Pietenpol-List: How do I widen my Fuselage

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: How do I widen my Fuselage

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tonyp51qa"
I have widened mineJohn Sent from my iPhone> On May 6, 2015, at 9:18 PM, "tonyp51qa" wrote:> > > I need to make my fuselage wider by 2 inches. I need to do this at the pilotshoulders location in the seat area. I need to go from the plans dimension of22 inches to a total of 24 inches. Has anyone made their fuselage wider?> > --------> Tony Crawford> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 824#441824> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: How do I widen my Fuselage
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: How do I widen my Fuselage

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: glenschweizer(at)yahoo.com
I need some assistance with this. Will it be okay to go from firewall back to seatwith a dimension of 24 inches. Then start my taper back to the tail.--------Tony CrawfordRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: How do I widen my Fuselage
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "CatDesigns"
That's how I did it. GlenSent from my iPhone> On May 7, 2015, at 6:21 PM, "tonyp51qa" wrote:> > > I need some assistance with this. Will it be okay to go from firewall back toseat with a dimension of 24 inches. Then start my taper back to the tail.> > --------> Tony Crawford> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 873#441873> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: How do I widen my Fuselage

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
TonyIf I was doing it, that is what I would do. Start the taper behind the rearseat and keep the changes to a minimum. If you widen the fuselage at thefront you will need another sheet of plywood, you will also have to changethe wing center section width, redesign the upper wing attachment points andthen the wing strut angle will be off so you will have to change the lowerand upper fittings......also adds more weight.I know other people have suggested doing this in the past. I just don'tknow who and if it was done.ChrisSacramento, CAWestcoastPiet.com-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

I made mine an inch wider. If I build another I will do it to the plans.Before committing to this path try to find a Pietenpol built to the plansand sit in it. Or, build a mockpit (a mock-up cockpit) and try it on forsize. I'm 6'2" and close to 200 lbs and I found I fit just fine in astandard sized cockpit. Widening it can be done, but that one changeripples through the design, adding weight, complexity, and cost.Jack PhillipsNX899JPSmith Mountain Lake, Virginia-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: How do I widen my Fuselage

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: danhelsper(at)aol.com
That's exactly what I did , we contact me off listJohn RecineSent from my iPhone> On May 7, 2015, at 9:21 PM, "tonyp51qa" wrote:> > > I need some assistance with this. Will it be okay to go from firewall back toseat with a dimension of 24 inches. Then start my taper back to the tail.> > --------> Tony Crawford> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 873#441873> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Fri, 8 May 2015 09:46:31 -0400
matronics

Post by matronics »

I'm not saying this is the way to build your Pietenpol, but I agree withJack P. about building a cockpit mockup. This is the first thing we did whenwe started on the Big Piet Project. This is the first newsletter article Iwrote back in 2002BarryNX973BP-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: How do I widen my Fuselage

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "bdewenter"
gboothe wrote:> Rick,> > Good to hear from you, and hope your machine is flying well! > > I use a Sony camera, which links to my I-phone, but for some reason it will> not link while the engine is running. > > Gary Boothe> NX308MB> > > --Hey Gary - my Piet/Corvair is doing great, about 50 hours on it now.Rick HollandNX6819Z--------Rick HollandNX6819ZRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: How do I widen my Fuselage