Vertical/Horizontal Stabilizer Brackets

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
PoconoJohn

Vertical/Horizontal Stabilizer Brackets

Post by PoconoJohn »

At the front of the horizontal stabilizer, the plans call for two screws to connect it to the fuselage. Then there are the brackets at the base of the vertical stabilizer. I see in photos builders are using bolts. I saw one where it appears screws were used (vertically) at the rear in the area where there are four brackets (but bolts horizontally connecting the opposite side bracket).

I'm going to assume bolts is the way to go. AN3 bolts will work in the holes I made, I just have to figure out the length.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Would you do something differently? After this, I start gluing the horizontal stabilizer. I already drilled the holes for the brace wire fittings.

While I'm here....the horizontal stabilizer leading edge is rounded with a lip. Did anyone flatten (sand) the part that contacts the fuselage?

I'll use a corvair engine. I plan to swing the the vertical stabilizer leading edge 1/2" to aircraft right (rear will be on center)

Thank you!
doug bryant

Re: Vertical/Horizontal Stabilizer Brackets

Post by doug bryant »

(short version) im at the same point on mine and will use bolts and shims to fill space.
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Great! Then any builder that already built it can help both of us at once.
Earl Brown

Post by Earl Brown »

I am using bolts. These are temporary- just holding the tail so I can run the rudder and elevator cables but it's how I'm attaching them.
IMG_5922.jpg
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Hi Earl! Thanks! I'll use bolts everywhere. AN3 should work.
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

By the way Earl, did you build the HS first, then drill through with a hand drill after you located the bolt locations? I want to drill the HS beams on my drill press to ensure they are straight, but that would be before assembly.
Earl Brown

Post by Earl Brown »

I built the HS first then drilled the holes.
I used one of these for the holes, but you can make a drill guide pretty easily.
https://www.browntool.com/Listview/tab ... ch=Egg+cup