Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: rudder cables and tape and now trim

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: rudder cables and tape and now trim

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: rudder cables and tape and now trim
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: West Coast Piet Gathering

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Hi All,Just 4 more weekends till the West Coast Piet Gathering. I sure hope that thosewho can come out for the event. I'm looking forward to seeing the Piets andPietpeople again.Oscar, I sure hope that you can make it this year. Cheers,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: West Coast Piet Gathering
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: rudder cables and tape and now trim

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Scott, you know how much I would love to join up with Gary Boothe and Fritz Watsonin the Sacramento area and fly down to Frazier Lake with them as a flightof three! We have talked about it. I will tell you right now that I put my wifeon a plane to TX at 5 this morning. Her mother was assaulted yesterday inthe Walmart parking lot down in our hometown of Laredo, TX by a purse-snatcher.When my 86-year-old mother in law wouldn't let go of the purse, she got pushedto the pavement and dragged by the assailant but by then several onlookershad headed over to assist and the assailant (a female, with a male accomplicein an idling vehicle) split the scene. My mother in law got a very nasty gashto the back of her head, hematoma on her head and hip where she hit the pavement,in and out of consciousness, all of that. Of course no open beds at thehospital so she spent the next 24+ hours in a cubicle in the ER where one cannotget any rest, her doctor was out of town on vacation so nobody wanted toorder anything for her without knowing what meds she was on, etc. etc.... andto top it off she can't stand confined spaces so the most important test theywanted to run on her (MRI), she refused. We were concerned about a concussionand bleeding on the brain.All of which is to say that my wife is down in TX for the duration, caring forher mother, and we don't know what level of care she will require. She has noone besides my wife to care for her and she refuses to come up to Oregon becauseshe has lived in her house for 60+ years and plans to die there. So I justdon't know what, when, where, or how right now. She seems to be doing a littlebetter today and is now in a private room with some pain meds for her hip,but who knows. My guess is that I'm not going to be able to leave the house,dogs, garden, and all this stuff if my wife is still away when the fly-in happens.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: rudder cables and tape and now trim
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: West Coast Piet Gathering

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
Steve; it is not immediately apparent from the photo, but imagine this. One commonway of trimming the elevator is to apply 'bias' to one or both of the elevatorwalking beam arms by using springs. Apply more tension to the spring onthe upper arm and the tail goes down. Apply more tension to the spring on thelower arm and the tail goes up. I decided to just apply variable tension tothe upper arm because the time when I most notice having to hold pressure onthe stick is when I fly the airplane solo right after filling the nose tank. That's the way I do most of my flying, so I have to apply gentle back-stick tillthe fuel burns off. If I just go out for a spin after topping the tank, Ihave to hold back-stick most or all of the flight so I decided to apply 'bias'to the upper arm of the walking beam to take care of that.Neither the pulley nor the doubled bungee were really necessary, but I needed morebias than just a single bungee could produce so I doubled it back and useda pulley in the middle to give me a point of connection by which to adjust thetrim. You can see the rest of it here:http://www.flysquirrel.net/piets/trim.htmlI reach down and grab the ring, drop the knot on the string out of its notch, andeither ease the string back to release tension on the bungee (lower the nose)or pull it out to the next notch to increase tension (raise the nose), andraise the knot into the notch to hold the setting. When I got the airplane, Corkyhad a bungee wrapped around the control stick and he would slide it up ordown the stick to provide more or less aft pull on the stick. I didn't likethat setup so I changed it.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: West Coast Piet Gathering
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: rudder cables and tape and now trim

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
Oscar,So sorry to hear about this. Your number one priority now is your wife and hermother. I completely understand. This world is so full of thugs. It's a shamethat we can't even go to a local store without worry. Our thought and prayers are with you and your family. Besr regards,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: rudder cables and tape and now trim