Pietenpol-List: flyable Piet or GN-1 survey

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: flyable Piet or GN-1 survey

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael King
The idea of everybody flying to Oshkosh is a good one but. I was wonderinghow many flying Pietenpols do we actually have in this group. Mine is aGN-1 which isn't flyable yet. I'm a wanta-be yet. Maybe we could put downwhat stage of construction we are in. Lets see how many Piets or GN-1could be there if they could all fly there today.flyablestatic displayjimsury(at)fbtc.net________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: flyable Piet or GN-1 survey

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Woodbridge, Gary"
Good idea!I have often wondered how many "True" Piets andGN-1s there are. Maybe a poll taken from this group will give us a better indication. The pollwould include "flyable" and "under construction"planes.Just a thought.Have a good one.Mike KingGN-1Dallas, Texas>The idea of everybody flying to Oshkosh is a good one but. I was wondering>how many flying Pietenpols do we actually have in this group. Mine is a>GN-1 which isn't flyable yet. I'm a wanta-be yet. Maybe we could put down>what stage of construction we are in. Lets see how many Piets or GN-1>could be there if they could all fly there today.>flyable>static display>jimsury(at)fbtc.net>>Michael KingThe Comedy WireDallas, Texashttp://www.comedy-wire.com214-905-9299 Phone214-905-1438 Fax________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "McNarry, John"
Some time ago I put on the net a survey of Piet owners/flyers/builders..Noresponse..Maybe you can buikld a fire. I know that there is a national directory throughthe Buckeye group though. Some do not think the GN-1's quality lthough.. Dr.O. Lanham, Bellevue, Ne.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: LanhamOS
________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

n John, hope and pray this weather has not reached you. We had horriblethunderstorms yesterday, lasting until the wee hours of the mo9rning today.Barometer is at 29.40..Not good flying weather. When you mentioned your engineproject, I thought of the photo in the reprint of the mag. on the Pietenpolwhere someone had a model A aircooled engine.. Don' know if you have anyknowledge of the faithful mill of post WWI era, the OX 5, and OXX6, but therewas an entrepeneur in Milwlaukee by the name of Kurt Tank who did an aircooled conversion for the OX 5. Also, the Engineering and Research Corporationthat developed the Erecoupe had developed an in line 4 cylinder for the plane,and had it certified by the CAA. That is why the cowl is so long..But, it wascheaper to buy already made Contententals than produce it. It would love tosee a photo. Might check with some others. A letter from Don Pietenpol indicates no love for the GN 1. I did not knowthe difference, and asked him when I wrote for the material.. I then got somespecs on the GN 1. So, lots of luck. Peace. Orville________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Phil Phillips
The GN-1 has some features that are better and some that are worse a careful study of both plans set will reveal these differences. I think Grega must have had a lot of Piper Cub parts lying around. I have seen a picture in one of the older BPA newsletters of an aircooled Ford conversion It has been done before. You may have noticed that there are two camps of "Pietenpol" aircraft builders. The purists by the plans that build exact 1929 to "Improved " versions of Bernies original design, and those of us that think that if Bernie was still alive he would be experimenting and changing still. I instruct in Heavy duty mechanics and have an extensive machining background. This may be a help or a hinderance as it would be easier to just follow the plans and go flying. I do however enjoy the challenge of building something different. Our RAA chapter has an engine Dynometer that I built as a chapter funded project. It is mounted on a trailer and is portable. Torque is measured using a hydraulic load cell and a Photo tach provides RPM. The chapter members have run several engines on the dyno before installing them in their aircraft. It is reassuring to know the engine develops the right amount of power before you point it down the runway. I have been eyeing a De Havilland Cirrus engine but I think I better just finish what I started. I'll send an article to Grant for publication in the news letter when I have succeeded. The weather up here is quite nice and the snow is almost gone . We have been averaging about 8 to 14 degrees C. Above normal! El Nino?John Mc________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Wasn't it a Kurt Tank who designed the FW 190 ? The name seems familiar......Best wishes to all you Piet enthusiasts out there..... hoping to start mybuild in the UK within the next 18 months...Dominic Excell________________________________________________________________________________