Pietenpol-List: 2000 mile flight

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: 2000 mile flight

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
My pietenpol is in Oregon and I am now in Indiana. I am considering flyingit out this spring or summer. At it's cruise speed it might be spring ANDsummer. :) Anyway, I would like to find someone else that might beinterested in joining the flight, perhaps to visit Oshkosh or Brodhead.Anyone interested?Any advice on the trip would also be welcome.Jim________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: 2000 mile flight

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: William Conway
On Tuesday, February 10, 1998 8:58 PM, Jim Skinner [SMTP:jskinner(at)hurstmfg.com]wrote:> My pietenpol is in Oregon and I am now in Indiana. I am considering flying> it out this spring or summer. At it's cruise speed it might be spring AND> summer. :) Anyway, I would like to find someone else that might be> interested in joining the flight, perhaps to visit Oshkosh or Brodhead.> Anyone interested?> > Any advice on the trip would also be welcome.> > JimBring a portable cd player with lots of great music and a few sets of extra batteries.Stevee________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: 2000 mile flight

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Larry L. Neal"
>My pietenpol is in Oregon and I am now in Indiana. I am considering flying>it out this spring or summer. At it's cruise speed it might be spring AND>summer. :) Anyway, I would like to find someone else that might be>interested in joining the flight, perhaps to visit Oshkosh or Brodhead.>Anyone interested?>>Any advice on the trip would also be welcome.>>A soft cushion and lots of extra charts (to replace those that fly away).Practice folding charts like I have seen people do newspapers on subways.Ted Brousseau/APFnfn00979(at)gator.naples.netSunny SW Florida________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "David B. Schober"
Ted,Better advice than most will realize!Try the energy absorbing foam (space cushion) stuff. Expensive, but it works.How's this for a question...I'll propose that I lash my mountain bike to the left struts and camping gear tothe right. All securely tied up and checked.Any bets on performance loss (corvair motor) and FAR compliance (baggage)?Larry (grins on this one!)Ted Brousseau wrote: >> A soft cushion and lots of extra charts (to replace those that fly away).> Practice folding charts like I have seen people do newspapers on subways.>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Woodbridge, Gary"
A soft cushion and lots of extra charts (to replace those that flyaway).Practice folding charts like I have seen people do newspapers onsubways.Ted Brousseau/APFnfn00979(at)gator.naples.netSunny SW FloridaGood advice! In my Flybaby I was able to refold them in flight andnever lost one but I was lucky! The trick is to keep them low in thecockpit while refolding. A portable GPS is also on the list but I don'twant to rely totally on it.Jim________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Larry L. Neal[SMTP:llneal(at)earthlink.net]
I have heard about an airplane with a bike on each side. I think it wasa Cub or similar. Probably not acceptable to the FAA but on a homebuiltit should be ok. If you try this let us know how it works. Part of theFlybaby plans are some drawings for a cargo pod that goes underneath thefuselage. I have never seen one on an airplane though. It is a tubeabout 16" in diameter (as I remember) with domed ends. I am not sure ifhe said anything about performance changes.Jim________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "David B. Schober"
With the Piet, wouldn't a Rand McNally be more appropriate?Gary WoodbridgeSenior Systems Engineer - UMI / OKCMaule M7-235B - N723Mgwoodbridge(at)datatimes.com>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: rdecosta(at)autoeurope.com (Richard DeCosta)
Rand Mcnally may be your best bet but if you get ramped, the Feds won'tbe happy. You might look into AirCharts. It's a bound version of WACcharts. Granted the WACs don't give all the small airports that you maywant to frequent on the trip but you will get all the legely requiredcharts for the trip in one bound volume. I use them in the Howard allthe time! I know i'm going a little faster than a Piet but they may beyour best solution.Woodbridge, Gary wrote:> With the Piet, wouldn't a Rand McNally be more appropriate?>> Gary Woodbridge> Senior Systems Engineer - UMI / OKC> Maule M7-235B - N723M> gwoodbridge(at)datatimes.com>> >--David B.Schober, CPEInstructor, Aviation MaintenanceFairmont State CollegeNational Aerospace Education CenterRt. 3 Box 13Bridgeport, WV 26330-9503(304) 842-8300________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: baileys(at)ktis.net (Robert M. Bailey)
>My pietenpol is in Oregon and I am now in Indiana. I am considering flying>it out this spring or summer. At it's cruise speed it might be spring AND>summer. :) Anyway, I would like to find someone else that might be>interested in joining the flight, perhaps to visit Oshkosh or Brodhead.>Anyone interested?>>Any advice on the trip would also be welcome.>>Jim> My personal opinion: GO FOR IT! Just dont take "El Ni=F1o" as a passenger :-)SaludosGary Gower________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Skinner
Jim> >> >Any advice on the trip would also be welcome.> >I would say to plan your route very carefully, since the Piet has verylimited high altitude capability you be looking up at some of thosemountains. I also understand that some of the mountain winds canbe pretty bad later in day and one can get into a situation where a downdraft exceeds the Piets rate of climb.I look forward to seeing you at Brodhead.Bob B.________________________________________________________________________________