Dan,My grandson was one of your last rides on Friday evening and the smiles on hisface told the whole story. You really touched the heart of this young man. Ithank you so much for your generosity.--------Jon Coxwell GN-1 BuilderRecycle and preserve the planetRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Brodhead report
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Peter W Johnson"
I'm not sure how this works if you aren't a Facebook user, but it says that I can share my album with others. I hope those of you who are not on Facebook areable to view my photos using this link. Let us know if it works!http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... ------Mark ChouinardWings, Center Section and Empannage and Fuse framed up - Working on Landing GearRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Brodhead report

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Mark,No problem. All looking good!CheersPeterWonthaggi Australiahttp://www.cpc-world.com-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Hello Good People

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "kevinpurtee"
Hey, cool!--------Mark ChouinardWings, Center Section and Empannage and Fuse framed up - Working on Landing GearRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Hello Good People
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Hello Good People

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "K5YAC"
Will share more with you in the next day or 2. Today's first day I've had theenergy to open the computer. My glasses hurt my broken nose.1st: Thanks so much for all the support after the crash. Will address more ofthis later. 2nd: will add to Dan's report based on our time this year prior to the crash.3rd: thanks for the offer of financial and other support. Very generous but pleaseonly give WHAT you can, IF you can, and if you WANT TO. You owe us nothingbut your friendship, which you are already generous with.--------Kevin "Axel" PurteeNX899KPAustin/San Marcos, TXRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Hello Good People
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Brodhead report

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "M W Stanley"
Thanks!Sent from an iPhone with a spelling problem> On Jul 22, 2016, at 7:31 AM, Richard Schreiber wrote:>>> Good morning Pietenpolers:>> Here's a report from the field at Brodhead. We had quite a large group that wentto town and ate at the Supper Club last night. It was hot and humid when Iarrived at around 3:30, so most of us wanted to cool off and eat at a restaurant.We had dodged a few storms at the field and have about 7 or 8 Piets arriveso far. Dan Helsper made it in from Tennessee just before the weather startedto move in again late yesterday. While we were at the restaurant we finallygot rain and came back to a few flooded tents. As I sit here at the Pavilion Iam watching Douwe doing a dawn Patrol with a pretty sunrise for a backdrop. Theplanes I recognize besides Douwe's are the Alan Rudolph historic Piet flownby Andrew King, Larry Williams, Dan Helsper, Greg Cardinal/ Dale Johnson andGene Rambo.>> Rick Schreiber>> NX478RS>> From Brodhead, WI>>________________________________This e-mail message (including any attachments) is for the sole use ofthe intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privilegedinformation. If the reader of this message is not the intendedrecipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distributionor copying of this message (including any attachments) is strictlyprohibited.If you have received this message in error, please contactthe sender by reply e-mail message and destroy all copies of theoriginal message (including attachments).________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Brodhead report

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Cox
Great report! As I read this I'm with my aircraft partner chugging across theMichigan peninsula enroute. Customs stop (as we're Canadian eh) and planned arrivalin Brodhead at noonish in our little Piper PA12 to camp for the next couplenights. Looking forward to meeting new folks and seeing the old ones. Scott Knowlton. (Slow builder in Burlington ON; first time in Brodhead since 2006)> On Jul 22, 2016, at 7:32 AM, Richard Schreiber wrote:> > > Good morning Pietenpolers:> > Here's a report from the field at Brodhead. We had quite a large group that wentto town and ate at the Supper Club last night. It was hot and humid when Iarrived at around 3:30, so most of us wanted to cool off and eat at a restaurant.We had dodged a few storms at the field and have about 7 or 8 Piets arriveso far. Dan Helsper made it in from Tennessee just before the weather startedto move in again late yesterday. While we were at the restaurant we finallygot rain and came back to a few flooded tents. As I sit here at the Pavilion Iam watching Douwe doing a dawn Patrol with a pretty sunrise for a backdrop. Theplanes I recognize besides Douwe's are the Alan Rudolph historic Piet flownby Andrew King, Larry Williams, Dan Helsper, Greg Cardinal/ Dale Johnson andGene Rambo.> > Rick Schreiber> > NX478RS> > From Brodhead, WI> > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 05:31:50 -0700Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Brodhead report
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Brodhead report

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com [mailto:owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com] On Behalf Of Richard Schreiber
Rick, did you fly yours in?Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----