Pietenpol-List: Re: Jim Trans Con Trip

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Skinner
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Jim Trans Con TripMy advice:Get out a set of sectionals and plan a route. Find the highest altitudeon the route and take the airplane up to about 2000 ft above thataltitude with allowances for density altitude. Then, when you do theactual flight make it a point to do the high altitude sections early inthe AM when the turbulence and density altitude numbers are in yourfavor.Since the airplane is in Oregon and you (apparently) aren't, you mayhave to have a friend or CFI in Oregon do a test flight. Have himrecord the airspeed, climb rate and temperature at each 1000'. Thiswill give you the information you need to make the decision.There is nothing 'Bold' about it if you figure out your margins ahead oftime.Good Luck and Have Fun.Randy Stockbergerstockberger(at)proaxis.com> Jim, When I frist started flying, we had a big poster.. There areOld>Pilots, and Bold Pilots.. But no Old Bold Pilots.. For your 1/2transcon trip>in the Piet...>As the plane has a limited rate of climb, and you will be in some highdensity>altitude situations, my suggestion might be to truck the plane to GreatFalls,>MT. You would then be over the Rockies, plus those other ranges.. Iremember a>friend with a 65 hp. Porterfiled trying to fly from Billings to Butte,Mt.>When He tried to climb over the Bozeman Pass... No go. I also havevisions of>flying from Helena to>White Sulphur Springs, Mt. over the Big Belts in a 90 hhp Cessna 140,we had>to make two climbing trips to get over..> Am interested in doing research on Piets/Builders.. When wasyours>built?>How many hours on the plane.. What type of Power Plant.. What type of>certificate>do you have , and # of hrs.> Keep Em Flying.. Dr. Orville E. Lanham, Bellevue, Ne. 68005>lanhamos(at)aaol.com>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "David B. Schober"
Jim, When I frist started flying, we had a big poster.. There are OldPilots, and Bold Pilots.. But no Old Bold Pilots.. For your 1/2 transcon tripin the Piet...As the plane has a limited rate of climb, and you will be in some high densityaltitude situations, my suggestion might be to truck the plane to Great Falls,MT. You would then be over the Rockies, plus those other ranges.. I remember afriend with a 65 hp. Porterfiled trying to fly from Billings to Butte, Mt.When He tried to climb over the Bozeman Pass... No go. I also have visions offlying from Helena to White Sulphur Springs, Mt. over the Big Belts in a 90 hhp Cessna 140, we hadto make two climbing trips to get over.. Am interested in doing research on Piets/Builders.. When was yoursbuilt? How many hours on the plane.. What type of Power Plant.. What type ofcertificate do you have , and # of hrs. Keep Em Flying.. Dr. Orville E. Lanham, Bellevue, Ne. 68005lanhamos(at)aaol.com________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: LanhamOS
-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: LanhamOS
>>-----Original Message-----
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: stephen
Ah yes, 'tis better to drink of life in one fiery gulp and realacross the skies than to sip from the cup of oblivion and lowerinto darkness!!! Go for it!!! In my young and scuffling days, I bought a 65 HPPiper Vagabond at Flabob for $1200.00, learned how to fly and spentone summer flying it around the Western U.S. And you have 90 HP.Piece of cake!!! You will most assuredly meet some of the finest folks on theplanet and have stories to tell for the rest of your life thatwill continue to make you smile at yourself in the shaving mirrorpast the days when you can still shave yourself. Great goodluck. And bank your points by doing your home work and get atleast 5 good hours of touch-n-go's in at ALL weights. Warren________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Warren,I certainly hope to fly my piet as long as I can shave myself. Thanksfor the neat post. I'll save it and pass it along.Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: clawler
Jim, on ylur 1/2 trans con trip... I was the pessimist suggestingtrucking to Great Falls. Inquired about amount of power for the plane... Didyou get this? Now I know you have 90 lponies up front.. with the weight of theplane, You should be able to climb those mtns. Once you e the Plains it may bea piece of cake. Also with modern internet weather info, GPS, etc. good Luck.Hope you have a motor homefollowing you!!Read of Ken Hyde who restored a Crutiss Jennjy and Flew it toOshkosh.. They had a motor home with all the camp stuff. Not much room in theplane. except for a disposable razor, toothbrush, paste, and bar of soap, KeepEm Flying.. Orville L:anhamn, the J3 Cub..________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: RE: Jim Trans Con Trip

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steve Eldredge
Ditto,SteveeOn Tuesday, March 03, 1998 6:02 AM, clawler [SMTP:clawler(at)Ptd.Net] wrote:> Warren,> > I certainly hope to fly my piet as long as I can shave myself. Thanks> for the neat post. I'll save it and pass it along.> > Craig________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Jim Trans Con Trip

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Malcolm Morrison
>Subject: Re: Jim Trans Con Trip>>My advice:>>Get out a set of sectionals and plan a route. Find the highest altitude>on the route and take the airplane up to about 2000 ft above that>altitude with allowances for density altitude. Then, when you do the>actual flight make it a point to do the high altitude sections early in>the AM when the turbulence and density altitude numbers are in your>favor.>>Since the airplane is in Oregon and you (apparently) aren't, you may>have to have a friend or CFI in Oregon do a test flight. Have him>record the airspeed, climb rate and temperature at each 1000'. This>will give you the information you need to make the decision.>>There is nothing 'Bold' about it if you figure out your margins ahead of>time.>>Good Luck and Have Fun.>>Randy Stockberger>stockberger(at)proaxis.com>Sounds like good advice! That was my general plan. I have a 90 Hp engineso performance should not be an issue if I am careful. I had planned to dosome preliminary testing but hadn't worked out the details. Thanks for theinput.Several people have suggested trucking it but that is a lot of work, candamage the airplane, and seems like a lot less fun!Jim Skinner________________________________________________________________________________