Moving ribs for drag wires

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Bobbyt

Moving ribs for drag wires

Post by Bobbyt »

Hello Pietenpol friends:

I know this topic has come up before and I scanned the posts, but maybe not deep enough because I couldn't find much info. I'd really like opinions about moving ribs (or not) to make way for drag (anti drag) wires. I measured multiple times and am confident my rib spacing is correct for the 3- piece wing. There are a few conflicts where the wire will touch the rib. Is there anyone who has an opinion on how to approach this (ie. moving ribs or cutting into them to make way for wires?)

Thank you all for your replies!
danoliver

Re: Moving ribs for drag wires

Post by danoliver »

Mr. t
What I did for my AirCamper was to just put the ribs where I wanted them and then notched out any cross piece that happened to be in the way of a cable. Then I went back and added a piece to double up behind the notch.
7-7-22 470.JPG
If you zoom in on this picture you can see a couple.
Now I'm not saying that's the best way to do it, just the way I did it
Bobbyt

Re: Moving ribs for drag wires

Post by Bobbyt »

Thank you for letting me know how you did it. Before permanently epoxying my ribs to the spars I wanted to get as much input as possible as there is no turning back! Thankfully I asked a few other builders what they did and they had good ideas too. So I ended up doing a little of both. I slightly moved the two ribs that you show notched. Now, when everything is dry I will add the drag/anti-drag wires and notch those same ribs just as you did.