Pietenpol-List: Re: weedeater and hand propping

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: weedeater and hand propping

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Skinner
Steve,Hand propping isn't all that difficult and, like a lot of things, isn't allthat dangerous if you do it properly but very dangerous if you don't payattention to detail. (Consider that even flying a small plane is considereddangerous by most people.) I would read up on it if you can find anyarticles about it, talk to people who have some experience, and try it a fewtimes with the mags off until you are reasonably comfortable with it.What prompted the dawn patrol to make the chain saw starters is a problemwith flooding and such that made started a real workout. I don't have anyexperience with Ford A engines (motors?). Find out from others what worksfor this engine. On many aircraft engines a primer makes starting a LOTeasier. Some engines flood easily. If that is the case for you, thendevelop a system to deal with that problem. On one airplane we developed asystem that consisted of pulling it through three times. If if didn't fireby then chances were it wasn't going to. Turning it backwards a few times(don't remember exactly how many, maybe 4) would clear the cylinders and werepeated the procedure until it started. We developed this system afterspending entire afternoons cranking it to no avail. Often the procedure fora hot start (after the engine has been running) is different than for a coldstart. Hot starts seem to flood easier and need less primer.Impulse mags also make starting MUCH easier. With them there is no minimumprop speed to get a good spark and the chance of backfire is greatly reducedby the retarding effect of the impulse coupling. (Others will, no doubt,have their own opinions on this.)Prop position during the compression stroke is important. You want thecompression stroke to start at something like 45 degrees before the prop ishorizontal, although this will vary a bit with the size of the airplane, howhigh the engine shaft is, how tall you are, etc. I have used wheel chocks and not a tail wheel tie down when starting _IF_ Iknew the engine would start at very low throttle. Tying down the tail isMUCH safer and many have used a tow plane hook to allow release of the ropefrom the cockpit. I have seen sketches of how to build one but don't knowwhere it was.Jim >Hand proping is definetly a skill I intend to learn,I've never done it. I>have read where it is considered dangerous. The prudent measure of tying>down the tail with rope seems bothersome. The clean simplicity of the>kickstarter on my motorcycle is something I enjoy,and I'm proud of my skill>at useing it(500 cc single) BUT It can't chop my head off either. I'm likly>to change my mind on the need of a starter if I gain enough confidence>>Cheers Steve Yahn>>>I find the discussion interesting about how to identify the power. Like others>>on this net, I was schooled inthe use of "engine".. "Motor" was a nono. I>>surfed the web for Dawn Patrol, and found the infor about the chain saw engine>>used as a starter.I doubt whether there is enough torque for rotate the>>engine, let alone the problem of finding where to put the drive unit. Chains>>seem complicated... I read about a Volksplane project in the United Kingdom,>>and the builder used a chain to drive both magnetos. An extra spark plug hole>>was bored into the heads. The ME 262>>Jet Fighter of the Luftwaffe in WW!! used lawn mower engines to start the>>turbines..>>There is a photo a mechanic pulling the starter cord, like we do with a mower>>today.>> Why not prop?>>Dr. O. Lanham>>>>>>________________________________________________________________________________