Pietenpol-List: Re: More alternative wood -Reply

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "McNarry, John"
This is the place where I bought my spars. Quality was very good. Ordered 1" x 6" x 16' planks. Cost was $ 7.50 / lin. ft. Grain runout is lessthan one inch on the entire 16' length.Shipped via Airborne Express by air to Minneapolis for less than $ 100.00One word of caution, make sure you specify the FINISHED dimension ofthe wood you want. I didn't and my 1" x 6" were shipped 13/16" x 5 3/4".I was planning to rip an inch off the planks to use as longerons but thatwasn't possible with the size they shipped me.They would have taken them back minus the freight cost. I decided tokeep them and build up the spar caps to the plan dimensions. Will workout just fine.I recommend this as a source of spruce, just be specific when tellingthem what size you need.Greg Cardinal>>> 12/11/97 07:25pm >>> IN:piet(at)byu.edu Topic: Re: More Alternative wood Piet group: A couple weeks ago several were talking about alternative woods to use. Someone mentioned a new company described in the June, Sport Aviation -- R.A.W. LLC, on the West Coast. I have had two > Dear Sir: > > I saw the description of your new company inthe June issue of Sport > Aviation, > and would like to receive some information from you. I need shipping > info. > (requirements, etc.) and current prices. I am most interested in > Port Orford cedar, > Alaska Yellow Cedar, and Sitka Spruce. I am building aPietenpol > and am looking > for wood for the fuselage and spars. Imay not need the longest > stock because > I am planning to laminatethe spars. > > If you can reply by email that would be great, or youcan send info. > by mail. My > address is: John Fay >20,000 board feet of Alaskan Yellow cedar, and 5,000 board feet of sitka spruce. Spar quality stock runs $5.00 to $7.00 per board foot (Longlengths) and $2.50 to $3.50 per board foot (Short Lengths) All materialis graded either to Mil-Spec 6073 or British Aerospace standard. If yousend me a list of sizes, I will be happy to quote you a delivered price. (The next day I sent these 5 questions and here are his answers.)Mr. Fay; I hope these answers clear things up for you....... >1) Is there a difference in price for the Alaskan yellow cedar vs sitka > 3) Is there a difference in price per foot for 8 footers, 10', > 4) How wide are they? Are they 6" nominal width, rough on both Any width you like from 3" to 24". Square cut on both edges > 5) What thicknesses are available? 5/4", 7/4", 2" ? Is there Any thickness from 1/4" up to 4". There is no difference in cost. This is the end of my exchange with RAW. I have a very good article from the Sept., 84 issue of Sport Aviation about alternative woodswritten by Eugene Parker of Medford ,Oregon (pp.57-61). At the end ofthe article he lists Port Orford Cedar as his #1 choice for aircraft construction, Alaskan Yellow Cedar as choice#2, and Sitka Spruce aschoice #3. Very interesting. (If anyone wants a copy, send me a SASEHas anyone had any experience with this company. I am not really clearas to the relative weight of the Al. yel. cd. compared to Sit. spr. I________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
In the talk about wood it occured to me that youcould save a fortune on spars simply by ordering sparsfrom short lengths (12 or evern 10 feet) and scarfing on the last foot or two, since the under 12ft lengths are so much cheaper. Anybody done that?John KahnBombardier Inc.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Brent Reed
John Kahn wrote:> In the talk about wood it occured to me that you> could save a fortune on spars simply by ordering spars> from short lengths (12 or evern 10 feet) and scarfing on> the last foot or two, since the under 12ft lengths are so> much cheaper. Anybody done that?>> John Kahn> Bombardier Inc.Not exactly, but instead, I made my wing panels about 12'6" and made mycenter section 4' and built in a larger gas tank.Works great with thesame three piece wing fittings.Stevee________________________________________________________________________________