Stewart Systems Question

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
r1200gsDave

Stewart Systems Question

Post by r1200gsDave »

I am nearly finished with the faric work on the first wing and now I am getting ready to seal the fabric. There are a few videos from Stewart Systems that talk about it and it seems that there are (at least) two methods.

One cuts the EkoBond with water and you apply it on and then EkoFill for the primer.

Another skips that EkoBond treatment and just uses EkoFIll.

Has any of you done either method and what is your preference?

Happy New Year!

Dave
taildrags

Re: Stewart Systems Question

Post by taildrags »

I don't have personal experience, but an A&P friend of mine has the following comments about it

-Oscar

I've heard of both methods and can't say that I have a preference of one over the other. While I have "supervised" and done the paperwork for two recovers with Stewart system, I have no actual "hands on" experience with it, so can't make a recommendation one way or the other. In my mind, it would be a question of how well the Ecofill sticks to the synthetic fabric. If it sticks really well, then there's no need to thin and apply more of the Ecobond. If the Ecobond adheres to the fabric better than the Ecofill, then I would thin and apply it first. But I really don't have an answer.
r1200gsDave

Post by r1200gsDave »

Thanks Oscar!
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

It has been several years since I covered my Piet, so my recollection of the steps is a bit fuzzy.

What isn't fuzzy is how much I preferred the Stewart System compared to the Stits Polyfiber system.

My recollection is that after fabric is glued to wood and tapes are glued over all places where additional support is required, you move directly to EcoFill. After cleaning the surfaces with EcoClean (correct me if that isn't quite the name) and a rinse, you want to have the fabric slightly wet when applying the EcoFill. Not dripping wet, just slightly wet. If the fabric has dried after cleaning, a misting setting on a spray bottle works great. The slight dampness helps pull the EcoFill into the weave as the water dries. From there, follow the directions for application of cross-coats, followed by more cross-coats, with light sanding between pairs of cross-coats.

Enjoy. This phase goes remarkably fast.

Cheers, Ken
r1200gsDave

Post by r1200gsDave »

I called the company and talked to tech support. In typical tech support fashion I got a very pleasant RTFM.... in section 10 we talk about it..

However, he did go on to explain the correct way is the EkoBond step first. The reasoning for that is to put a moisture barrier on the inside of the fabric and the reason that you dilute it is to allow the material to penetrate with out having to wipe off.

He went on to say that it was the method in the 90's and then the started skipping it but have since returned to recommending the EkoBond step first.

sure enough, on page 37 is the answer.
https://stewartsystems.aero/wp-content/ ... d-copy.pdf

Have a great day folks.

Dave
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

I was informed when helping to skin an L-3 for the D-Day museum that there was some problem with delamination if not doing the diluted Ekobond step first. I don't know how true that is but I do plan to add this step when I get to that point on my Piet.