Front Fuel tank

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
r1200gsDave

Front Fuel tank

Post by r1200gsDave »

Hey Folks - I am looking for a fuel tank for the front, inside of the fuselage just ahead of the passenger seat.
I have heard that some folks have used a tank from a Cub.
I do not want much for capacity. Really just for spare and at first for taxi work. I am thinking about 5 gallons.
Any suggestions would be great.

Dave
JimBob

Re: Front Fuel tank

Post by JimBob »

I'm thinking of doing the same.
Disappointed no responses.
Have you found out anything?
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

I don't know about a Cub tank but here's what the conventional front-mounted tank looks like. Mine holds about 16 gallons so you can see that with just the curved top part, you could get your 5 gallon capacity.

The Grega GN-1 was designed to use quite a few Piper parts, so looking through the GN-1 plans might provide you with information on the use of a Cub fuel tank. I have the Grega plans and can look for them if you're interested, or I can check to see if they employ a Cub tank in the first place.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

nose_tank.jpg
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

On my first attempt at a fuel tank, I made one out of fiberglass ... or tried to, at least. What I learned was that I knew just enough about fiberglass to make a mess of it. It was very heavy and leaked.

On my second attempt, I made it out of cardboard and duct tape. After careful measurements, I sent the specs to Carlsons in Ohio where the main jack-of-all-trades guy welded up a tank for me. I'm not sure but it sounds like Carlsons may have closed its doors after selling its strut supplies to Wicks.

In any case, here's a couple pics. My tank has 16 gallon capacity, 14 useable. That's plenty. My butt and back are tired long before I get anywhere near the reserve level.

Cheers, Ken
Attachments
002 (2).JPG
001.JPG
JimBob

Post by JimBob »

Both excellent. Was hoping to find something plug-N-play but I am fortunate to have a local lad who makes magic with tig AL. Looks like it’s cardboard and tape for me.