Pietenpol-List: Corvair prop?

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Corvair prop?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Larry Vetter"
Thanks Scott. I will go your way and use the resettable breakers. Gardiner.Sent from my iPad> On Jul 30, 2015, at 1:20 PM, "AircamperN11MS" wrote:> > > Hi Gardiner,> > You'll like your C-85. I am an EAA Tech counselor and look at many projects.I have seen a few guys use automotive fuses in the aircraft and you can, sinceit is an experimental airplane. > > Now here is my opinion for you:> > I would use aircraft or aircraft quality reset-able circuit breakers for a coupleof reasons. Again, it is your choice but this is why I wouldn't use automotivestuff. > > The wire connections made to the circuit breaker are solid when a screw typeconnection is made at the back of a breaker. Automotive fuses are typically afriction type connection.> > While in-flight and a breaker kicks off you can reset it and hope it holds. With a fuse, you will need to search for one (fuse) and then try to change itin flight. > > Now lets say that you land somewhere and fix whatever caused the fuse or circuitbreaker to fail. With a reset-able circuit breaker you just reset it andyou are on your way. With a fuse, aircraft or automotive style, You will needto find another one somewhere to replace the spare one you have already used.Not very convenient at best.> > Another reason I try to steer folks away of fuses is that the mindset of mostfolks is that (If I replace that 15 amp fuse with a 20 amp fuse) I can make ithome and fix whatever the problem is later. Not a good idea. That may be justthe recipe for a burnt up component or a fire. Maybe losing the whole plane.> > My three cents,> > P.S. I like using a 72x42 prop on my plane. It is a good all around prop forthe Piet.> > Cheers,> > --------> Scott Liefeld> Flying N11MS since March 1972> Steel Tube> C-85-12> Wire Wheels> Brodhead in 1996> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 428#445428> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Corvair prop?
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Pietn38b(at)aol.com
A question for you Corvair flyers. What Dia. and pitch props are you using andwhat kind of static, or takeoff RPM are you getting. I know a lot of you areusing the WW conversion. Mine is the BP conversion so the fan is still on it.Not sure if that makes a lot of difference or not....So, have at it, and thankyou in advance. LarryRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Corvair prop?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Corvair prop?LarryI also have the BP conversion with the fan. The only mods are 30 over forged pistons and the WW recommended cam. I am using a Warp Drive ground adjustable prop. It is set to give me 2700 static, I usually see about 2800to 2850 on take off. The fan does make a differance, I took the belt of the fan and the static went up but I cannot remember how much. Hope this helps a littleJim BallewPiet N38BIn a message dated 8/1/2015 7:30:25 P.M. Central Daylight Time, vetter(at)evertek.net writes:--> Pietenpol-List message posted by: "Larry Vetter" A question for you Corvair flyers. What Dia. and pitch props are you using and what kind of static, or takeoff RPM are you getting. I know a lot ofyou are using the WW conversion. Mine is the BP conversion so the fan is still on it. Not sure if that makes a lot of difference or not....So, have atit, and thank you in advance.LarryRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Corvair prop?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
66-34. T/O rpm is 3100.Gary BootheNX308MB-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Any builders/flyers in Tn?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Clif Dawson"
Not too far away south of chatt tn, in chickamauga ga, welcome to come see nx2rnany time. Short fuse, straight axle, cont a-65, all wood, one piece wing builtby Dick navratil. Mike danford, 423 580 1383Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Corvair prop?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
I have a culver 66 x 30. I get about 2850 or so on TOI cruise at around 2500 solo 2600 when at gross weight. This gives me around 70-75mph. It will turn more and go faster but feels good at those numbers. I flew Gary's prop on my plane and if I remember correctly my rpm was similar towhat he sees with his prop. It gave me better climb but required more rpm forthe same cruise speeds when compared to my prop. I'm happy with my prop and climb is decent considering all things. I've climbedout at 1320 lbs gross on a warm day and it still climbed. Mike Groah414MVTulare CASent from my iPhone> On Aug 1, 2015, at 9:09 PM, "Gary Boothe" wrote:> > > 66-34. T/O rpm is 3100.> > Gary Boothe> NX308MB> > -----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Corvair prop?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary Boothe
Hummm, thanks so far...The reason I ask is the prop on mine was carved with a propcarving machine and the owner couldn't remember what the pitch was and itsnot marked on the prop. I'm only getting around 2600. He never flew it with this prop. Mike, wouldn't more pitch give you less rpm ?? LarryRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Corvair prop?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Clif Dawson"
Larry,I believe that it is common knowledge that wood props have different outcomes withtheir intended performance based on pitch. Also, my prop is hand carved byme, and I only guarantee my intent, not the result of my intent. My suggestionis that you contact a prop manufacturer and explain your application. They willknow how to guide you.Gary BootheNX308MBSent from my iPhone> On Aug 2, 2015, at 7:16 PM, Larry Vetter wrote:> > > Hummm, thanks so far...The reason I ask is the prop on mine was carved with aprop carving machine and the owner couldn't remember what the pitch was and itsnot marked on the prop. I'm only getting around 2600.> He never flew it with this prop.> Mike, wouldn't more pitch give you less rpm ??> Larry> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 523#445523> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "GNflyer"
Is the 24" width of the fuselage to the outside of the plywood on the sides orthe outside of the longerons?--------Harv, 485PBRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Corvair prop?
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Hofmann
I'm now running a 68X 32 after using 66X27 TP prop I got with the project howeverblades n this one are not quite as wide and I really didn't see much differenceother than a little less max RPMRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: BPA Newsletter PDF

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "bubbleboy"
While waiting for the mailed version of the newsletter, here is a pdf copy for your use.Thanks to the people who beta tested the new website. I have a few bugs to work out and may tap you again before we launch. Working on the next issue so if you have an Dick Navratil or Billy McCaskill stories, here is your last chance to get them in.Best,-john-________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: BPA Newsletter PDF
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: BPA Newsletter PDF

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Tim White
Hi John...I think my subscription has now expired but I hadnt received a newsletterin some time. Can we pay online yet?Kind regardsScott DawsonAustralia--------Tamworth, AustraliaBuilding a Corvair Powered Pietenpol Air Camperwww.scottyspietenpol.comFuslage now on its undercarriage! About to start wing spars...Corvair engine atRoy's Garage waiting to be modified.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: BPA Newsletter PDF
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Larry Vetter"
Short wood fuse. Cabanes an inch or two longer. Cutout for rear cockpit access.Dual controls, no instruments in front. Wood gear, Harley wheels. Cont a65,mid time, great runner. Slick mags with about 350 hrs. Metal prop. Singlepiece wing. Will come with fresh annual. Regularly flown. Latex paint. Matcotailwheel. Carlson aluminum wing struts. Airframe has about 350 hours. Full logs. I bought it from the builder, the lateDick Navratil.Search nx2rn on you tube, that's my son soloing it. Will deliver about anywhere, love cross countries in this plane! Will deliverto brodhead, you can fly it home. I have hangar space arranged in brodhead ifyou need some time.$10,000. Call and chat if interested, 423 580 1383. Selling to take advantageof a great deal offered to me in another plane. If that deal falls through,I'll take this off the market. Offered here first, will post on barnstormers soon.Mike DanfordRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Corvair prop?
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
I had an old prop that I kept from a project Piet. There is no name on it but itsstamped 64X30. I mounted it and now get 2850-to 2900 static which is in linewith some others get with the same pitch. I wonder if it would get more withthe OT-10 cam? I'd like to go to a 66 or 68 dia. and keep the 30 or close toit...Wonder if that Cloud cars prop that was advertised for a Corvair is stillavailable?,,,,,,, Can't believe Brodhead is just a month awayRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 16:41:42 +0000 (UTC)