Pietenpol-List: Wood nose cowl disc

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "walt evans"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Wood nose cowl discHi Gang,I am getting nearer to the finish line. I am currently building my cowlings. I have a question for those guys that have used the Ford A engine. On the last page of my Hoopman plans (3/20/34), it shows a pine disc to help form thenose cowl to the engine cowl. It says "disc to join cowling and cone bolted to engine while building cowling, remove bolts before attaching cone". Does this pine disc stay with the airplane as an integral part, or does it get discarded after the cowling is all formed and put together? I think it stays,but the more I think about it, maybe not. Please help. Dan HelsperPoplar Grove, IL.**************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living. (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-plea ... 0000002598)________________________________________________________________________________Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:44:40 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "KMHeide, BA, CPO, FAAOP"
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Wood nose cowl disc

Post by matronics »

Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Wood nose cowl discJust an observation: In the 1933 Flying Manual and the cutaway of the Scout (page 38), it shows the wooden disc as an integral part of the cowling. I'm wondering why the Air Camper would be any different...RonIn a message dated 2/28/2008 6:48:09 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, waltdak(at)verizon.net writes:No the pine disc is used just to fabricate the cowling from the fuse forward to the prop. then the pine disc goes away, to the box of "old airplane jigs" which only brings memories in the future years.walt evansNX140DL**************Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living. (http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-plea ... 0000002598)________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:27:38 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: food for thought

Post by matronics »

matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Wood nose cowl disc

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Bill Church"
John,I like the idea and would be glad to be on your list. Especially since anybodyvisiting Northeast Ohio would soon find out there aren't too many other excitingthings about the area.Don EmchNX899DERead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Wood nose cowl disc
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Glenn Thomas"
As a rule, isn't the cowl supposed to be independent of the engine? This is becausethe engine typically is subject to large vibrations - mostly at start-up.I would not fasten the cowl to the engine. Just use the wooden disc to positionand build the cowl, then remove it when the cowling is done.Bill C.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 20:25:46 -0500
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "KMHeide, BA, CPO, FAAOP"
matronics

Pietenpol-List: food for thought

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "jimboyer(at)hughes.net"
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: food for thought

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "MikeD"
________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: food for thought
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Michael Silvius"
Smashing idea!There are a handful of Piet owners in our neck of the woods, which is in the generalvicinity of Toronto, Ontario. While I and my Piet partner have yet to haveours in our back yard (p/u in April) we do spend our spare time tinkering withairplanes in a small museum of which we are working members:www.classicaircraft.ca If the weather's decent, you never know what could happen.And there are other things to see and do aviation related oot and aboot this generalarea. We'd be delighted to hang out with any Piet or non-Piet travellersfrom this list!Mike--------Piet-builder-who-hopes-to-be-flying-next-summerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: AMsafetyC(at)aol.com
This may be of help:http://www.frappr.com/pietenpolMichael ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: food for thought

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Glenn Thomas"
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: food for thought

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Owen Davies
> To:pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: food for thought>>> I'm all for that. It could be easily be added to the builder's directory> on my site which I am going to fix once and for all tonight or sometime this> weekend. Should I do it? All I have to do is add a check box (contact for> visits). I almost met Jim Markle when he was in Boston once. The> scheduling didn't work out but would have been fun.>> I know what you mean by traveling, eating alone, working in the hotel,> etc. Good to break that chain with a Pietenpol meetup. ...which is likely> the way we're scattered pretty randomly.>> On 2/29/08, AMsafetyC(at)aol.com AMsafetyC(at)aol.com > wrote:>>> As many of you know from reading the posts of myself and our Ambassador> Jim Markel, many of us have to travel for the unenviable goal of earning a> living. For anyone engaged in such activities it is a known fact that there> is no glamour, excitement or intense desire to live in a hotel room rather> than work on our own builds.>> The more interesting alternative to dinner by ones self and an evening of> work is to visit another builder chat and consume some type of appropriate> beverage adult or not over a smack or even pitchers and pizza, as I have> heard has been done on an occasion or 2.>> Thus I am proposing that those interested in opening up their hangars,> garages, basements, shops or home for a Pietenpol visitor>> Place their name and contact information on a list as to allow an inbound> visitor to make contact to discuss projects , methods and to share a few> hours with a brother builder. Obviously the list is voluntary so anyone not> interested need not participate anyone is welcome to participate in the> sharing without obligation I or we just thought it would be good to have> such a list the a weary traveler may use to make contact while in the area.>> I would be interested in hearing your thoughts and suggestions on how to> accomplish that task.>> John Recine>> Lititz PA>> The consummate newbee builder,always something I can learn !>>> ----------------> Delicious ideas to please the pickiest eaters. Watch the video on AOL> Living. http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-plea ... 0000002598> >>>> --> Glenn Thomas> Storrs, CT>>-- Glenn ThomasStorrs, CThttp://www.flyingwood.com________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 08:47:41 -0500