Pietenpol-List: Re: Obsolete part

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Obsolete part

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: woodflier(at)aol.com
I bought an ACK 121.5 ELT on eBay for under $100 when I was finishing up 9 Mike Lima. My understanding is that they are not being manufactured anymore but are still legal to install and operate, at least in the USA. I checked late last week and there were some 121.5 mHz unit auctions and some 406 mHz units in the $550 range, which is down considerably from where they were.I had mixed feelings about using the 121.5, TSO C91 unit because they're not being monitored anymore but just couldn't swing the cost of a new 406 mHz unit. Frankly, most Piet accidents seem to occur on or near airports, either on landing or takeoff. Chances are someone would be there and call 911. That's not the case at my strip, however. I often fly alone and there's no one nearby. The SPOT locators look good. Do they activate in a crash like an ELT or do they require you to push a panic button? If you're unconscious that will be a problem but having the tracking is a great feature. Matt Paxton________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Obsolete part