Pietenpol Fleet Size

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
at7000ft

Pietenpol Fleet Size

Post by at7000ft »

Recent Avweb article about the FAA homebuilt fleet size indicates that homebuilt completions are down a bunch from a decade ago (mostly because the FAA now requires reregistration every three years so aircraft no longer active are removed from the lists), EXCEPT for the Pietenpol:

"While most older homebuilt designs were strongly affected by the FAA reregistration effort, the Pietenpol saw a relatively low drop in fleet size."

Just keep building em guys, maybe I will start a second Piet project just for fun (maybe a welded fuse this time).

Rick H

https://www.avweb.com/recent-updates/ex ... ilts-gone/
KenBickers

Re: Pietenpol Fleet Size

Post by KenBickers »

Interesting article, Rick. Thanks for posting.

I'm definitely going to head down your way in my Piet this spring, maybe in conjunction with one of the monthly pancake breakfasts at Kiowa. We should plan to meet up for a two ship mass arrival.

Cheers, Ken
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Ken, I'm having trouble visualizing "a two-ship mass arrival" of Air Campers :lol:

-Oscar
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

Oscar, it's all in the visualization. With Rick's Corvair and my O-200, we'll be cranking along at nearly .1 mach. We'll sweep down out of the eastern sky with the sun behind us, followed by a daring low level pass, maybe two or even three. It will be a sight to remember. For generations to come people will swear that there were hordes of Piets swarming over the barren fields of Kiowa that spring morning. Ken
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Oh, what a stirring sight, to be sure! Will there be smoke?

-OZ
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

Oscar, smoke would alert the Hun to our position. Surprise is essential -- rule number one of Dicta Boelcke. As our French brothers on the Western Front might say, bonne chance, Ken
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Well, I'm not on the Western Front but I am on the West Coast. And I speak some French and really like French fries. I also own a white scarf and goggles. I quit smoking in 1973 but maybe somebody will let me fly in their escadrille...

-OZ
at7000ft

Post by at7000ft »

KenBickers wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:33 pm Interesting article, Rick. Thanks for posting.

I'm definitely going to head down your way in my Piet this spring, maybe in conjunction with one of the monthly pancake breakfasts at Kiowa. We should plan to meet up for a two ship mass arrival.

Cheers, Ken
Sounds good Ken, Merry Christmas.

Rick