question gear axle

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
jeffreyK

question gear axle

Post by jeffreyK »

I am drawing out and ordering front gear tubing and axle parts. I am looking at a 600 X 6 weld on axle. The plans didn't accommodate brakes. My question is what to use for the inside collar that has to be welded on and will accept the wheel/brake assembly.
taildrags

Re: question gear axle

Post by taildrags »

I have 6.00x6 Cleveland wheels and brakes on my Piet and would be happy to send photos of how it all attaches. Probably be useful to you since I have the wheels and brakes off the axles right now for overhaul, so you can see the axles and how they attach to the gear legs without anything else in the way. Not saying mine are the ONLY way, only one way.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

Oscar
That would be greatly appreciated. I will send you a short email so you have my address in case you no longer have it.
thank you.
Jeffrey KJ
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

20210501_150546.jpg
20210513_122848.jpg
20210513_122902.jpg
Do you get the newsletter? I wrote an article on converting N34KP to brakes. It's in the members section.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Jeffrey;

As you'll see from these pix of the starboard and port side axles on my airplane, they are stock items, bolted to matching pads that are welded to stubs that form clusters where the gear leg downtubes and the spring struts all attach. You may not be planning to use bolt-on Cleveland-style axle assemblies, but perhaps setups like mine and Richard Roller's will give you some ideas. Investigating my wheels and brakes, I have found that they are from a Beech Bonanza, so they are more than robust enough to handle an Air Camper. Parts are readily available, although not cheap unless you buy them used/salvaged. You will note that I had to use tapered aluminum shims (which are not cheap) on both sides and for both camber and toe, different on both sides, to get my gear geometry even-Steven and where I wanted the tires to track. I originally flew it with stacked washers between the matching pads instead of actual tapered shims, but that's not the proper or elegant way to get the tracking corrected. It is just about perfect now. -Oscar
stbd_axle.jpg
port_axle.jpg
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

This is all very helpful. I was able to look up Richard Roller's writeup converting his brakes. This gives me better direction. Thank you.
Jeffrey K
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

How are the ends of the "V" tubes squeezed flat? I've done it with smaller tube, but these pieces are hefty.

John C
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

I have been learning to work metal for this plane and I am not an expert. Having said that, when I've had to flatten one side or both such as for the gear tangs or the elevator bellcrank, I have been heating the end with an acetylene torch to red hot then putting it in a vise. I put pieces of steel with rounded upper edges in the vise so I get some taper instead of a sharp compression line on the tube. It usually takes two or three cycles and on the last effort I usually have to use a hand sledge to flatten the sides which still have a bit of round to them. Let them cool in air if using 4130. After doing all that I use the TIG welder to seal the ends. As I mentioned, I'm not an expert in this so there may well be better ways but this is working for me with the equipment I have.
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

I think we're both doing the same thing. With smaller pieces, I put metal pieces which are bent to the shape I need in the vise and place the tube in. I heat it up with a MAP-pro torch (not the usual torch). I then crank the vise. I get either both sides flared, or just one side, depending on what I need. This photo is for a part that needed only one side flattened.

I asked at EAA about this, and based on a pietenpol gear photo I showed (attached here), I was told the tube in the photo was cut in half at the end and a flat piece welded in. Then caps were welded in to close it off between the flat piece and the open tube area. Looking closely, I can see the weld.

I guess that's what I'll do.

Have you figured out where to place the axle (inches behind the firewall)? I have a post down a few lines under EAA 461.
Attachments
squish.jpg
piet270.jpg
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

I am planning on the gear to be per the manual 0.5" from the leading edge. I have a Corvair engine in parts in my garage. Do you have WW weight and balance manual? It's an eye opener.
JefffreyK
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Two pages to look over just to get more info and maybe ideas (if you haven't seen these yet):

https://flycorvair.net/2019/01/18/piete ... r-welding/

http://www.westcoastpiet.com/wood_gear_ ... alysis.htm

I have the WW weight & balance info from the newsletter series.

John C
SAntley

Post by SAntley »

PoconoJohn wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:24 pm Two pages to look over just to get more info and maybe ideas (if you haven't seen these yet):

https://flycorvair.net/2019/01/18/piete ... r-welding/

http://www.westcoastpiet.com/wood_gear_ ... alysis.htm

I have the WW weight & balance info from the newsletter series.

John C
In the first link it speaks about " 2012 BPAN newsletter, where all the CG articles were published ". What is the BPAN newsletter and how do I get to it?
Sam
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

You can order the Weight & Balance manual here: http://www.pietenpols.org/store/