Pietenpol-List: Pietenpol Questions

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Pietenpol Questions

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: David Schober
I've just finished my wing jig and done one test rib. I've got a coupleof questions.When I mill the wood for the ribs do I want the growth rings to be parallelwith the surface of the wing or do I want them to be perpendicular. Ifperpendicular is OK I can cut my wood more efficiently.I have heard about laminated wing spars. What are they?Also, what is the 3 piece wing? How is is constructed? How much weight doesthe 3 piece add to the airplane? How long does it take to rig it?ThanksRandy Stockbergerstockberger(at)proaxis.comP.S. With just one Wing Rib built, you can sit in a chair, hold the rib outto the side at arm's length and make airplane noises. I can tell alreadythat the Pietenpol is an excellent flier with balanced, responsive controls,good visibility and excellent manuverability. :-)Randy Stockbergerstockberger(at)proaxis.com________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol Questions

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: jimvan1(at)juno.com (James T. VanDervort)
The grain should run parallel to the surface of the wing. For info on woo=d structures read AC43.13-1a The chapters on wood repairs are well worththe investment. It is also a good guide for welding and fabric work.Laminated spars are built up from several smaller pieces of wood, usually= 1X1 or 3/4X1, put together, glued and clamped. The advantage is that you= can use smaller pieces of wood to build up the spar. If you don't havestock long enough, you can scarf pieces together to make the length. Aword of caution, if you scarf them don't have any scarf joints ovelap and= don't have any of them in the area where fittings will be. Some peopledon't like to route the built up spars but I don't see any problem withthat.The 3 piece wing weighes about 6 lbs. more. You can also build a 2 piecewing by only having one removable wing panel and the other "1/2" includes= the center section. It's not symetrical but it saves about 3 lbs.Remember weight is the downfall of these airplanes. Build them as lightas you can and you will have a good performing airplane. Check out thediscussion on wood sizes. all the dimensions are nominal and the original= airplanes were built with undersized components. All the dimensions were= to the center of the kerf of the blade.David Schober> I've just finished my wing jig and done one test rib. I've got a coupl=e> of questions.>> When I mill the wood for the ribs do I want the growth rings to be para=llel> with the surface of the wing or do I want them to be perpendicular. If> perpendicular is OK I can cut my wood more efficiently.>> I have heard about laminated wing spars. What are they?>> Also, what is the 3 piece wing? How is is constructed? How much weightdoes> the 3 piece add to the airplane? How long does it take to rig it?>> Thanks>> Randy Stockberger> stockberger(at)proaxis.com>> P.S. With just one Wing Rib built, you can sit in a chair, hold the rib= out> to the side at arm's length and make airplane noises. I can tell alread=y> that the Pietenpol is an excellent flier with balanced, responsive cont=rols,> good visibility and excellent manuverability. :-)> Randy Stockberger> stockberger(at)proaxis.com>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: laur-mac(at)ArkansasUSA.com (LAUR-MAC, INC.)
Mr. Pietenpol said the three piece wing was 17 pounds heavier. I heardhim say it.JimV.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> James T. VanDervort
The one piece wing sounds better to me, but wouldn't it be difficult tofind such a long piece of perfectly straight spruce? Ken Gofflaur-mac(at)arkansasusa.com
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Craig R. Lawler"
If I had it to do over I would have built a one piece wing.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
LAUR-MAC, INC. wrote:> > The one piece wing sounds better to me, but wouldn't it be difficult to> find such a long piece of perfectly straight spruce?> > Ken Goff> laur-mac(at)arkansasusa.com> > ----------Nah... just takes a few $$$$$$$$$ and a splice to make one very longstick to play with ;) I have had my spruce for several years and am atlast beginning to assemble my one piece wing. I am following the plansas indicated for a one piece wing, too my garage is a little larger thanmost (catch that again Mike C. - hate to brag ;) Gary...________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ian Holland
>last beginning to assemble my one piece wing. I am following the plans>as indicated for a one piece wing, too my garage is a little larger than>most (catch that again Mike C. - hate to brag ;) >>Gary...Gary- Yes, I admitt I am somewhat envious of you guys withMULTI-car garages.....and maybe having a pitty-party formyself while building in my living room and single car garage,but Steve E. and I are going to make up tee-shirts someday...:) MC________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol Questions

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Gary McArthur
> > Mr. Pietenpol said the three piece wing was 17 pounds heavier. I heard> him say it.> > JimV.________________________________________________________________________________