Pietenpol-List: List of mistakes (so far)

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: List of mistakes (so far)

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "C N Campbell"
For those builders who are just getting started, I am passing along a listof mistakes I have made (so far). I have completed much of the fuselage,numerous metal fittings, some tail feathers, landing gear, and the turtledeck. Do with this info as you like. In another post Ill hit on the "few"things I did really right!-AN3 bolts will not go through a 3/16" hole in metal fittings - you need a#10 drill bit. Luckily #10 is larger than 3/16".-Going straight from plans, (and failing to think ahead) the straight axlelanding gear fittings bolts and the 2" ash blocks running side-side on thefuselage floor are in conflict. Knowing this I would have modified themetal fittings (as other smart folks did). I epoxied the 2" wood spreader tothe fuse floor long before thinking about the LG.-The metal fittings (wing strut attach points) that protrude through the LGfittings need to sit a pocket in the fuselage floor (belly side). The plansclearly show this - but I failed to see this detail initially.-I made 3 of the 5 tail feather parts in 2005 before I ever heard of WestCoast Piets! The gussets sit in the rabbit / routed "inner" portion of thecorners, not "ON TOP" of the outer edgesI routinely visit West Coast Piets web site and look at other builders' finework before starting each component. -Mashing (sorry, forming) 4130 tube ends. THINK a little before that secondend is formed - make sure the alignment is right when you put the tube intothe vice. I made the rudder bar support twice!-The small "L" shaped tail brackets - I thought I was being "smart" when Imade 8 sets of "matching pairs". I drilled the holes two pieces at a time(in a small jig I made). I also thought it was smart to "offset the boltholes off the centerline". Then I bent all 16 pieces the same direction-OOOPS-I discovered each matched pair needs one bent "left" and one to the"right" due to the holes being offset. -Bench vices - get the biggest one that works in your shop space. 2" wide.090" 4130 is tough stuff and a big vice helps! Forming 3/4" tubing is alsoeasier in a large vice. Anyone need a 3" vice?-It's hard to find 9/32" AN bolts. Plan on AN-5 (5/16).As I make more goofs, I'll keep you all posted so you might avoid themduring your build. Likewise, I'll post some things I think really helpedalong with some photos.Bob DewenterDayton OH________________________________________________________________________________