Pietenpol-List: ANOTHER PIET FLIES!!!!

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: ANOTHER PIET FLIES!!!!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
Rock Solid First Flight!Congratulations to Duane Woolsey of Provo UT. on his successful firstflight of his Subaru Powered Pietenpol Air Camper.The deed was done last night at Spanish Fork airport with Gordon Nicholat the controls. The flight lasted about 20 minutes. Control feel wassolid and comfortable. During a fast taxi Gordon lifted the tail, thepiet tracked straight. As speed built the controls felt good and beforehe knew it the aircraft was airborn, just lifting off the runway.Ground effect flight was good and with a little back pressure the pietwas headed skyward. Full power was not used and rpms were limited to4200rpm. Even so the little craft was doing and estimated 700fpm. Thisthing is reall going to be a climber! Stall came at about an estimated35mph. Approach to landing was fast. The airplane was flown intoground effect to find the correct touchdown speed and attitude. Twiceduring flare attempts at what was thought to be a slow enough speed theplane still wanted to fly, finally agian at about 35mph the wing gave inand a nice gentle three point landing was made. Again during roll outthe Piet exhibited no wandering tendencies and foot work was minimal.Gordon says that he has never flown a taildragger easier to handle. Hislast comment was "I'm evious already"Man do I ever want to finish! I have to final rig the wing and just afew other small details. I put up some pictures as soon as I can getthe digital camera out to capture some images.Get/Keep Building guys, it's going to be worth it!Steve________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: ANOTHER PIET FLIES!!!!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: baileys(at)ktis.net (Robert M. Bailey)
Congratulations to Duane !!!! It gives us all a shot in the arm to keep at it. Like Frank Pavliga told me 4 years ago...'the sooneryou start building the sooner you get to fly it.' Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: ANOTHER PIET FLIES!!!!

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: djscott(at)heartland.bradley.edu (David Scott)
Steve Eldredge wrote:> > Rock Solid First Flight!> > Congratulations to Duane Woolsey of Provo UT. on his successful first> flight of his Subaru Powered Pietenpol Air Camper.> Congratulations Duane! Maybe we will see the new plane at Brodhead nextyear?? :)Bob B.________________________________________________________________________________