Scrounge Dawg Piet Flies again

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
rightforlineup

Scrounge Dawg Piet Flies again

Post by rightforlineup »

Happy to report that 'Piety' (GN-1 Aircamper) took to the skies again last week. Our EAA Chapter built her, and after being damaged in a directional control incident, languished for a few years. Broke my heart to see her sit. Repairs and refurbishment ended up being way more substantial than anticipated, but I learned a lot in the process. Last Wednesday the list of "must dos" reached zero so as a Veterans' Day present to myself took her up for a couple of laps. If you are near St. Louis please stop in to Chapter 64 at Millstadt, IL (please note prior permission, noise abatement procedures and liability waivers at 1IL4.com); we have a couple of Flybabies here as well. Special thanks to Tom Wottreng who rebuilt the motor (purrrr!) and went way above the call of duty in lending his expertise and experience.
Piety2.jpg
Piety1.jpg
Bob Miller EAA64
GN-1 Aircamper
Based IL91 Columbia, IL
Richard Roller

Re: Scrounge Dawg Piet Flies again

Post by Richard Roller »

Good deal!
rightforlineup

Post by rightforlineup »

Thanks Richard. Sure was a weird feeling flying it the first time -- as if 60% of my body was in the breeze. And the originals didn't even have seat belts :lol:
rightforlineup

Post by rightforlineup »

Engine break-in in a GN-1 is a lot colder but a lot more fun than brand C, M, or P.
https://youtu.be/95sejJ2QelU?t=8
Screenshot 2020-12-08 075836.jpg
Bob Miller EAA64
GN-1 Aircamper
Based IL91 Columbia, IL