Pietenpol-List: Emergency checklist s

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Emergency checklist s

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Wondering what the purpose is for the 1/4 inch hole for for the left front gear. Doesn't seem to be a clearance problem with the lug hinge below. Also 1/4" as opposed to 3/16. Can anyone help?Thanks!JackTheSent from my iPadJack Textor________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2015 21:29:44 -0500Subject: Pietenpol-List: Emergency checklist s
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Split gear question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jack
Jack,While the detail is not truly clear (seems like almost every other part on thisgear is called a "lug",) my guess is that the special hole for the left frontfitting is there because the 1/4" thick "lug" that is welded to the bracket (andalso welded to the 3/4" round "lug") will end up covering one of the 3/16"dia holes. The left and right bracket weldments are not really mirror imagesof each other. On the right gear, the 1/4" thick lug is mounted at the front endof the 3/4" round lug, whereas, on the left gear it is mounted at the rearof the round lug (a difference of 1".) In the attached photo, I've circled theleft bracket, and it sure looks like the rear 3/16" hole would not be accessible.As for why the hole is 1/4", and not 3/16", it is probably to allow a "beefed-up"fastener (1/4" dia) to be used, to compensate for the less than ideal, non-symmetricfastener location. This bolt will be subjected to higher loads thanthe locations marked for 3/16" holes.Curiously, if you look at the drawing, the rear left bracket is drawn with onlyone bolt shown. Pretty sure that is simply an accidentally omitted detail -there should be two bolts shown.Bill C.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ttachments: http://forums.matronics.com//files/gear ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Split gear question
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Emergency checklist s

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ray Krause
Steve;This is likely to get me booted off the list, but at this point I've got nothingto lose except my pride and a few friends.I don't have any printed checklists for Air Camper NX41CC.I'll admit that I'm not military or ex-military, never been a corporate pilot,never flown anything bigger or heavier than a turbo Seneca and the only jet I'veflown was a Prowler simulator, so maybe I don't deserve to fly in airspacewith real pilots, but I've scratched my head and haven't come up with enough thingsto put on a checklist for a no-electrics, no-radios, no-nothing know-nothinglike me and Scout. What I learned in my early years of flying a hand-prop40HP Cub was CIGARS and that was it. Seems to be all I need for the Piet.C-ontrols free, correct, and full travel.I-nstruments set (altimeter is all I've got that's adjustable).G-as turned on.A-ttitude (no trim on my airplane, but I check "my" attitude)R-unup.S-afety (seatbelts secured, nothing loose in the cockpit).On downwind there isn't much to check. If I stretched it to a GUMPS mnemonic checklist,if the Gas wasn't on, I wouldn't be flying; there is no Undercarriageto lower; no Manifold pressure adjustment; no Prop adjustment; and that justleaves Safety checks. Don't need a checklist for that.Carb heat is the one thing I've always got to manage, but that's it. I'm surethere are good speeds to be aware of when flying this airplane and I don't meanto make light of it, but the airspeed range of my Air Camper from stall to Vneis only something like 60 MPH and if I'm flying it in a stable configuration,I'm in the middle of that range and everything is pretty good. I could probablysqueeze a little extra glide out of it if I held best glide instead of 5-7MPH either side of it, but it's more work to watch the airspeed indicator to make that happen than it is to keep my head out of the cockpit looking fora good place to land. I'd lose more altitude fumbling around looking for a checklistto nail a best glide speed than I would just flying the airplane to adecent landing spot.Checklists are good and they are necessary. My last biennial flight review wasin an airplane with a full glass cockpit and 13 fuel sump points to check. Backupsteam gauge instruments, electric system, radios, dozens of switches andbreakers, lights, and checklists for everything under the sun. No GUMPS, noCIGARS... you fly these airplanes by the checklists and I get that. I'm justnot sure what you could put on a Piet checklist (no electrics, no radios) thatyou don't already know.I would duck for cover after coming out as a checklist heretic but it gets harderthe older I get so maybe I'll just take the bullets and see if I survive.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________