Pietenpol-List: Covering control horn bolts, yes or no

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Covering control horn bolts, yes or no

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
namrednos wrote:> Looks great, what did you do to the rudder so that you could place the controlhorns lower under the stabilizer. Also your horns are made different than standard,could you share your design.> > Scott> Ribs done> working on horiz/vert stabI used the plans from the UK pietenpol association. It seems easier to bolt onthe fittings this way, it makes covering easier without having to work aroundthe pre installed fittings. You do have to glue in reinforcing blocks where thefittings go....In order to get the plans, you have to join there club and thenyou can download them from their website. I hand picked which changes i wantedto use, they have allot of pietenpol modifications.Having the rudder horn under the elevator makes the cable route nice and straight.As with any modification to the original design, it probably weighs slightlymore....--------NX321LRFully AssembledTail assembly and ailerons covered and painted.Wings covered and primed, one paintedMitsubishi PoweredRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Covering control horn bolts, yes or no
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Frank Metcalfe
We discussed a few months ago and I couldn't find in the archives. I would rathernot cover my bolts with fabric, any ideas? Hold the horn in place with a 3/16dowels while covering?Sent from my iPadJack Textor________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 08:51:01 -0800 (PST)
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Put the painted tail together

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Love it!Jack TextorDes Moines, IA-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Put the painted tail together

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Markle
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Oh, I'm still here....

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "echobravo4"
If you are concerned then you could use castle nuts and cotterpins.I am involved with the repair of a wingtipon our RAA club Turbi. As some of you know, it's a low wing AC. The underside two ft in from the tip hit a rebar sign post without sign that was just off the side of a certain country runway, ripping a slot from behind the LE to the first half of the aileron. The man doing the actual repair, being somewhat older, decided the wing had to come off. It's one piece just like the original Piet. FOUR hour job. The four 1/2"bolts holding the wing and fuse togetheralong with a number of other equally importantbut smaller bolts all had nyloc nuts on them.NONE of these had been touched since thisplane was built FORTY years ago. All werefully tight. I know this because it fell to me toclimb head first into the bloody thing toremove these things. :-) So in non movingareas it appears nylocs work OK. Justmake sure they are NEW nuts every time.Do not re-use old ones.And no, before you ask, it wasn't me whohit the rebar. I don't even fly this thing as Ihave an arrangement with a friend and his46, 90hp Chief.ClifI will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want. I guess you are right Jack. The plans don't say specifically. I can't recall ever seeing the bolts uncovered, but then again I never looked for it. I would think it would be evident on pre-flight inspection if the not had worked loose. Not likely in my opinion. And the fabric/paint/glue might serve to hold the nut on. If the concern is the difficulty in covering/fitting around the mounted horn, I can see what you mean. Dan Helsper Puryear, TN Not sure where the plans call for covering For the horns I would guess being able to make sure they are secure is a good thing. Appreciate all the comments! Jack Textor Des Moines, IA ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Oh, I'm still here....
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Covering control horn bolts, yes or no

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tools"
Keep at it JimI know that Paint program can be challenging! ;)--------Earl BrownI may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where Iintended to be.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Covering control horn bolts, yes or no
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack"
Wood shrinkage can allow a through bolt to become loose, all the while the nutnever moving and remaining tightly in place on the bolt.I've seen this on my plane.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Covering control horn bolts, yes or no

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Yes...on my tale surfaces which were torqued a couple years ago, all boltsfor the hinges took one to two turns to tighten up before covering...Jack TextorDes Moines, IA-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Covering control horn bolts, yes or no

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Covering control horn bolts, yes or no

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
> > Subject: RE: Pietenpol-List: Shoulder Harness> > To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> > > > > >> Joseph,> >> Attached shows how I did my front and pilot pits. Keep in mind this > >> Piethas not been off the ground. > >> The 7/16 picture shows the 2nd or 3rd practice instrument board, I > >> havesince moved the engine instruments to the right and the mag > >> switch to the> >> left, because when starting my Grega I am always standing at the > >> prop or on> >> the left side.> >> Skip> >> > >> > >>> [Original Message]> >>> Subject: Pietenpol-List: Shoulder Harness> >>> > >>> I am considering putting shoulder harnesses in my Pietenpol. > >>> > >>> Does anyone have any ideas as to the best anchor point for the shoulder> >> harness for the rear seat? Also what hardware have you found best to mount> >> to the structure?> >>> > >>> Thanks, > >>> > >>> Joseph> >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Covering control horn bolts, yes or no