stabilizer turnbuckle

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
JimBob

stabilizer turnbuckle

Post by JimBob »

Sorry if this has already been addressed but I have been unable to find.
Using 1/8" cable for stabilizers but unable to figure out the correct turnbuckle to use.
Here is my guess: AN393 / MS20392-17
Too expensive to guess though.
Thoughts?
Recommendations?
taildrags

Re: stabilizer turnbuckle

Post by taildrags »

JimBob; using 1/8" cable for the tail brace wires? The breaking strength of that cable, whether 1x19 or 7x19 (1x19 for standing rigging or 7x19 for cables running and flexing over pulleys) is at least 2000 lbs and those wires will never see that. You should consider something a little thinner, perhaps 3/32". In either 7x7 or 7x19, the breaking strength is roughly 1000 lbs and that's a lot of force. Once you determine the cable strength, you can select the turnbuckles to provide equal or better strength than the cable so you don't spend extra money and add extra weight for larger turnbuckles. However, let's hear what others have done.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
JimBob

Post by JimBob »

Understand. The only reason I'm using 1/8" is because thats what I've got. Just trying to save some $$. However, if bigger/stronger turnbuckles cost more to offset the cost of the smaller cable, then....?
tom kreiner

Post by tom kreiner »

Have you considered the weight of the 1/8 cable & turnbuckles compared to 3/32?

Since the tail of the Piet is notoriously heavy, any weight you can drop is rather large in the overall scheme of things.

A few ounces here, a few ounces there, and all of a sudden you've dropped significant weight.

One thing you'll hear over & over is: build it simple & build it light.

Best of luck on your project.