Shock Struts

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
jeffreyK

Shock Struts

Post by jeffreyK »

I have decided to build the Die spring shock struts with exposed springs that I have seen on quite a few Piets. I've seen all sorts of finished pictures and even some video of them in action but have not been able to find any plans. There are several discussions about them in the forum but no plans. I have also seen the enclosed struts as well which I know how to build but those external tubes add several pounds which I would like to avoid.
Does anyone have a file on the construction of the exposed spring shocks or know a link I can use to get this done? I would appreciate it.
JeffreyK
gcardinal

Re: Shock Struts

Post by gcardinal »

Check here:

http://www.westcoastpiet.com/images/Con ... tled-1.JPG

Greg Cardinal
Minneapolis
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Spend a little time on Westcoastpiet. For starters, look at Jim Boyer's pictures, and Kurt Shipman's. I realize that those are pictures of complete, assembled spring struts, but you'll learn a lot about how they go together from those pictures.

-Oscar
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

Yes I've been to W Coast Piet. I have seen many pictures and knew something inside had to be done to allow the tube movement. I appreciate the diagram. It answers all my questions so I can proceed.
Many thanks.
JeffreyK