Thinking about landinding gear

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
PoconoJohn

Thinking about landinding gear

Post by PoconoJohn »

It looks like my tail section will be complete shortly. I'm torn between building the upper parts of the fuselage or the gear next. If I go with the gear first, I can easily flip the plane upside down for that work. When that's done, then onto the instrument panel, turtle deck, etc.

I'm going to have split gear with the small tires (like a cub). I have the five William Wynn articles and a link to a web page on his site. Any words of advice before I head off on this next phase?

Thanks!

John C
Earl Brown

Re: Thinking about landinding gear

Post by Earl Brown »

Hey John

I just recently finished up my gear. Working on the rudder/elevator controls now.
Message me if I can help.

Earl
IMG_5498.jpg
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

I think it's nice to get the fuselage on the gear as soon as you can, for two reasons: (1) it's easier to roll around that way, and (2) it elevates your excitement and satisfaction to see something that looks like an airplane. Of course you don't have to bolt up the gear if you know you'll be flipping the fuselage and adjusting this and that... you can just pin the mounting points by slipping some old screwdrivers in the pivots, or grabbing whatever hardware is handy around the shop, just so you can move the project to get better light, or get it out of the way of something, or look at it in the 3-point or full-stall when setting something else up like the engine mount or cabanes or controls.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Thank you Earl! Thank you Oscar!

John