Pietenpol-List: gap seals on air campers

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: gap seals on air campers

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: grhans(at)freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
> I saw some discussion on this subject recently but lost it when my> computer crashed. Am trying to rebuild. I have a Grega Air Camper and> would like to seal the aileron and tail feather gaps as I understand> this improves performance esp. on the ground. any advise, input ect will> be appreciated . I am doing a bunch of maintenance on the airframe at> this time and would like to include this in the project. Just got it out> of the FBO shop after a major on the Cont A- 80 and am anxious to fly> but am holding off to do all my maintenace . Also would like to hear> from any one that knows a source for the three sided squared off> windscreen or a source for plans for one. I only have one rounded type> on the rear pit now but saw the square ones at brodhead 96 and liked> them better. Thanks. Ernie Hagness, 2337 Willow Drive , Portland, Texas> 78374 ehagness(at)mail.interconnect.net> I have never heard of anything but good things about sealing the gaps on all control surfaces on pietenpols. I imagine it would be the same for the GN-1. There are several ways of doing it. For completed aircraft it is as simple as using a 3" wide tape and running a piece over the hinge line on the top and bottom of the aileron well. If you are recovering do the same with fabric. Or on new builds use the Yesterdays wings continuous piano hinge.I read somewhere about the windshields as well. It wasn't much more than making a pattern out of particle board to follow the shape of each window section around the curvature of the cockpit rounds, and then bending the bottom sill with a hammer.Good luck,Steve e________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Ernie,I used RC monocoat for my gap seals. Found a color that matched real close and glued it on with fabric cement. I think this is better than the recomented scotch tape.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: gap seals on air campers

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
I saw some discussion on this subject recently but lost it when mycomputer crashed. Am trying to rebuild. I have a Grega Air Camper andwould like to seal the aileron and tail feather gaps as I understandthis improves performance esp. on the ground. any advise, input ect willbe appreciated . I am doing a bunch of maintenance on the airframe atthis time and would like to include this in the project. Just got it outof the FBO shop after a major on the Cont A- 80 and am anxious to flybut am holding off to do all my maintenace . Also would like to hearfrom any one that knows a source for the three sided squared offwindscreen or a source for plans for one. I only have one rounded typeon the rear pit now but saw the square ones at brodhead 96 and likedthem better. Thanks. Ernie Hagness, 2337 Willow Drive , Portland, Texas78374 ehagness(at)mail.interconnect.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Craig R. Lawler wrote:> > Ernie,> > I used RC monocoat for my gap seals. Found a color that matched real> close and glued it on with fabric cement. I think this is better> than the recomented scotch tape.> > CraigCraig, A couple of questions on the monocote, How does it hold up toflexing and UV. I have had no luck in finding any long enough to spanthe total length of the ailerons. Is a splice OK. Ernie Hagness________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: mahal5(at)juno.com (Emily Williamson)
ernest l. hagness wrote:> Craig R. Lawler wrote:> >> > Ernie,> >> > I used RC monocoat for my gap seals. Found a color that matched real>> > close and glued it on with fabric cement. I think this is better> > than the recomented scotch tape.> >> > Craig> Craig, A couple of questions on the monocote, How does it hold up to> flexing and UV. I have had no luck in finding any long enough to span> the total length of the ailerons. Is a splice OK. Ernie HagnessNo problem on any count. I built rc for 15 years before starting on mypiet. I used monokote for nearly every model. Most hobby stores willsell it by the linear foot. Buy a couple of feet and cut strips to thecorrect width and iron them together with about a 1/2" overlap. Theadhesive is very tenacious. I have never seen it fade and I have someof my original models still and the colors are still bright. Flexingwill not be a problem on ailerons. I have used it at the hingesthemselves on many models without a problem. It does become morebrittle in the cold, but not enought to be a factor in thisapplication. Splice and play... as they say.Stevee________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Hixon, Carl"
Ernie,The monocote gap seals on my alerons is holding up fine. On theelavators it is starting to crack though. I ended each piece at thehinges. Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: baileys(at)ktis.net (Robert M. Bailey)
Steve Eldredge wrote:> > ernest l. hagness wrote:> > > Craig R. Lawler wrote:> > >> > > Ernie,> > >> > > I used RC monocoat for my gap seals. Found a color that matched real> >> > > close and glued it on with fabric cement. I think this is better> > > than the recomented scotch tape.> > >> > > Craig> > Craig, A couple of questions on the monocote, How does it hold up to> > flexing and UV. I have had no luck in finding any long enough to span> > the total length of the ailerons. Is a splice OK. Ernie Hagness> > No problem on any count. I built rc for 15 years before starting on my> piet. I used monokote for nearly every model. Most hobby stores will> sell it by the linear foot. Buy a couple of feet and cut strips to the> correct width and iron them together with about a 1/2" overlap. The> adhesive is very tenacious. I have never seen it fade and I have some> of my original models still and the colors are still bright. Flexing> will not be a problem on ailerons. I have used it at the hinges> themselves on many models without a problem. It does become more> brittle in the cold, but not enought to be a factor in this> application. Splice and play... as they say.> > SteveeStevee. Thanks , I will Now forge ahead with the gap seal project.Ernie________________________________________________________________________________