Tire recommendation

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
PoconoJohn

Tire recommendation

Post by PoconoJohn »

I bought the axle's based on the plans size from AS&S and now need tires (and brakes). I want the small typical airplane tire like in the drawings. I'm not sure what to buy since I'm not sure how to integrate brakes. I plan on hydraulic brakes, maybe like go-kart brakes (still researching). Does the tire come with a rim that just slides on the axle? Should I get a all-in-one package such as this? https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... Brake3.php

Thanks!

John C
taildrags

Re: Tire recommendation

Post by taildrags »

John; there are several elements involved in the assembly you're looking at. Bolted to the landing gear legs are the axle stubs that stick out to the sides. Onto those, you slide the wheels, which have tires and tubes mounted onto them and typically also have a brake disc integral to them. Then there are hydraulic brake slave cylinders that grab onto the brake disc and mount to a bracket on the axle pad. The Grove wheel & brake kits that you sent the link to do not include the tires and tubes, or the axles (which you already have). Whatever you buy or acquire now that you have the axles, has to all mate to the axles that you have... diameter and length of the axle. Personally, I'd be looking for something that costs less than the $5000 that a pair of those Grove units cost, but it's your plane and your money. The used but reconditioned 6.00x6 Cleveland wheels and brakes that are on my Piet came off of a 1970s-era Beech Bonanza and are way more brake than the Piet needs, but for the builder of my plane, the price was right.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Thanks Oscar. I have the axle's from aircraft spruce that are 1.5" X 12". I'll see what I can find.

John C
jeffreyK

Post by jeffreyK »

John,
I am in the same position as you regarding which wheels to buy. I have the same axle. I noticed Matco has a formula online for determining just how much brake you need. You supply gross weight and landing speed and go from there. Even after getting the data the list of options is too big for me so I plan to call them for assistance in selection parameters.
Jeffrey Kornblum
PoconoJohn

Post by PoconoJohn »

Thanks!