Pietenpol-List: EAA/RAA chapter hangars

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: EAA/RAA chapter hangars

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Warren Shoun
Hi,I know this is a little off topic, but it is experimental aircraftrelated. Our RAA chapter (Canadian org simular to EAA) is currentlylooking at the feasibility of getting a hangar for club members andprojects. I know that a lot of the active chapters have already done thisand I was hoping to get a little input on how well it's worked out. THingslike how capital was raised, how you decide who uses the hangar, etc.would be really useful. This will be a big step for our club and we wantto do it right.Thanks,Ken________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: EAA/RAA chapter hangars

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "BELLISSIMO, DOMENIC"
Ken, At our EAA Chapter, we could only lease a hanger at our local airport.Prior to signing a lease on two adjacent hangers, our Chapter laid out workspaces and literally taped them off on the floor with 3" Blue Duct Tape andsigned sublease contracts with members. We then went on a scavenger hunt forshop tools and obtained an amazing number of both useable and unusable shoptools, which we worked over (all volunteer time and labor). This is an ongoingpiece of business. A new Chapter Officer was elected, as shop foreman(one of the builders) toenforce neatness and only airplane building ( one chap immediately beganbuilding a rowboat). We have also built an adjacent sunshade with barbecuestands and picnic benches which are used once a month, weather permitting fora Chapter Event. All labor, time & materials was donated by members and friends of membersand anybody we could convince to be helpful. The nature of problems have been small and quickly handled. We have nowadded a requirement that some noticeable progress must take place each month,after having one chap homesteaded his spot for several months (and paid hisrent) and not do anything at all. As in most chapters (personal viewpointhere) we have builders, serious planners for building and....some "others" whokind of wore out their welcome by making the shop their second home, drinkingthe donated soft drinks (and in one case restocking his motor home from theshop refrig), distracting the working builders and in general contributinglittle or nothing to the chapter. This small group was given a designatedpicnic table under the sunshade and their own Igloo cooler, which they stockon their own. We have 5 projects going at all times in this area, we have awaiting list for the workstations, and it has served us well, and has been themain cause of the size of the Chapter growing rather dramatically.Good Luck,WarrenKen Beanlands wrote:> Hi,>> I know this is a little off topic, but it is experimental aircraft> related. Our RAA chapter (Canadian org simular to EAA) is currently> looking at the feasibility of getting a hangar for club members and> projects. I know that a lot of the active chapters have already done this> and I was hoping to get a little input on how well it's worked out. THings> like how capital was raised, how you decide who uses the hangar, etc.> would be really useful. This will be a big step for our club and we want> to do it right.>> Thanks,> Ken>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List:

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: D.J.H.
For Doug Hunt, ----------________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: weight and balance

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ken Hannan
Tnx.Dom, what was the weight of the Piet?Doug,Sorry I didn't mean to be so short with you. I opened your mail at work anddidn't have the exact figures to give you. Also I'm not suppose to bereading personal e-mail at work, so I replied with a very short response.That's why I said it was 'very heavy'. I still can't remember the exactfigure, but it came in empty above 800 lbs. I did it twice with the samebathroom scales at two different times. I really don't know if those scaleswere accurate. I calibrated them with my known body weight. I submitted theW&B forms assuming the scales were ok, but I still have doubts. I wasconscious of adding too much weight, but perhaps I didn't notice.Dom.________________________________________________________________________________