Pietenpol-List: Pietenpol engine mount

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Pietenpol engine mount

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: DonanClara(at)aol.com
The Pietenpol I bought at the garage sale has a constructed fuselage. Idon't have the plans so I need to ask the following question.Is the fuselage built for a particular engine or are the different engineshandled through the construction of the motor mounts? From discussions Ihave glanced at (I never expected to be a Piet builder) I would guess thelatter. True? I want to put a Continental on it.Thanks, Ted________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol engine mount

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Doug
true on the latter,,,D.P. does have plans available for the continental motormount..this is the route I'm taking....mount now completed and installingcontrols and seat belt/harnesses and starting on the fuse fuel tank.JoeCZion, IllinoisTed Brousseau wrote:> The Pietenpol I bought at the garage sale has a constructed fuselage. I> don't have the plans so I need to ask the following question.>> Is the fuselage built for a particular engine or are the different engines> handled through the construction of the motor mounts? From discussions I> have glanced at (I never expected to be a Piet builder) I would guess the> latter. True? I want to put a Continental on it.>> Thanks, Ted________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael D Cuy
>The Pietenpol I bought at the garage sale has a constructed fuselage. I>don't have the plans so I need to ask the following question.>>Is the fuselage built for a particular engine or are the different engines>handled through the construction of the motor mounts? From discussions I>have glanced at (I never expected to be a Piet builder) I would guess the>latter. True? I want to put a Continental on it.>>Thanks, Ted>Ted- You can build a fuselage the same and hang a Ford or Continentalon it, but with some considerations you can tailor each fuse to better suityour neeeds. Clear as mud, I know. I used the short fuse (1933 ImprovedAir Camper) and built the Continental motor mount as purchased from DonaldPietenpol but made it one inch longer. If you build the long fuse your enginewill naturally be out several inches forward due to the extra 2" length you getinboth the front and rear cockpits. The long fuse (1966) was designed, as Iunderstandit, to handle the lighter air-cooled engines. Either fuse will work with aContintenal,but you might have to slant/tilt your wing back further on a short fuse Pietthan along fuse Piet. This beats adding lead weight to your motor mount as some haveneeded to do in a pinch. I love having 17 gals of fuel right behind thefirewalltoo- not only does it make it easier to fuel, no ladders, no spilling fuel onthewing and having it run into your rear seat cushion, etc., but it puts theweightwere you want it- up front. If you opt for a nose take you don't want to buildthatlittle plywood 'tray' behind the firewall (unless someday you plan onconverting toa Ford) necessarily. This area can be used for a fuel tank or forward luggagecompartment. Also for everyone building those four fittings up front, as withallof Pietenpol's metal fittings, make them a tad longer than shown on the plans.If built as shown, by the time you bolt them on, put the plywood firewall inplace,maybe a thin layer of firecloth, and a sheet metal face, you may not be able toget your motor mount 'pushed back' far enough to get the bolt hole to line up.For some reason the fittings built as drawn are just barely, barely adequateforassembly and in some cases just impossible. Sorry to ramble but I just wantto save you some heartburn, time, and give you some ideas/options to best suit what you need.PS- I just rec'd some really nice photos of the group eating dinner at theMineshaftrestaurant in Hartford, Tues. July 27th eve. and will scan and post themsomewherenext week. Mike C. The Pietenpol I bought at the garage sale has a constructedfuselage. Idon't have the plans so I need to ask the following question.Is the fuselage built for a particular engine or are the differentengineshandled through the construction of the motor mounts? Fromdiscussions Ihave glanced at (I never expected to be a Piet builder) I would guessthelatter. True? I want to put a Continental on it.Thanks, TedTed- You can build a fuselage the same and hang a Ford orContinentalon it, but with some considerations you can tailor each fuse to bettersuityour neeeds. Clear as mud, I know. I used the short fuse(1933 ImprovedAir Camper) and built the Continental motor mount as purchased fromDonaldPietenpol but made it one inch longer. If you build the long fuseyour enginewill naturally be out several inches forward due to the extra 2length you get inboth the front and rear cockpits. The long fuse (1966) wasdesigned, as I understandit, to handle the lighter air-cooled engines. Either fusewill work with a Contintenal,but you might have to slant/tilt your wing back further on a short fusePiet than along fuse Piet. This beats adding lead weight to your motor mountas some haveneeded to do in a pinch. I love having 17 gals of fuel rightbehind the firewalltoo- not only does it make it easier to fuel, no ladders, no spillingfuel on thewing and having it run into your rear seat cushion, etc., but it puts theweightwere you want it- up front. If you opt for a nose take you don'twant to build thatlittle plywood 'tray' behind the firewall (unless someday you planon converting toa Ford) necessarily. This area can be used for a fuel tank orforward luggagecompartment. Also for everyone building those four fittings upfront, as with allof Pietenpol's metal fittings, make them a tad longer than shown on theplans.If built as shown, by the time you bolt them on, put the plywood firewallin place,maybe a thin layer of firecloth, and a sheet metal face, you may not beable toget your motor mount 'pushed back' far enough to get the bolt hole toline up.For some reason the fittings built as drawn are just barely, barelyadequate forassembly and in some cases just impossible. Sorry to ramblebut I just wantto save you some heartburn, time, and give you some ideas/options to bestsuit what you need.PS- I just rec'd some really nice photos of the group eating dinner atthe Mineshaftrestaurant in Hartford, Tues. July 27th eve. and will scan and post themsomewherenext week. Mike C. ________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: ArkiesAir(at)aol.com
> >The Pietenpol I bought at the garage sale has a constructed fuselage. I> >don't have the plans so I need to ask the following question.> >> >Is the fuselage built for a particular engine or are the different engines> >handled through the construction of the motor mounts? From discussions I> >have glanced at (I never expected to be a Piet builder) I would guess the> >latter. True? I want to put a Continental on it.> >> >Thanks, Ted> >Atleast buy the reprint 1932 Flying and Glider Manual from EAA for 6.50 that will at least give you plans in mini form and will answer a million questions. That is all I have and I believe I can build a Piet from them but if I were to actually start building a piet I would buy the plans from Don Pietenpol just because with out the work of his great father we would not be talking today.GordonRW1 UL PietMohawk MK IV EA-81And a long list of planspurchased.________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: ToySat(at)aol.com
The latter is true...actually, there is only one style of attach fitting on the fuselage. The steel engine mount is the difference.Steve________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Davis, Marc"
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Pietenpol engine mount>using Don Pietenpols plans for the A65 mount I built a simple jig only>lengthening it to compensate for the short fuse version--my dimensions are,from>the engine mount to the mounting bracket centr hole top is 13 1/4",,bottomis>12"---Don Ps plans show 13 3/16" & 10 5/8" but they are for the long fuse>version..>I know this mount fits the A50, A65, A75 & A80...beyound this I can't saybut I>quite sure there are plenty of more knowlegeable fellows on this list thatcan>answer you regarding the 0-200>JoeC>Zion, Illinois>>Ted Brousseau wrote:>>> Joe,>>>> Did you build the mount or is it from another plane, like a Jenny? Ifyou>> put an 0-200 would it require even another mount or are all Continental>> mounts the same?>>>> Ted>>>> I was so glad you could fly with me at Brodhead.>>>> >true on the latter,,,D.P. does have plans available for the continentalmotor>> >mount..this is the route I'm taking....mount now completed andinstalling>> >controls and seat belt/harnesses and starting on the fuse fuel tank.>> >JoeC>> >Zion, Illinois>> >>> >Ted Brousseau wrote:>> >>> >> The Pietenpol I bought at the garage sale has a constructed fuselage.I>> >> don't have the plans so I need to ask the following question.>> >>>> >> Is the fuselage built for a particular engine or are the differentengines>> >> handled through the construction of the motor mounts? Fromdiscussions I>> >> have glanced at (I never expected to be a Piet builder) I would guessthe>> >> latter. True? I want to put a Continental on it.>> >>>> >> Thanks, Ted>> >>> >>> >>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ted Brousseau
Joe,Did you build the mount or is it from another plane, like a Jenny? If youput an 0-200 would it require even another mount or are all Continentalmounts the same?TedI was so glad you could fly with me at Brodhead.>true on the latter,,,D.P. does have plans available for the continental motor>mount..this is the route I'm taking....mount now completed and installing>controls and seat belt/harnesses and starting on the fuse fuel tank.>JoeC>Zion, Illinois>>Ted Brousseau wrote:>>> The Pietenpol I bought at the garage sale has a constructed fuselage. I>> don't have the plans so I need to ask the following question.>>>> Is the fuselage built for a particular engine or are the different engines>> handled through the construction of the motor mounts? From discussions I>> have glanced at (I never expected to be a Piet builder) I would guess the>> latter. True? I want to put a Continental on it.>>>> Thanks, Ted>>________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: fishin
using Don Pietenpols plans for the A65 mount I built a simple jig onlylengthening it to compensate for the short fuse version--my dimensions are, fromthe engine mount to the mounting bracket centr hole top is 13 1/4",,bottom is12"---Don Ps plans show 13 3/16" & 10 5/8" but they are for the long fuseversion..I know this mount fits the A50, A65, A75 & A80...beyound this I can't say but Iquite sure there are plenty of more knowlegeable fellows on this list that cananswer you regarding the 0-200JoeCZion, IllinoisTed Brousseau wrote:> Joe,>> Did you build the mount or is it from another plane, like a Jenny? If you> put an 0-200 would it require even another mount or are all Continental> mounts the same?>> Ted>> I was so glad you could fly with me at Brodhead.>> >true on the latter,,,D.P. does have plans available for the continental motor> >mount..this is the route I'm taking....mount now completed and installing> >controls and seat belt/harnesses and starting on the fuse fuel tank.> >JoeC> >Zion, Illinois> >> >Ted Brousseau wrote:> >> >> The Pietenpol I bought at the garage sale has a constructed fuselage. I> >> don't have the plans so I need to ask the following question.> >>> >> Is the fuselage built for a particular engine or are the different engines> >> handled through the construction of the motor mounts? From discussions I> >> have glanced at (I never expected to be a Piet builder) I would guess the> >> latter. True? I want to put a Continental on it.> >>> >> Thanks, Ted> >> >> >________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: fishin
Ted & Joe, The motor mount from Don Pietenpols plans will work for anyContinental 65 to 0-200. I have the new improved 1933 Piet and I made mymount 4 inches longer than the plans. I wish I would have gone anotherinch. I still had to set my wings back a couple of inches to center thelift point where the tail was not too heavy.Copinfo(at)ix.Netcom.ComTim CunninghamDes Moines, Iowa (515) 237-1510________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: walter evans
I hesitated to go out much furthar since I am using a McCauley 7148 metalprop which weighs in at 25#.---with this combo I expect my wing set-back tobe 3 to 4"...JoeCCopinfo wrote:> Ted & Joe, The motor mount from Don Pietenpols plans will work for any> Continental 65 to 0-200. I have the new improved 1933 Piet and I made my> mount 4 inches longer than the plans. I wish I would have gone another> inch. I still had to set my wings back a couple of inches to center the> lift point where the tail was not too heavy.> Copinfo(at)ix.Netcom.Com> Tim Cunningham> Des Moines, Iowa (515) 237-1510________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol engine mount

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jay White
> Subject: Re: Pietenpol engine mount>> >using Don Pietenpols plans for the A65 mount I built a simple jig only> >lengthening it to compensate for the short fuse version--my dimensions are,> from> >the engine mount to the mounting bracket centr hole top is 13 1/4",,bottom> is> >12"---Don Ps plans show 13 3/16" & 10 5/8" but they are for the long fuse> >version..> >I know this mount fits the A50, A65, A75 & A80...beyound this I can't say> but I> >quite sure there are plenty of more knowlegeable fellows on this list that> can> >answer you regarding the 0-200> >JoeC> >Zion, Illinois> >> >Ted Brousseau wrote:> >> >> Joe,> >>> >> Did you build the mount or is it from another plane, like a Jenny? If> you> >> put an 0-200 would it require even another mount or are all Continental> >> mounts the same?> >>> >> Ted> >>> >> I was so glad you could fly with me at Brodhead.> >>> >> >true on the latter,,,D.P. does have plans available for the continental> motor> >> >mount..this is the route I'm taking....mount now completed and> installing> >> >controls and seat belt/harnesses and starting on the fuse fuel tank.> >> >JoeC> >> >Zion, Illinois> >> >> >> >Ted Brousseau wrote:> >> >> >> >> The Pietenpol I bought at the garage sale has a constructed fuselage.> I> >> >> don't have the plans so I need to ask the following question.> >> >>> >> >> Is the fuselage built for a particular engine or are the different> engines> >> >> handled through the construction of the motor mounts? From> discussions I> >> >> have glanced at (I never expected to be a Piet builder) I would guess> the> >> >> latter. True? I want to put a Continental on it.> >> >>> >> >> Thanks, Ted> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >________________________________________________________________________________