Re: Pietenpol-List: a great way to build a Pietenpol----have my Uncle

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
For the newer builders to the list-----and please forgive me to the old hands on the list who are by now, I'm sure, growing wearing of me talking about my UncleTony Bingelis and his homebuilder books.For guys like Andy and Tony or anybody who is just getting started building a Piet, 95% of your building questions can be answered in great clarity by having a setof the Tony Bingelis Homebuilder books by your shop. (he's not really my Uncle by the way)Then Bingelis books are about $90 for the set of 4 right now but I swear they will save you HOURS of wasted time and TONS of money by being able to find outhow to do a certain part of your project correctly the FIRST time and knowing that it is airworthy and sound without worry or angst."okay....how the heck do I make windshields??" The Bingelis books not only show you but show you like 3 ways to do it."how do I go about making a cowling now??" Tony shows you like four or five different ways to make a cowling, a fuel tank, landing gears, you name it. He showsyou how to time your mags, he shows you how to select AN hardware and how to properly install it.This guy is like having an expert sitting on your coffee table ready to answer all of your questions----and especially for a Piet since Tony talks a LOT about simple, good,fun, wood homebuilt airplanes.The SINGLE best resource I had while building my Pietenpol were the homebuilding books by Tony Bingelis. I hope the newer builders will ask for these books for theirbirthday, Father's Day, or whatever day you wish because they are incredibly good to have while you're building a Piet. You get straight answers, lots and lots of optionson how to do this or that and lots of great sketches and diagrams explaining everything so that you can build with confidence and rest assured that your work is airworthyand sound.Mike C.https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/homebui ... s-set-of-4[cid:image001.jpg(at)01D06303.712116B0]________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 12:40:11 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: a great way to build a Pietenpol----have my UncleTony by your side!!!!!
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: a great way to build a Pietenpol----have my UncleTony by your side!!!!!
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: a great way to build a Pietenpol----have my Uncle

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Andy Garrett"
I was about to say the same, even a would be builder could benefit by reading them first. Uncle Tony even suggests where to begin your build as to have the greatest success in completion hint: it's not the wingsThe books save time and effort even if the exact situation you're facing isn't in there it does contain work a rounds to help conquer builder snags. It's the same advice many gave me when I started building JohnSent from my iPhone> On Mar 20, 2015, at 11:46 AM, "Cuy, Michael D. (GRC-LME0)[Vantage Partners, LLC]" wrote:> > > For the newer builders to the list-----and please forgive me to the old hands on the list who are by now, I'm sure, growing wearing of me talking about my Uncle> Tony Bingelis and his homebuilder books. > > For guys like Andy and Tony or anybody who is just getting started building a Piet, 95% of your building questions can be answered in great clarity by having a set> of the Tony Bingelis Homebuilder books by your shop. (he's not really my Uncle by the way)> > Then Bingelis books are about $90 for the set of 4 right now but I swear they will save you HOURS of wasted time and TONS of money by being able to find out> how to do a certain part of your project correctly the FIRST time and knowing that it is airworthy and sound without worry or angst.> > "okay....how the heck do I make windshields??" The Bingelis books not only show you but show you like 3 ways to do it.> > "how do I go about making a cowling now??" Tony shows you like four or five different ways to make a cowling, a fuel tank, landing gears, you name it. He shows> you how to time your mags, he shows you how to select AN hardware and how to properly install it.> > This guy is like having an expert sitting on your coffee table ready to answer all of your questions----and especially for a Piet since Tony talks a LOT about simple, good,> fun, wood homebuilt airplanes. > > The SINGLE best resource I had while building my Pietenpol were the homebuilding books by Tony Bingelis. I hope the newer builders will ask for these books for their> birthday, Father's Day, or whatever day you wish because they are incredibly good to have while you're building a Piet. You get straight answers, lots and lots of options> on how to do this or that and lots of great sketches and diagrams explaining everything so that you can build with confidence and rest assured that your work is airworthy> and sound.> > Mike C.> > https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/homebui ... s-set-of-4> > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: a great way to build a Pietenpol----have my UncleTony by yo
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Finding your own balance on expense vs investment

Post by matronics »

Thanks Mike! I will order today. :D--------Andy Garrett'General Purpose Creative Dude'Haysville, KansasRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Finding your own balance on expense vs investment
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Finding your own balance on expense vs investment

Post by matronics »

Thanks for the perspective Malcolm.I won't be discouraged. I'm still eager to get going.--------Andy Garrett'General Purpose Creative Dude'Haysville, KansasRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Finding your own balance on expense vs investment
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Thanks Scott. Some solid, actionable advice there.The rib jig sounds like a good project to start with. After making a call to thelumber wholesaler who let me hand-select all of the mahogany for my boat build(check on spruce and/or DF availability), I'll head to Lowes for a few materials.I still have some 1/4" Hydrotek marine ply laying around. I saw a spar constructionmethod over on Westcoastpiet.com that I really liked. It was 1/4" marineply between 3/8" strips of solid wood (spruce presumably) for an I-beam set up1" thick at the top and bottom. I'm eager to start on those too.--------Andy Garrett'General Purpose Creative Dude'Haysville, KansasRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Metal Fittings

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tonyp51qa"
Hey Andy,Each Ford seems to be a unique individual. I followed the advice of somepeople who had actually flown their Fords successfully and they seemed toagree to run it on the ground for a long time, 20 hrs seems to ring a bell.Seems like a long time but they swore it wouldn't loosen up 'til then.I probably ran mine about 12-15 but never had any overheating issues, butthen again she only flew around the pattern once before a bad landing forceda rebuild and I replaced the engine because I thought we were moving to themountains.If you don't have a steam relief tube to the front of the head, it couldeasily fool one into thinking the engine was overheating. Also, make surethe water temp gauge bulb is not somewhere that it can be caught in a steampocket so you are getting accurate readings. But if she's steaming steadilyand the gauge is accurately reading high then something's definitely wrong.You have the same water pump as I did and it is a great set up as it'spushing hot water rather than sucking hot water through the system and it'sat the bottom of the system. Just make sure it's pumping, and also makesure the pulley on the pump is sized correctly so the water isn't pumping sofast through the system that it can't cool enough. Too fast is bad, tooslow is bad.Jeff Faith chased an overheating Ford issue all last year, so it candefinitely be challenging.I certainly no expert, but if you keep eliminating things it shouldsurrender eventually. Try tracking down Ken Perkins and ask his advice. Heprobably has the most Ford experience of anyone around these days. Dan Halso flies a Ford but I don't think he's ever had any overheating issues.Good luck,Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Metal Fittings
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: a great way to build a Pietenpol----have my Uncle

Post by matronics »

Has anyone manufactured metal fittings and sold them for the Pietenpol? Is thereany plans or supplemental plans out there for building the Aileron, verticalor horizontal stabilizer control horns with a solid piece of steel/aluminum?I don't have access to a TIG welder.Tony[/list]--------Tony CrawfordRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: a great way to build a Pietenpol----have my UncleTony by yo
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Thank You!

Post by matronics »

On the way!--------Andy Garrett'General Purpose Creative Dude'Haysville, KansasRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Thank You!
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Metal Fittings

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Andre B. Charvet"
As I was logging off the list earlier today, I checked my email before headingto the hardware store for jig building material. It turned out that I had an invitationto come observe a completed, Corvair powered Piet just before covering.Naturally, I jumped at the chance!What I found was two great guys, happy to share their wisdom and experience withthis airplane and the Piet community.I took measurements, and lots of photos. The builder and his son had come up witha lot of neat tricks which I hadn't seen in other examples--really cool stuff!The controls were awesome and the fuel tank was simply genius. They had incorporatedseveral very elegant solutions to challenges I was already wrestling within my mind. I learned more in an hour than I had in weeks of study.My host is a member here, but as he may wish to remain anonymous, I will simplysay thanks to him one more time.If I am fortunate enough to get a future invitation, I will be prepared to do somerib stitching. heavy lifting, whatever is needed.--------Andy Garrett'General Purpose Creative Dude'Haysville, KansasRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 07:17:05 -0400Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Metal Fittings
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Thank You!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
THAT is the power of brodhead. The chance to probe the planes and minds of dozensall in one convenient location. Followed closely by corvair colleges and regional gatherings.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________