Pietenpol-List: small dogs, storage space, and tents

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: small dogs, storage space, and tents

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Philips"
My good friend and Pietenpol builder/owner/operator Jack Phillips wrote:2) I have a very nice baggage compartment big enough to hold a tent, a sleeping bag, an airmattress and a small duffle bag, in addition to the chocks and tie downs I always carry. I don't see how you can carry much of a tent in the centersection, since it's only about 5" tall at the most. I've seen the tent Mike Cuy uses. My dog wouldn't fit in it. And it's a very small dog.I hate to be a stickler for the accuracy but in this case I'll make an exception. Jack doesn't actually carry his tent on his trips to Brodhead in the Pietenpol but has it delivered to him by a good friend who holdsit at a secret location somewhere in Wisconsin during the rest of the year.Here's my tent (that Jack's dog wouldn't fit into) that I use when going cross country in my Piet. This photo happens to be from Lee Bottom Flying Field in Hanover, Indiana in 2008.Not only does my tent fit in my center section baggage compartment but my air mattress fits up there too with lots of room for other things as well.I do admit that I have to sleep diagonally in this tent to be comfortable but it works and it is lightweight.Mike C.Ohio[cid:image001.png(at)01D051C4.8561BF80] [cid:image002.jpg(at)01D051C4.8561BF80]________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: small dogs, storage space, and tents

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Ah, but Mike I have carried the tent with me in the Pietenpol. You willrecall in 2005 when I first flew mine to Brodhead, with a stop in Clevelandalong the way. That year I did carry everything with me.Here's a picture of my baggage compartment while under construction, showingmy sleeping bag and tent in place. You can see there's quite a bit of roomleft for other stuff.Here's the baggage compartment with the cowling and baggage door in place:Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Andy-- storage space and fuel

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Andy Garrett"
You know I thought you carried your tent up there at least one time so that makes perfect sense! You have more room up there in the nose baggagesection than I knew.I do recall shipping my suitcase to Wisconsin in 2009 when we did both Brodhead AND the 75th Anniversary of the Pietenpol at Oshkosh because I had somuch stuff that year and then mailed my baggage home from the University of WI, Oshkosh before flying home.[cid:image003.jpg(at)01D051D2.093BA430][cid:image004.jpg(at)01D051D2.093BA430]________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Andy-- storage space and fuel