Pietenpol-List: VW weight-- VW or Model A for a Scout?

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: VW weight-- VW or Model A for a Scout?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Timothy Willis
Subject: Pietenpol-List: VW weight-- VW or Model A for a Scout?
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: VW weight-- VW or Model A for a Scout?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "FritzW"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: video of a VW powered Pietenpol ground runYes. the LG looks similar to what I have on Mine. Piper cub gear a laGrega. However, It does look "spindley" Those tires are also pretLty small.That engine sounds good. I wonder if it ever flew.That plane looks good from the video.Blue skies,Steve DOn Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 5:59 PM, Cuy, Michael D. (GRC-LME0)[VantagePartners, LLC] wrote:>>> https://youtu.be/Zd0OtA9Du-k>>> This is the only VW powered Pietenpol that I have ever seen running and> there are no videos that I know of where this one>> is flying so that and 50 cents is worth about 50 cents.>>> I must say that this =9CPietenpol=9D (it has a very light-weight looking> landing gear which has the GN-1 attach configuration) looks>> like it was built with extreme attention to keeping it light butwho> knows if it has flown or how well.>>> Mike C.>>> PS- for me, personally, the best bang for the buck and most reliable> engine for the Pietenpol is the A-65 thru 0-200 series engines.>> I personally love the sound of a Model A Ford engine and I think the> Corvair engines sound great but for me, personally..I have 18 years>> of Pietenpol flying time behind an A-65 and trust it more than most of the> dogs I=99ve had and I really love and trust dogs. (Except when>> you leave a pork chop on your dinner plate and run to the kitchen for a> napkin or take a bathroom breakJ ! )>-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: VW weight-- VW or Model A for a Scout?
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
I've got two RevMaster 2100D's gathering dust in the hangar. (they're for saleBTW) One's NOS with all the bells and whistles and weighs right at 200 lbs w/ooil, prop, exhaust. It's the wrong engine for a Pietenpol (no easy way to put a redrive on it) butthe weights not so far off that you'd need a crazy long motor mount.--------Isous Christos, Theou Yios, StrRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: VW weight-- VW or Model A for a Scout?

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: VW weight-- VW or Model A for a Scout?It is interesting that they have not been very successful on Piets. The 1/2VWs work on smaller planes (Ultra Piet) and the full VWs work on Soneris,KR2s Volksplanes, and a host of other low and slow planes. But they havenot been successful on Piets or The Bower's fly baby. Two planes withsimilar performance envelopes (and lots of drag)Oh well, I have a Continental A65.Blue Skies,Steve D.On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 6:51 PM, FritzW wrote:>> I've got two RevMaster 2100D's gathering dust in the hangar. (they're for> sale BTW) One's NOS with all the bells and whistles and weighs right at 200> lbs w/o oil, prop, exhaust.>> It's the wrong engine for a Pietenpol (no easy way to put a redrive on it)> but the weights not so far off that you'd need a crazy long motor mount.>> --------> I=C4=93sous Christos, Theou Yios, S=C5=8Dt=C4=93r>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ======>>-- Blue Skies,Steve D________________________________________________________________________________