Pietenpol-List: OT - Quad City Challenger II

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: OT - Quad City Challenger II

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:
has anyone on the list ever flown a Challenger II?? If so do you know if the wings are easily foldable for storage/transportation? I ask because I have an opportunity to go in a partnership with one. My uncle wants to build a plane and he's decided on the Challenger II. Build time is about 200 hrs and with the both of us tackling the project we could be flying inside of 4 months.for those who don't know what it is here's the site.... it's a low and slow 2 seat plane.www.http://www.quadcitychallenger.com/D ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: OT - Quad City Challenger II

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Greg Bacon
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: OT - Quad City Challenger IIDJ,I've never flown, and I don't think I've ever seen a Challenger II, but I've heard of it somewhere...probably in one of the magazines. I'm always interested in anything that flys, but the link you listed didn't work for me. Oh, well....kit planes are for Sissy's !! :) He he he !!Chuck G.________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:50:55 -0600
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: OT - Quad City Challenger II

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
DJ,,,I flew a challengerII for several years and really enjoyed it. Fly great.But as far as pulling the wings everytime,,, you really might think aboutthat one. I don't believe you'll enjoy doing that everytime you fly.But it's a real nice bird.Carl L.-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: OT - Quad City Challenger II

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Greg Bacon
That Rotax may be loud, but trust me that is a good noise. I was gave afriend a BFR in the really nice Kitfox that he had built himself last year.That Rotax suddenly stopped making noise. It was shortly after takeoffwith approx 250 feet to work with. We landed straight ahead, or ratherright where we were because the airplane just doesn't glide very far. Allwe had to work with was Citrus grove so into the trees we went. After areal quick review of the situation, which with a Rotax does not take long,there just is not much to look at (fuel, ignition, throttle, and you areout of levers/buttons). The good news is that we demonstrated that if youkeep her under control, get her slow and do your best flare you have agreat chance of living. We did, I was unscratched, but rather bruised fromthe seatbelts and from a tube from the landing gear that buckled and droveitself up through the seat, thankfully the seat cushion was thick. Myfriend needed surgery for a destroyed ankle; he is just now getting back towalking. And of course the airplane is trash.There was fuel onboard, in fact the left wing tank split open so there wasfuel everywhere. Only one prop blade was damaged so it wasn't turning atthe time of impact. The engine, a Rotax 532 had 71 hours since new andabout 2 hours since a teardown/inspection by Lockwood (the presumedexperts.) The teardown was not inspired by any particular event, it wasjust the sort of careful over the top maintenance that my friend did on theairplane he built. Needless to say I am not impressed with Rotax. It didchange the way I think while flying; where I would land is never far frommy mind. Reliability seems a lot more important than it ever did before,and for myself I no longer have any interest in airplane engines without along, happy and established history in the field.Friends don't let friends fly a Rotax,Kevinwww.airminded.net> [Original Message]
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: OT - Quad City Challenger II

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Funny, I have over 500 hours behind/in front of Rotax two-strokes and 700hours behind the 912/914 series. Zero failures with the exception of thecarb falling out of the boot on my Fisher 303 with a little Rotax 277 singlelunger. I have had one failure with a Continental and one with a Lycomingthough. Jim T.-----Original Message-----
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: OT - Quad City Challenger II

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rcaprd(at)aol.com
> Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: OT - Quad City Challenger II>>> DJ,>> I met a Challenger II owner at the Brodhead fly-in last year. Hementioned> that he was selling his Challenger because it was "the most boring thinghe> ever flew". You may want to get a ride in one before diving in.>> BTW, I did a little tail dragger training in a Kitfox with a 582 Rotax.The> noise and vibration of that two stroke was annoying and disconcerting. It> took a lot of enjoyment out of the flight experience for me.>> Greg Bacon> Prairie Home, MO>>> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >>>________________________________________________________________________________