Where to Buy Aluminum Rudder Hinges?

Discussion area for builders of Pietenpol aircraft, both beginners and experienced folks. Share ideas, ask questions and help build the Pietenpol community.
Blueflyer

Where to Buy Aluminum Rudder Hinges?

Post by Blueflyer »

In the plans, it says we can buy per-made aluminum rudder hinges. Where can we buy these hinges?
taildrags

Re: Where to Buy Aluminum Rudder Hinges?

Post by taildrags »

Blueflyer; those pre-made sets of cast aluminum hinges used to be available from Vitalis "Vi" Kapler, but he's no longer with us. Some years before he flew west, he offered for sale his stock of rough castings and the tools that he used to make the hinges from. I bought the works from him, but I don't offer the hinges in finished condition. Just took too much of my time to finish them, and since the operations are simple and straightforward, I thought builders would appreciate paying a lot less for just the rough castings and they could finish the hinges from that point on. The set of nine pairs of as-cast aluminum hinge halves costs $35 USD, postage paid to domestic U.S. addresses. The finishing of the cast parts is done with common shop/hand tools. I include some instructions on finishing them, as well as suggestions on how to go about it. I recognize that some builders want their parts to look like factory-finished, perfect items- while others are content to stay with the 1920s-era, farmer-built airplane look. Either way is fine for these parts. I accept Paypal, various kinds of checks depending on the bank, or silver at the current exchange rate ($23.17/oz, or about 1.5 oz at today's prices). I'm a little bit behind in getting them out since I'm very busy at work these days, but I have the parts in stock and can get a set of hinges out to you.

I've attached a picture of how they typically finish out, although the set in the picture had a custom spacing between the mounting screws.
hinges.jpg
Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power
Blueflyer

Post by Blueflyer »

that's outstanding Oscar! I sent you a private message to work out purchase details.
mbarkeralaska

Post by mbarkeralaska »

Hi Oscar
Mark Barker in Alaska.
I need 4 or 5 sets........ left a message on your phone and a PM on this forum.
Thanks so much........

take care
mark