cockpit covers

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
taildrags

cockpit covers

Post by taildrags »

Since it's been pretty quiet on this forum and we're starting to get into the no-fly winter season (for me, at least), I thought I would reopen a thread from the past... cockpit covers. I have a couple of ideas for a cover for my front cockpit and I'm going to tackle it this winter. If anyone else is planning to do the same, or has tips or pictures of your cover, here's a thread so we can share ideas. My legs are getting cold just thinking about that 30-something degree air blowing up my pants legs!

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
Richard Roller

Re: cockpit covers

Post by Richard Roller »

I'd like to see some input on this subject also.
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

I'm thinking I'm going to try to shape some aluminum tubing (small diameter) into a shape that follows the outline of the front cockpit and fits snugly over the coaming. Then one or two fore & aft stiffening tubes with pulled rivet gussets, then an aluminum skin riveted onto the tubular frame. What I'm trying to do is make a cover that can be secured with some simple bungee cord tarp tiedowns (those loop things with a ball on one end) from inside the cockpit. Easy on, easy off. I'm going to mess around with some poster board to see if it might work.

-Oscar
Richard Roller

Post by Richard Roller »

Sounds interesting. Do you have any sketches, doodles to see?
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

I'll be at the hangar this weekend and will make some sketches of my cover scheme.

-Oscar
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

Oscar, Richard,

I made my covers using Sunbrella marine grade awning cloth. My seams aren't the prettiest, but they do just fine.

On the forward pit, every other fastener is the a stem and ball type that requires positively pulling on the clip to put the fastener on or take it off, with snaps for the alternating fasteners. My thinking was that snaps might come loose in flight, given all the turbulent air that beats down around the cockpits. I don't want a cockpit cover coming loose and fowling up controls or tangling in cross-brace wires.

On the rear pit, I used snaps all the way around. I only cover that pit when rain looks likely. And obviously it is never covered when in flight -- though that would be a way, I suppose, to replicate IMC conditions in a Piet :)

The secret to making these was a a little tiny tool sold by (I think) Sailrite. It screws temporarily into the position where the permanent fastener will be located on the fuselage. It has a little needle on the top of it. It looks a bit like a WWI German helmet of the sort in Colonel Klink's office in Hogan's Heroes. This allows the fabric to be stretched to remove wrinkles before installing the fastener into the cloth cover. Working your way around, it makes a nice clean installation. Fun, too.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures from the installation process.

Cheers, Ken
Last edited by KenBickers on Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

I'm in luck. It turns out photos of the fasteners had been transfered to my computer. Meanwhile I'll look for some with the covers in place.
Attachments
IMG_3068.JPG
IMG_3069.JPG
IMG_3066.JPG
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

Here's a photo with the covers in place.
Attachments
IMG_1923.JPG
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Ken; and you fly the plane with the front cover in place? Secure?

-Oscar
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

Oscar,

Yes, the front cover does seem to keep my feet and legs a bit warmer in flight. Also it appears that I pick up a mph or two in cruise speed when the front cover is in place based on a constant throttle setting of 2400 rpm.

Note that I have positive locking stem-and-ball fasteners across the front of the forward cockpit and the locking stem-and-ball fasteners alternating with fabric snaps on the back of that cover. On the two sides, I have only regular snaps. I don't think I would fly with it in place were it not for the locking stem-and-ball fasteners.

Cheers, Ken
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Ken, thanks for the excellent ideas and details. At the moment I'm fixated on sheet aluminum for a cover, but I haven't finalized my thinking yet. Earlier I had thought of ripstop nylon, but I can just see that diaphragm drumming in the wind and propwash and I don't want that. I'm encouraged by your comments about a noticeable reduction of jetstreams through the cockpit, and I'll take another MPH of airspeed too ;o)

-Oscar
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Wow. I just viewed the little how-to demonstration video on Sailrite's site and I think I'm sold on their Loxx fasteners and method! Like you, I already have snaps around the cockpits for the non-flight covers, but I think I'll do what you did and introduce the Loxx fasteners for the front cockpit and see just how much fun it is to make these covers with the cool little Loxx fasteners. I even thought I might make an aluminum cover with the Loxx fasteners, but what for? Aluminum can take a crease or dent that fabric won't, and fabric has 'give' that aluminum doesn't. Great idea, Ken!

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
danoliver

Post by danoliver »

I tested this cover out today and it seems to work pretty good. It’s just screwed in place for now just to see how it does. Definitely keeps the draft out and I didn’t notice it flopping around at all. I will change to easier fasters at some point. The fabric is “Top Gun” from Joann.
8FE2EC5E-3DB5-478D-8619-0DF2C3078BC1.jpeg
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

That style of cover should ride out of the slipstream, so less buffeting and drumming than covers that follow the top curve of the fuselage. I'm going with the curved style since it should also serve to shed rain.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Chris_899DP

Post by Chris_899DP »

A few weeks ago I made a set of the curved style covers for my piet. I had originally intended to add additional snaps to the forward cover to facilitate flying with it installed but after seeing Dan's across the longerons cover it got me thinking that a simple 1/8" ply plate installed in the same fashion would be a terrific solution for my cold weather flying.

Thanks for the idea!
Chris
Attachments
20221119_162600.jpg
20221119_162426.jpg
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Okay, so I finally got my front cockpit cover fabricated and installed. My thanks to Ken Bickers for the excellent narrative and photos of how he did his, and also the source information for where he got the fasteners and tools. I followed Ken's design but limited mine to only one cover for the front cockpit since I already have one for the rear, which I would never have in place in flight anyway. I also limited the number of fasteners used on mine so as not to make any new holes in anything. The fasteners are very, very secure but I have yet to taxi test or flight test with the cover in place. And mine is nowhere near as nicely fitted as Ken's is but it should be good enough to cut the gale force wind that comes shooting into the front cockpit and back into the rear when it's cold.
cover1.jpg
cover2.jpg
Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

Looks good, Oscar.

Soon it will be time to go out and give the new cover a test. Here, we have finally had some days above freezing for the first time in the new year. Today was in the 40s. Still a bit too frosty for me to venture out in an open cockpit, even with the front pit covered.

Cheers, Ken
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

PIREP: my first experience flying in cold temps with the new cockpit cover (thank you, Ken Bickers for the construction tips!). My report: talk about a world of difference! For me and my plane anyway, having the front cockpit covered during taxi and in flight made a tremendous difference in my comfort. No more cold air blasting up my pant legs or up into the rear cockpit and into my face. I think it's also a tad quieter in the cockpit this way, too. Cold weather flyers: try a front cockpit cover when flying solo, but go for some good attachment hardware. The stuff that I used, on Ken's recommendation, is from Sailrite and is designed for boats and awnings and things like that. Snaps that really snap, and some nifty "Loxx" fasteners that attach and release quickly, but when in place, they hold VERY securely. The plane came with some naugahyde cockpit covers that are fine for keeping dust and debris out of the cockpits in the hangar, but I tried the front one and the ordinary hardware store snaps popped open just in taxi and propwash so I decided to copy Ken's covers. Also, take extra time fitting the cover snugly when you fabricate it. Nothing worse that having a loose-fitting cover drumming around right in front of you in flight.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
rightforlineup

Post by rightforlineup »

Just finished:
IMG_5112.jpg
IMG_5111.jpg
Bob Miller EAA64
GN-1 Aircamper
Based IL91 Columbia, IL
taildrags

Post by taildrags »

Nice job of color selection, very nice installation of the fasteners, and the cover looks nice and taut. Let's have a PIREP once you fly it!

-Oscar
KenBickers

Post by KenBickers »

Looks good, Bob. Nice job on the cover.

Cheers, Ken
rightforlineup

Post by rightforlineup »

Thanks for the kind words, Ken and Oscar. Pirep: quieter, warmer and less drafty.
  • I think I have about the right number of fasteners -- I went back and forth on how many to use. Not like a certified plane or kit where you just follow the instructions.
  • Standard snaps from Sailrite. Loxx are super easy to install, after making a hole they just screw on to the fabric.
  • I used a Harbor Freight tarp which is truly tough and has zero stretch. I did try to get it taut without going crazy with it while installing with the spikes that Sailrite sells.
  • I got some samples of stretchier faux leather that color matches better but I have a plan to redo all the aluminum coaming along with the cowl anyway, so the new covers will be different.
  • Happy with just the 4 Loxx fasteners in the corners. They are an insurance policy, as there is no way the cover is coming off of those 4 points. Fear would be damaging the plane with a flopping cover.
  • folded back and marked a 1" hem and had a local tailorshop do the sewing - $35
Attachments
IMG_5103.jpg
Bob Miller EAA64
GN-1 Aircamper
Based IL91 Columbia, IL