Pietenpol-List: Smoked ribs

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Marvin L. Stovall"
The ribs are done, man! I made a template out of a 1x8 and a few blocks to check uniformitybetween my ribs. It also doubled as a vise to clamp to my miter-saw totrim the leading and trailing ends all even. 2 days short of 3 weeks.Not a record I'm sure.........GOT to be the most monotenous part of theproject. All of them turned out uniform except for 7 or 8 of them havethe trailing edge tip appx 3/16 to 1/4 higher than the rest. I must havecarelessly layed out one of the jigs. I thought about putting theseoutboard near the tips, alternating them between other ribs,or repairingthem all together. All I would have to do is replace the last gusset tostraighten them. How accurate must they be? Any advice? Next I guess I'll cut my teeth on the center-section and then on tothe wings. Thanks, everyone!Dannymac________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Smoked ribs

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "William C. Beerman"
You should fix them. If they are that much out, it will affect the flyingcharacteristics of the airplane. You won't regret it.dannymac wrote:> The ribs are done, man!>> I made a template out of a 1x8 and a few blocks to check uniformity> between my ribs. It also doubled as a vise to clamp to my miter-saw to> trim the leading and trailing ends all even. 2 days short of 3 weeks.> Not a record I'm sure.........GOT to be the most monotenous part of the> project. All of them turned out uniform except for 7 or 8 of them have> the trailing edge tip appx 3/16 to 1/4 higher than the rest. I must have> carelessly layed out one of the jigs. I thought about putting these> outboard near the tips, alternating them between other ribs,or repairing> them all together. All I would have to do is replace the last gusset to> straighten them. How accurate must they be? Any advice?> Next I guess I'll cut my teeth on the center-section and then on to> the wings. Thanks, everyone!>> Dannymac________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Sayre, William G"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Smoked ribs>The ribs are done, man!>> I made a template out of a 1x8 and a few blocks to check uniformity>between my ribs. It also doubled as a vise to clamp to my miter-saw to>trim the leading and trailing ends all even. 2 days short of 3 weeks.>Not a record I'm sure.........GOT to be the most monotenous part of the>project. All of them turned out uniform except for 7 or 8 of them have>the trailing edge tip appx 3/16 to 1/4 higher than the rest. I must have>carelessly layed out one of the jigs. I thought about putting these>outboard near the tips, alternating them between other ribs,or repairing>them all together. All I would have to do is replace the last gusset to>straighten them. How accurate must they be? Any advice?> Next I guess I'll cut my teeth on the center-section and then on to>the wings. Thanks, everyone!>>Dannymac>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Richard DeCosta
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Smoked ribs>The ribs are done, man!>> I made a template out of a 1x8 and a few blocks to check uniformity>between my ribs. It also doubled as a vise to clamp to my miter-saw to>trim the leading and trailing ends all even. 2 days short of 3 weeks.>Not a record I'm sure.........GOT to be the most monotenous part of the>project. All of them turned out uniform except for 7 or 8 of them have>the trailing edge tip appx 3/16 to 1/4 higher than the rest. I must have>carelessly layed out one of the jigs. I thought about putting these>outboard near the tips, alternating them between other ribs,or repairing>them all together. All I would have to do is replace the last gusset to>straighten them. How accurate must they be? Any advice?> Next I guess I'll cut my teeth on the center-section and then on to>the wings. Thanks, everyone!>>Dannymac>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dannymac
Dmac; I suggest you repair the things. When wing assembly comes, the trailingedge will be VERY wavy and will look like dapoopkin. If you use the woodentrailing edge, it will be too stiff to wiggle around unless you put thebooboo ribs on the ends. Then you will notice an upturning on the aileronsand so on and so forth. It is best just to fix them. REMEMBER, any deviationfrom the plans will cause you some sort of headache later on. Don't paintyourself into a corner so to speak..........Earl Myers-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Earl Myers
I wonder if you could just sand or plane them down to shape.John-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dannymac
Is "dapoopkin" an aviation or scientific term? I don't remember seeing itanywhere before>Mike BellColumbia, SCMaiser(at)adena.byu.edu on 06/28/99 11:40:48 AMPlease respond to piet(at)byu.edu @ INTERNETcc:Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Smoked ribsDmac; I suggest you repair the things. When wing assembly comes, the trailingedge will be VERY wavy and will look like dapoopkin. If you use the woodentrailing edge, it will be too stiff to wiggle around unless you put thebooboo ribs on the ends. Then you will notice an upturning on the aileronsand so on and so forth. It is best just to fix them. REMEMBER, any deviationfrom the plans will cause you some sort of headache later on. Don't paintyourself into a corner so to speak..........Earl Myers-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: bwm
Dannymac...you've generated some different opinions re: the fix on your ribs and that's what is so great about the list. For what it's worth, if it were my problem I would surely bite the bullet and remake those ribs. If you can make them right by removing a gusset and bringing them into line with the rest I guess that's OK but please consider redoing them. You are asking for big troubles if you don't G.L.Don Hicks ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: mbell1(at)columbiaenergygroup.com
It is a scientifically aeronautical term from 1912..................(?)-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

dannymac wrote:> > The ribs are done, man!> > I made a template out of a 1x8 and a few blocks to check uniformity> between my ribs. It also doubled as a vise to clamp to my miter-saw to> trim the leading and trailing ends all even. 2 days short of 3 weeks.> Not a record I'm sure.........GOT to be the most monotenous part of the> project. All of them turned out uniform except for 7 or 8 of them have> the trailing edge tip appx 3/16 to 1/4 higher than the rest. I must have> carelessly layed out one of the jigs. I thought about putting these> outboard near the tips, alternating them between other ribs,or repairing> them all together. All I would have to do is replace the last gusset to> straighten them. How accurate must they be? Any advice?> Next I guess I'll cut my teeth on the center-section and then on to> the wings. Thanks, everyone!> > DannymacDannymac;Congrats on finishing your ribs. That in itself is a project.But y'know what? This is going to be a LOOOOONG project. trust me. At some point you will be looking back on this while you are doing yourgear or your fuse, or you covering, or your struts and you will think,DARN I wish I had taken the time to take that little wave out of mytrailing edge. It'll be one of those things that you see in yoursleep. Like a bad episode of Twilight Zone ;>)I can look back now and wish I had done lots of things differently.Like the two days I spent grinding and sanding out the floor boardbecause I used inferior quality plywwod, or the second set of elavatorhinges I made because the first ones SUCKED, or... oh well you get thepoint. Remember you're not building an airplane, this is a long series of small projects that someday will become an airplane.Good Luck - and fix those ribs!!!!Bert________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> dannymac
you could use them in the aileron bays if they only have trailing edgeerror, then you would only have to build the aft portion of the ribs forthe ailerons.
matronics

> Smoked ribs

Post by matronics »

> > The ribs are done, man!> > I made a template out of a 1x8 and a few blocks to check uniformity> between my ribs. It also doubled as a vise to clamp to my miter-saw to> trim the leading and trailing ends all even. 2 days short of 3 weeks.> Not a record I'm sure.........GOT to be the most monotenous part of the> project. All of them turned out uniform except for 7 or 8 of them have> the trailing edge tip appx 3/16 to 1/4 higher than the rest. I must have> carelessly layed out one of the jigs. I thought about putting these> outboard near the tips, alternating them between other ribs,or repairing> them all together. All I would have to do is replace the last gusset to> straighten them. How accurate must they be? Any advice?> Next I guess I'll cut my teeth on the center-section and then on to> the wings. Thanks, everyone!> > Dannymac________________________________________________________________________________