Pietenpol-List: Closer Look

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Closer Look

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: John Greenlee
There's a detailed rib test at Decosta's site.Myself i just glued fake spars 3' in lengthto test rib, (the rib had been accidentlydamaged) I then invered the test rib andspread the fake spars between two sawhorses. Then I proceded to add weightspreading the weight evenly accross the lengthof the test rib untill 533 lbs. had beenloaded, running out of barbells then imoved all the weight to the front sparand 300 lbs on the leading edge 200 lbs'6 inches aft of front spar. I then movedall the weight to the rear spar and was amazed.The test rib was held rigid at sparglue points only and had a hair linefracture in the top cap strip and was missingsome gussets on one side. yet it probablywould of held 900 lb's. If the woodi'm using is of good quality I don'tworry about the strength of the ribsthis was a 23012 airfoil like a Taylor Craft.russel----- Original Message -----________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Craig L.Hanson"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Closer Look>Does anybody have the name or e-mail of the guy with the Pietenpol>mini-lookalike?>I wish I had taken a closer look at the rib testing literature that he>had posted next to the>plane. It looked fairly detailed and complete. I would like to do some>testing on a rib>built up with Western Red Cedar. A while back someone posted some info.>on rib testing,>can you repost? I am working with Forest Products Laboratories in>Madison, Wi. to>establish some comparative mechanical properties of Sitka vs. Western>Red Cedar.>A 4x4x8ft. clear old growth Western Red Cedar "post" that meets all spar>pre-requisites runs>$20. Two will produce (90) 8ft. 1/4x1/2 cap strips. Incentive enough for>me!>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: steve(at)byu.edu
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Closer Look>Does anybody have the name or e-mail of the guy with the Pietenpol>mini-lookalike?>I wish I had taken a closer look at the rib testing literature that he>had posted next to the>plane. It looked fairly detailed and complete. I would like to do some>testing on a rib>built up with Western Red Cedar. A while back someone posted some info.>on rib testing,>can you repost? I am working with Forest Products Laboratories in>Madison, Wi. to>establish some comparative mechanical properties of Sitka vs. Western>Red Cedar.>A 4x4x8ft. clear old growth Western Red Cedar "post" that meets all spar>pre-requisites runs>$20. Two will produce (90) 8ft. 1/4x1/2 cap strips. Incentive enough for>me!>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: TJTREV(at)webtv.net (Theodore Trevorrow)
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Closer Look>Mike,>>Are you referring to the gentleman at Brodhead with the ultralight Piet>wanna-be and rib test? If so, I didn't catch his name, but I'm pretty>sure it wasn't Roger Mann unless he has put on a bit of weight. And his>plane was not one of Roger Mann's Ultra Piet's unless it had been very>much modified. His test jig basically mounted a rib upside down from>some stub front and rear spars, then hung weights fairly evenly spaced>along the rib to simulate a distributed air load. I think Wayne Ison>(Mini Max designer) did something very similar. You could do the same>thing, build identical ribs out of spruce and cedar and load them to>failure using the same amount of weight and distribution on each rib.>At least that would give you a direct comparison between the two>different woods for this application. Maybe one of the group has some>more info on his test jig.>>Does Western Red Cedar have any natural oils present that would inhibit>good glue joints?>>Mike List>>>mike cushway wrote:>>>> Does anybody have the name or e-mail of the guy with the Pietenpol>> mini-lookalike?>> I wish I had taken a closer look at the rib testing literature that he>> had posted next to the>> plane. It looked fairly detailed and complete. I would like to do some>> testing on a rib>> built up with Western Red Cedar. A while back someone posted some info.>> on rib testing,>> can you repost? I am working with Forest Products Laboratories in>> Madison, Wi. to>> establish some comparative mechanical properties of Sitka vs. Western>> Red Cedar.>> A 4x4x8ft. clear old growth Western Red Cedar "post" that meets all spar>> pre-requisites runs>> $20. Two will produce (90) 8ft. 1/4x1/2 cap strips. Incentive enough for>> me!>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: David Atnip
Mike,Are you referring to the gentleman at Brodhead with the ultralight Pietwanna-be and rib test? If so, I didn't catch his name, but I'm prettysure it wasn't Roger Mann unless he has put on a bit of weight. And hisplane was not one of Roger Mann's Ultra Piet's unless it had been verymuch modified. His test jig basically mounted a rib upside down fromsome stub front and rear spars, then hung weights fairly evenly spacedalong the rib to simulate a distributed air load. I think Wayne Ison(Mini Max designer) did something very similar. You could do the samething, build identical ribs out of spruce and cedar and load them tofailure using the same amount of weight and distribution on each rib. At least that would give you a direct comparison between the twodifferent woods for this application. Maybe one of the group has somemore info on his test jig.Does Western Red Cedar have any natural oils present that would inhibitgood glue joints?Mike Listmike cushway wrote:> > Does anybody have the name or e-mail of the guy with the Pietenpol> mini-lookalike?> I wish I had taken a closer look at the rib testing literature that he> had posted next to the> plane. It looked fairly detailed and complete. I would like to do some> testing on a rib> built up with Western Red Cedar. A while back someone posted some info.> on rib testing,> can you repost? I am working with Forest Products Laboratories in> Madison, Wi. to> establish some comparative mechanical properties of Sitka vs. Western> Red Cedar.> A 4x4x8ft. clear old growth Western Red Cedar "post" that meets all spar> pre-requisites runs> $20. Two will produce (90) 8ft. 1/4x1/2 cap strips. Incentive enough for> me!________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mike Lund
Does anybody have the name or e-mail of the guy with the Pietenpolmini-lookalike?I wish I had taken a closer look at the rib testing literature that hehad posted next to theplane. It looked fairly detailed and complete. I would like to do sometesting on a ribbuilt up with Western Red Cedar. A while back someone posted some info.on rib testing,can you repost? I am working with Forest Products Laboratories inMadison, Wi. toestablish some comparative mechanical properties of Sitka vs. WesternRed Cedar.A 4x4x8ft. clear old growth Western Red Cedar "post" that meets all sparpre-requisites runs$20. Two will produce (90) 8ft. 1/4x1/2 cap strips. Incentive enough forme!________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: mike cushway
The guys name is Roger Mann, His company is RagWing Aviation, and the planeis an UltraPiet.There is also a ragwing buiders listDon't have the link on this machine, but it should be fairly easy to find.Mike-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: michael list
Good a.m.,I don't remember the old boy's name either. I do remember him explainingthe ship is his own design, not a Roger Mann ship.JMG-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: mike cushway
Ragwing is in rural South Carolina. They have a nice web site. I don't havethe URL on this PC, but you should be able to find them easily. RagWing isone guy who seems to be prettty prolific with single place designs. He isquite proud of the hands off stability of his Piet lookalike.Mike BellColumba, SCMaiser(at)adena.byu.edu on 08/03/99 07:13:58 PMPlease respond to piet(at)byu.edu @ INTERNETcc:Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Closer LookThe guys name is Roger Mann, His company is RagWing Aviation, and the planeis an UltraPiet.There is also a ragwing buiders listDon't have the link on this machine, but it should be fairly easy to find.Mike-----Original Message-----
matronics

> Re: Closer Look

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: dannymac
> Subject: Re: Closer Look>>> >Mike,> >> >Are you referring to the gentleman at Brodhead with the ultralight Piet> >wanna-be and rib test? If so, I didn't catch his name, but I'm pretty> >sure it wasn't Roger Mann unless he has put on a bit of weight. And his> >plane was not one of Roger Mann's Ultra Piet's unless it had been very> >much modified. His test jig basically mounted a rib upside down from> >some stub front and rear spars, then hung weights fairly evenly spaced> >along the rib to simulate a distributed air load. I think Wayne Ison> >(Mini Max designer) did something very similar. You could do the same> >thing, build identical ribs out of spruce and cedar and load them to> >failure using the same amount of weight and distribution on each rib.> >At least that would give you a direct comparison between the two> >different woods for this application. Maybe one of the group has some> >more info on his test jig.> >> >Does Western Red Cedar have any natural oils present that would inhibit> >good glue joints?> >> >Mike List> >> >> >> >mike cushway wrote:> >>> >> Does anybody have the name or e-mail of the guy with the Pietenpol> >> mini-lookalike?> >> I wish I had taken a closer look at the rib testing literature that he> >> had posted next to the> >> plane. It looked fairly detailed and complete. I would like to do some> >> testing on a rib> >> built up with Western Red Cedar. A while back someone posted some info.> >> on rib testing,> >> can you repost? I am working with Forest Products Laboratories in> >> Madison, Wi. to> >> establish some comparative mechanical properties of Sitka vs. Western> >> Red Cedar.> >> A 4x4x8ft. clear old growth Western Red Cedar "post" that meets allspar> >> pre-requisites runs> >> $20. Two will produce (90) 8ft. 1/4x1/2 cap strips. Incentive enoughfor> >> me!> >>________________________________________________________________________________