Pietenpol-List: aileron resonse on rollout

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: aileron resonse on rollout

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jack Textor"
Have read quite a few articles about aileron usage during rollout/groundloopspeeds. Did some experimenting the other day on asphalt with no wind.Turns out that once the speed decreases and ailerons stop working asdesigned, they become flaps.So I'd taxi down the runway and if I held the stick all the way left, theplane went right and visa versa. As the plane swerved right, I could steerit back with right aileron.So at lower speeds, using aileron as if flying isn't helping things, thoughI don't really think I could train my muscle-memory to reverse everythingwhile my adrenalin is pumping as I try to stop a ground loop.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: Dick N

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Pat and others thanks for sharing your stories about Dick. I always enjoyedvisiting with him wherever we were, Brodhead, Oshkosh and Blakesburg. Hewill be missed. Attached is a shot from 2011 Brat Lunch...-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: aileron resonse on rollout

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Douwe,If you can master this, then I say go ahead and master the ground loop reversalprocess. This is fascinating.http://viewpure.com/MFzDaBzBlL0?ref=bkmkOh, I want to build one of these and give it a whirl.Cheers,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: aileron resonse on rollout

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Rudder counteracts adverse yaw.that's why the Piet has such a big rudder! Istalled a downwind wing on landing by throwing in upwind aileron.at a slowspeed. That wing comes down hard when it quits flying. IMHO, practicing withailerons on landing is bad idea that will lead to nasty results. Better topractice with dancing on the rudder.Gary BootheNX308MB