Pietenpol-List: tailhooks

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: tailhooks

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Larry Nelson
All those tailhooks look really good.I saw a guy who carried what appeared to be a length of thin but strong nylon cordin his cockpit. When needed, he just tied the tailwheel down with a slipknotand ran the long end up to the cockpit. Propped her, got in, did his thing,pulled the cord and stowed it away, VIOLA!Maybe weighed 4 ounces and available at most hardware stores.Though highly un-sexy...________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 09:23:31 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: tailhooks

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Richard Carden
Years ago, I installed auxiliary ignition switches on the right side of the fuselagenear the firewall where I can keep my left hand on them while swinging thepropeller from behind it. With this arrangement, I can "kill" the engine shouldthings threaten to get out of hand. (These auxiliary switches are connectedin parallel with those in the cockpit.)I used to carry an "insurance policy" in the form of a 1/4 inch nylon rope about35 feet long if I intended to travel where there may be nobody available, orqualified, to swing the prop. Simply tie one end to the left rear center sectionstrut (I enter the cockpit from the right with my Pietenpol), run the freeend back and around a tree, fencepost, etc. and back to the same c/s strut whereit is securely tied. Once in the cockpit, the two knots are easily untiedallowing one to pull in the rope and stow it.This was prior to installing the auxiliary switches described above. Since my flyingis of a local nature nowadays, I don't carry the rope anymore but rely onthe switches and being darned careful. Nevertheless, this "rope trick" workedwell and I recommend it for safety and peace of mind---especially when flyingcross country to different airports.Graham Hansen (Pietenpol CF-AUN in Alberta, Canada) ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 08:46:06 -0400
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: tailhooks

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "bike.mike"
>This should be somewhere in the archives, but I'll send it along>anyway since the topic has surfaced again.>>----- Original Message ----- >From: Graham Hansen >To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com >Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 9:58 PM>Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: tailhooks>>>Years ago, I installed auxiliary ignition switches on the right side>of the fuselage near the firewall where I can keep my left hand on>them while swinging the propeller from behind it. With this>arrangement, I can "kill" the engine should things threaten to get>out of hand. (These auxiliary switches are connected in parallel with>those in the cockpit.)>>I used to carry an "insurance policy" in the form of a 1/4 inch nylon>rope about 35 feet long if I intended to travel where there may be>nobody available, or qualified, to swing the prop. Simply tie one end>to the left rear center section strut (I enter the cockpit from the>right with my Pietenpol), run the free end back and around a tree,>fencepost, etc. and back to the same c/s strut where it is securely>tied. Once in the cockpit, the two knots are easily untied allowing>one to pull in the rope and stow it. >>This was prior to installing the auxiliary switches described above.>Since my flying is of a local nature nowadays, I don't carry the rope>anymore but rely on the switches and being darned careful.>Nevertheless, this "rope trick" worked well and I recommend it for>safety and peace of mind---especially when flying cross country to>different airports.>>Graham Hansen (Pietenpol CF-AUN in Alberta, Canada) ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> > Re: Pietenpol-List: tailhooks

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: johnwoods(at)westnet.com.au
>> >This should be somewhere in the archives, but I'll send it along> >anyway since the topic has surfaced again.> >> >----- Original Message -----> >From: Graham Hansen> >To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> >Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 9:58 PM> >Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: tailhooks> >> >> >Years ago, I installed auxiliary ignition switches on the right side> >of the fuselage near the firewall where I can keep my left hand on> >them while swinging the propeller from behind it. With this> >arrangement, I can "kill" the engine should things threaten to get> >out of hand. (These auxiliary switches are connected in parallel with> >those in the cockpit.)> >> >I used to carry an "insurance policy" in the form of a 1/4 inch nylon> >rope about 35 feet long if I intended to travel where there may be> >nobody available, or qualified, to swing the prop. Simply tie one end> >to the left rear center section strut (I enter the cockpit from the> >right with my Pietenpol), run the free end back and around a tree,> >fencepost, etc. and back to the same c/s strut where it is securely> >tied. Once in the cockpit, the two knots are easily untied allowing> >one to pull in the rope and stow it.> >> >This was prior to installing the auxiliary switches described above.> >Since my flying is of a local nature nowadays, I don't carry the rope> >anymore but rely on the switches and being darned careful.> >Nevertheless, this "rope trick" worked well and I recommend it for> >safety and peace of mind---especially when flying cross country to> >different airports.> >> >Graham Hansen (Pietenpol CF-AUN in Alberta, Canada)>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

>> > Re: Pietenpol-List: tailhooks

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Clif Dawson
>>>> >This should be somewhere in the archives, but I'll send it along>> >anyway since the topic has surfaced again.>> >>> >----- Original Message ----->> >From: Graham Hansen>> >To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com>> >Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 9:58 PM>> >Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: tailhooks>> >>> >>> >Years ago, I installed auxiliary ignition switches on the right>side>> >of the fuselage near the firewall where I can keep my left hand on>> >them while swinging the propeller from behind it. With this>> >arrangement, I can "kill" the engine should things threaten to get>> >out of hand. (These auxiliary switches are connected in parallel>with>> >those in the cockpit.)>> >>> >I used to carry an "insurance policy" in the form of a 1/4 inch>nylon>> >rope about 35 feet long if I intended to travel where there may be>> >nobody available, or qualified, to swing the prop. Simply tie one>end>> >to the left rear center section strut (I enter the cockpit from>the>> >right with my Pietenpol), run the free end back and around a tree,>> >fencepost, etc. and back to the same c/s strut where it is>securely>> >tied. Once in the cockpit, the two knots are easily untied>allowing>> >one to pull in the rope and stow it.>> >>> >This was prior to installing the auxiliary switches described>above.>> >Since my flying is of a local nature nowadays, I don't carry the>rope>> >anymore but rely on the switches and being darned careful.>> >Nevertheless, this "rope trick" worked well and I recommend it for>> >safety and peace of mind---especially when flying cross country to>> >different airports.>> >>> >Graham Hansen (Pietenpol CF-AUN in Alberta, Canada)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 01:09:55 -0800