Brake master cylinder mountings

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Richard Roller

Re: Brake master cylinder mountings

Post by Richard Roller »

Oscar. They are 6:00 x 6 tires. The new wheels are narrow and even though they say they will mount the 8:00 x 6 tires I couldn't get the wheel half's together without pinching the tubes. I ruined one tube trying. I had a hard enough time with the smaller 6:00 x 6 tubes.
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

Taxied around today. They are not as strong as I would like. Hopefully they will be better when the pucks wear in. I rechecked the ratio of pedal length to master cylinder arm and it is correct. I really have to get into them to stop the Piet.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Was there a break-in routine specified for the new brakes? When I replaced the pads on my brakes with new Rapco linings, there was a procedure that basically involved some fast taxi while dragging the brakes to heat them up. May be different for other brakes, other pads. Here's what Rapco says about theirs. "If brakes don't hold the aircraft stationary, repeat steps 1 through 2." Mine did.
linings.JPG
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

Yes there is a break in routine and they are getting better as I taxi.
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

N34KP flew again today! The new wheels and brakes worked well, they track straight. I did cut the grass while I was at it.
20210603_154211.jpg
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Richard; I take it from where the grass is way up on the tail brace wires that you're glad the airplane is painted a bright color? Otherwise, you'd be so deep in the grass when you stop that you might lose the airplane in that tall stuff ;o) Good heavens, man-! If you're landing in stuff that tall, you sure shouldn't need brakes!!

-Oscar
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

We've had a lot of rain. They finally got a chance to mow yesterday and today. Maybe they should bale it.
Last edited by Richard Roller on Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

I've put 2 hours on the new wheels and brakes, 7 touch and goes and landings. So far no problems. The a/c continues to track straight and to be docile on landing. I currently have 15lbs. of air pressure in the tires. Probably about right if I take a passenger up, but I have to ride the brakes a lot taxiing on asphalt. I may take a pound or two out and see if that helps.
photo7.jpg
bob turner

Post by bob turner »

New guy here, with a finished and test-flown bird, newly purchased.

One brake lever. One successful test flight by my old buddy Manuel Sparks, and one nose-over, all 15 years ago.

I am going to put heel brakes in - there is room for Cub-like Scott masters, but with the bar style rudder control, they may have to be too far back. An alternative is Grove “pull” cylinders, using built-up frames.

Looking for geometry hints. Anybody successfully use Scott masters?

Toe brakes are out. I have them on my Decathlon, and when I really need brakes my heels start searching . . .