Pietenpol-List: Sharing Safety and Risk Management Information

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Sharing Safety and Risk Management Information

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "jarheadpilot82"
I edited my initial post to McCauley 71x54 pitch.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Sharing Safety and Risk Management Information
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Greg Cardinal"
I had been contacted by a forum member expressing a concern that the new forum(what we call the Pietvair forum) had been started for only Pietenpol buildersand flyers choosing the Corvair engine. Were we trying to keep safety relatedinformation to ourselves, or what? So, for that reason William Wynne and I askedJack Phillips to join the Pietvair forum for that very reason. He is goingto function as the "Non-Corvair Liaison Officer." We both think that Pietvair forum needs to be a close knit community, where membersare all builders with the common connection of the specific combination ofa Pietenpol and a Corvair. Combine this connection, with the private natureof this group, and the requirement that everyone has a real name, and we get thetype and quality of posts that builders have been sharing here. As of today,for instance in the 44 days that it has existed there have been over 750 targetedwell-written posts up on the forum.Because Pietvair is private and not open to the general public, or even to Pietbuilders who chose other engines, we now have Jack, who is known in the greaterPietenpol community. He has full access to the forum, and will be alert toany significant development on the Pietvair forum, and alert people on this forumand other venues such as Facebook, that they should directly contact myselfor William for more information. It is our wish that by having Jack as our NCLO,reasonable people will better understand our commitment to sharing importantconcepts, while maintaining the focused membership requirements of the Pietvairforum.Actually, I think that there will be very little, or next to nothing for him todo. I doubt that we will have a serious development that we discover that willreally need to be shared with other builders. There are 3 issues that meet thisalready, W&B, diagonal cabanes, and fuel lines. Those three areas are discussedin great detail on this forum and can be easily researched in the archivesand we don't see any others on the horizon. However, out of a serious commitmentto safety, we have the NCLO position so the pathway exists should it beneeded. Several of our flying Corvair builders offered to do this task, and very well couldhave, but William and I felt it was important that we have a non-Corvairguy do it, and I am thankful that Jack understood the concept and agreedTo reiterate, membership in the Pietvair forum still has certain requirements,but safety and risk management is something that we want to share with all buildersshould the need arise, and Jack will allow us to communicate that quicklyand effectively.Thanks, Jack.--------Semper Fi,Terry HandAthens, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Dick Navratil - Gone West

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jeff Boatright"
Richard M. NavratilNavratil, Richard M. Age 66, of Arden Hills. Died suddenly on June 4, 2015. Survived by wife, Joan; son, Jason (Sara) Gillet; daughter, Jen (Justin) Vojtech; grandchildren, Boone, Judah, Renley, Wyatt & Colton; siblings, Chuck Navratil, Neil Navratil, John Navratil, Mary Bergh and Anita Ziebarth; also many nieces and nephews. Mass of Christian Burial 11:00 AM Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at the CHURCH OF ST. STANISLAUS, 398 Superior Street, St. Paul. Visitation 4-8 PM Tuesday at Willwer-scheid Funeral Home, 1167 Grand Ave., St. Paul. Memorials preferred to the Wounded Warrior Project. Willwerscheid Funeral Home & Cremation Service 651-228-1006---This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.https://www.avast.com/antivirus________ ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Dick Navratil - Gone West
matronics

Post by matronics »

Very sad news.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Dick Navratil - Gone West
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "dgaldrich"
Does anyone have an address for the family? I would like to send a card.--------Semper Fi,Terry HandAthens, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Dick Navratil - Gone West
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Greg Cardinal"
1415 Skiles LaneArden Hills, MN 55112-3618Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Dick Navratil - Gone West

Post by matronics »

1415 Skiles LaneArden Hills, MN 55112----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ray Krause
I don't really know what to say. He was just here...--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol Aircamper in Scotland

Post by matronics »

Thanks for the additional photos, beautiful plane. I like your design of the cowland how it leads into the front cockpit instrument panel and the the main panel.You must have increased this part of the turtle deck?Great work,Ray KrauseSent from my iPad> On Jun 6, 2015, at 3:06 AM, Iain wrote:> > > Another photo> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 124#443124> > > > > Attachments: > > http://forums.matronics.com//files/image_820.jpg> > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Dick Navratil - Gone West

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
This is very sad, especially for those of us dealing with the untimely death of Jeremy Monett and Mike, their mechanic from Sonex Aircraft.I met Dick at Airventures several years ago and enjoyed seeing his Radial engine Pietenpol, if I remember correctly.I'm praying for them,Ray KrauseSent from my iPad> On Jun 6, 2015, at 3:23 PM, Greg Cardinal wrote:> > Richard M. Navratil> > Navratil, Richard M. Age 66, of Arden Hills. Died suddenly on June 4, 2015. Survived by wife, Joan; son, Jason (Sara) Gillet; daughter, Jen (Justin) Vojtech; grandchildren, Boone, Judah, Renley, Wyatt & Colton; siblings, Chuck Navratil, Neil Navratil, John Navratil, Mary Bergh and Anita Ziebarth; also many nieces and nephews. Mass of Christian Burial 11:00 AM Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at the CHURCH OF ST. STANISLAUS, 398 Superior Street, St. Paul. Visitation 4-8 PM Tuesday at Willwer-scheid Funeral Home, 1167 Grand Ave., St. Paul. Memorials preferred to the Wounded Warrior Project. Willwerscheid Funeral Home & Cremation Service 651-228-1006> > > > > This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. > www.avast.com> > > > 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Dick Navratil - Gone West
matronics

Post by matronics »

Oh jeez, what sad news! Dick gave me my second ride in a Piet. A fine fellow alway willing to give. Will miss him very much. My thoughts and prayers to all...Sent from my iPadJack Textor> On Jun 6, 2015, at 5:23 PM, "Greg Cardinal" wrote:> > Richard M. Navratil> > Navratil, Richard M. Age 66, of Arden Hills. Died suddenly on June 4, 2015. Survived by wife, Joan; son, Jason (Sara) Gillet; daughter, Jen (Justin) Vojtech; grandchildren, Boone, Judah, Renley, Wyatt & Colton; siblings, Chuck Navratil, Neil Navratil, John Navratil, Mary Bergh and Anita Ziebarth; also many nieces and nephews. Mass of Christian Burial 11:00 AM Wednesday, June 10, 2015 at the CHURCH OF ST. STANISLAUS, 398 Superior Street, St. Paul. Visitation 4-8 PM Tuesday at Willwer-scheid Funeral Home, 1167 Grand Ave., St. Paul. Memorials preferred to the Wounded Warrior Project. Willwerscheid Funeral Home & Cremation Service 651-228-1006> > > > > This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. > www.avast.com> > > > 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Dick Navratil - Gone West
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "oldbird"
For those of you who do not always like the things that William Wynne writes, Ithink that you would agree with him in his latest posting. Here is a link toa very nice posting in Dick's memory-http://flycorvair.net/2015/06/07/dick-n ... ----Semper Fi,Terry HandAthens, GARead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Dick Navratil - Gone West
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Philips"
I am deeply sorry for Mr. Navratil's passing away. Although I never had the chanceof knowing him personally, I definitely knew his creation: The Rotec Pietenpol.SemihRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Dick Navratil - Gone West

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Well said. There is no telling how many lives Dick touched, and how manypeople decided that they too could build an airplane just from talking withDick or working with him at the woodworking forum at Sun 'n' Fun. He was atrue gentleman and a good friend. Here's another of the (sadly, growing)list of cellphone numbers that carry in my phone, of friends who have GoneWest. For some reason I can't bring myself to delete them.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Boyer
matronics

Post by matronics »

I never met Dick in person; never even spoke to him. I only 'knew' him throughthis list, through our mutual connection to the Pietenpol Air Camper, and bya few dozen posts that he made to this list. Dick was a doer, not a writer ora theorizer. Counting on my fingers (and maybe a few toes), I can count thenumber of people on this list that I've actually met and still fewer who I considerto be close personal friends. Nevertheless, I feel like I know all of youquite well, like I know your airplanes and your projects. It's a good thing.Dick contacted me a year or two ago about borrowing my set of plans for homebuiltplywood Muktuk floats. I was delighted to loan them to him so that he andSkip Gadd or whoever his co-builder is at the workshop could get a start at puttinga homebuilt airplane on homebuilt straight floats. Last I heard, the floatshad been assembled but nothing was yet worked out as far as figuring outmounting points, water rudders, and rigging to fit them to an airframe. I pointedDick to a website where you can buy rudder kits for sea kayaks and I thoughtthey might be easy to fit to the floats and provide a retract mechanism, butI don't know if he ever had time to play with them.I think it would be a nice gesture, and very much in keeping with Dick's contributionsto experimental aviation and bringing new builders into the fold, if whoeverknows about the floats could perhaps keep the idea alive and maybe sometimein the near future somebody could splash a little water in Dick's face withthe floats that he built. I don't even know if he intended to fit them toan Air Camper. In fact, I don't know if Mr. Pietenpol himself ever lived to seefloats fitted to an Air Camper. Now wouldn't that be something... to havea Piet on floats show up at the Oshkosh seaplane base one of these years!--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Dick Navratil - Gone West

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Oscar Zuniga
Great idea! Although I missed the WestCoast Piet meet this weekend, seems someoneclose to Frazier Lake might be interested especially if the floats could beamphibs. Hint, hint!Ray KrauseSent from my iPad> On Jun 7, 2015, at 8:57 PM, taildrags wrote:> > > I never met Dick in person; never even spoke to him. I only 'knew' him throughthis list, through our mutual connection to the Pietenpol Air Camper, and bya few dozen posts that he made to this list. Dick was a doer, not a writeror a theorizer. Counting on my fingers (and maybe a few toes), I can count thenumber of people on this list that I've actually met and still fewer who I considerto be close personal friends. Nevertheless, I feel like I know all ofyou quite well, like I know your airplanes and your projects. It's a good thing.> > Dick contacted me a year or two ago about borrowing my set of plans for homebuiltplywood Muktuk floats. I was delighted to loan them to him so that he andSkip Gadd or whoever his co-builder is at the workshop could get a start atputting a homebuilt airplane on homebuilt straight floats. Last I heard, thefloats had been assembled but nothing was yet worked out as far as figuring outmounting points, water rudders, and rigging to fit them to an airframe. I pointedDick to a website where you can buy rudder kits for sea kayaks and I thoughtthey might be easy to fit to the floats and provide a retract mechanism,but I don't know if he ever had time to play with them.> > I think it would be a nice gesture, and very much in keeping with Dick's contributionsto experimental aviation and bringing new builders into the fold, ifwhoever knows about the floats could perhaps keep the idea alive and maybe sometimein the near future somebody could splash a little water in Dick's facewith the floats that he built. I don't even know if he intended to fit them toan Air Camper. In fact, I don't know if Mr. Pietenpol himself ever lived tosee floats fitted to an Air Camper. Now wouldn't that be something... to havea Piet on floats show up at the Oshkosh seaplane base one of these years!> > --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 201#443201> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________