RE: Pietenpol-List: West Coast Pietenpol Gathering (aka: "Brodhead West")

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: West Coast Pietenpol Gathering (aka: "Brodhead West")

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: gboothe5(at)comcast.net
Many of us were heart broken to hear the news about your accident on the way to Frazier Lake but were elated to see you come in the door unscathed. You are one of the very good guys and we respect and treasure your and your work. Hope to share one of those $100 hamburgers some day soon Vic NX414MV
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: West Coast Pietenpol Gathering (aka: "Brodhead West")

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
All=2CBy now you should have seen the lineup of Piets that Chris Tracy posted. Pietenpols were coming out from under hay stacks and barn hide-aways all up and down the state (or so it seemed)! The great states of Texas and Oregon were also represented by dignitaries.But=2C as you look at the lineup=2C there is one plane missing=85NX308MB.Unofficially=2C =BD way thru a 2 hour leg=2C I hit extreme turbulence that most assuredly damaged a rear spar. Yes=85I=92m sure that was it. It certainly wasn=92t the gentle tapping of the left wing on the runway in a right x-wind landing. Well=2C it may have been a tid-bit more than a gentle tap=85Kevin & Shelley flew out from Austin and spent Friday night at my new house. Friday evening was pleasant=2C even windless=2C and Kevin took my Piet up for a short flight. I was very keen to get the impressions of an experienced Pietenpol pilot about how my plane flew. He reported good findings=2C but commented that it seemed a bit tricky on landing. We had a brief discussion about my landing gear width and how tall my Piet stands=2C and whether it was that or that he had not flown a Piet for almost a year. I discounted the latter=2C and took mental note of the former. I have had difficulty landing=2C too. How prophetic=85There is no doubt in my mind that a more experienced pilot would not have botched the landing the following morning. I freely admit that=2C at the risk of losing Man Points. The only scary thing about the event=2C is that=2C after I fueled up=2C while taxiing back to the runway=2C I noticed a little flutter in the left wing. A closer examination confirmed my fears. I was 5 minutes from taking off!The rest of the good news is that I did not ground loop and the rest of the plane is fine.However=2C I now have a better idea=85Since I like wood gear=2C and tall wheels=2C why not copy proven builds like Mike Cuy=92s or Jack Phillips=92! THERE=2C that=92s the ticket! My plane is not home yet=2C but I think my gear width is about 57=94=2C if I recall=2C and Jack=92s is over 69=94=2C and not as tall!! Even Mike Groah=92s brand new=2C beautiful Piet=2C which is styled very similarly to mine=2C has a gear width of 62=94=3B but Mike is also a much better pilot than I=85and his paint job is so smooth that the wind just slides off without effecting him!Take what you will from this mea culpa. I have a =91little voice=92 that speaks constantly to me=85but I often get confused because I hear lots of voices!Gary BootheNX308MB ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: West Coast Pietenpol Gathering (aka: "Brodhead West")