Pietenpol-List: Test fit

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Test fit

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "GregA"
Steve, I know you were just using the C-172/G1000 platform as an example, but ifsomeone out there in Pietropolis actually has a need to spin up on the G1000,I have the Garmin G1000 Checkout CD (from Sporty's) here in my library and suream not using it. Available on loan to anyone who might need it. There isa lot to be said for training videos and simulators because the learning is doneunder far less pressure and with the ability to review things or pause things.In the airplane, not so much ;o) The big drawback of sim time is that time"in actual" is physically and emotionally a lot different from sim time oreven time under the Foggles.Of course, there are sims and then there are sims. I've mentioned this before,but I got to fly the EA-6B Prowler sim at Whidbey Island NAS and I can tell you,the sweat on my back and hands was real because the sim is so real ;o) Myright-seater was good friend LtCol (USMC, ret) Kyle "Itchy" Rash, who flew andinstructed in the Prowler, and who served several tours in remote desert placesof the world. Although he had no controls on his side, his voice in the headsetwas a tremendous help. And I never heard a peep from the two ECMO back-seatersthe whole time I flew. Maybe that's because the Prowler sim doesn'thave the back seats ;o)--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 power, 72x36 Culver propRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Test fit
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Test fit

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Just joined the list. Thinking about building a Piet and would like to talk witha few builders/owners over the next several months and look at a finished orsemi-finished airplane to see how I (and maybe the wife) would fit (would takea ride too if offered!). I'm currently in Reno, but relocating to westernColorado later this spring. I have built and currently fly an RV9 so willingto fly most places in the west as needed.Also would like some real-world input on the build time. Took me approximately1250 hours to complete the RV, including a few non-stock modifications. I realizethat the Piet is different, but just trying to get an estimate of time commitment.Thanks,GregRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Test fit
matronics

Post by matronics »

Greg;If you're ever up this way to southern Oregon, you're welcome to sit in my Pietanytime. Over in Colorado, you'll find Ken Bickers up in the Denver/Ft Collinsarea and Rick Holland, who I think is in the same area. However, when yousay 'western Colorado', you may be talking about over in Grand Junction, whichis quite a ways from there.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 power, 72x36 Culver propRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Test fit
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "GregA"
Greg;I forgot... you've got a lot more Piets closer to you in CA than to me up herein OR. There are a couple in the Sacramento area alone! Fritz Watson, Gary Boothe,Chris Tracy, others. And if you're still here the first weekend in June,the West Coast Piet Fly-In is held over at Frazier Lake Airpark, by Hollister...about 300 SM from Reno.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 power, 72x36 Culver propRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Test fit
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Douwe Blumberg"
Oscar,Thanks for the offer. Medford is a pretty easy flight from Reno, and we have familyin Eugene, so I may take you up on the offer sooner or later. And/or maybesome of the CA folks will reply. I won't make the fly-in as I spend mostof my summers in northern BC, from late May through September. We will be nearGrand Junction when moved (actually, Delta). Front Range won't be too far andI have college buddies in Ft. Collins and Denver both, so will probably beover there at one point or another.Cheers,GregRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: "copper" prop edging

Post by matronics »

I believe Dan Helsper posted his experiments with sheathing his prop LE withbrass on the FB page. Never seen copper used.He can probably chime in.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: "copper" prop edging
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: helspersew(at)aol.com
What I've heard about adding metal leading edge protection may just be a falsehood,but I've read that moisture can collect under the metal where it's not seen,and lead to wood rot without any way to be aware of it.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 power, 72x36 Culver propRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 16:57:13 -0500
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: "copper" prop edging

Post by matronics »

Hi Dan,That is beautiful work! I was just wondering if you you used an peening hammer/bag, then an english wheel to get the shape? Whatever you did, it looks great!Mark StanleyPiet build in progress.Japan
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Riblett to Spar Fit

Post by matronics »

Ah yes, but aluminum is some 5.6 times heavier than spruce.Divide that 42000 lb by 5.6 and what have you got? 7500 psi.Hmmmm. Your Al spar is going to be heavier except forsome judicious hole cutting in the web area.ClifYou cannot escape. Every daya part of you turns to shit.>> Terry; thanks for the pix of your rib-to-spar interface. And just to add > one last bit to what I wrote about spar strength, changing the material > from wood to metal makes a vast change in the strength, other things being > equal. Spruce has a modulus of rupture (or bending strength) of about > 9,400 psi whereas (to use a metal that is familiar to builders) for > 6061-T6 aluminum it is 42,000 psi. If someone were to take the time to > carefully route, dado, rabbet, and otherwise shape a spruce spar into the > same dimensions and modified "I" configuration as your metal spar, not > only would it be uselessly flimsy, even properly restrained it could only > carry about 1/5 the bending stress that yours can.... Riblett or no > Riblett.>> --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power, 72x36 Culver prop>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 632#466632>>> -----> No virus found in this message.> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com> ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 06:56:55 -0500
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: "copper" prop edging

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
That is very cool. I might try that on my Model A prop when I get to it.JerryPrairie City, IA
matronics

Post by matronics »

Thanks Dan, Yes, truly great work! I have a long way to go before I need a prop but I do like the look of a well built wooden prop!Thanks for the pic's!CheersMark StanleyJapan
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> helspersew(at)aol.com
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: "copper" prop edgingWater will get between metal leading edge and wooden prop and cause prop to rot. (Please don't ask how I found this out)> On Feb 28, 2017, at 5:09 AM, M W Stanley wrote:> > Thanks Dan,> > Yes, truly great work!> I have a long way to go before I need a prop but I do like the look of a well built wooden prop!> Thanks for the pic's!> > Cheers> Mark Stanley> Japan>