Pietenpol-List: mag compass

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: mag compass

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rcaprd(at)aol.com
I checked the compass on 41CC at the hangar today and was amazed to find that moving the stick side-to-side swung the compass 10 degrees each way off of heading. Moving the stick forward and aft doesn't seem to swing it significantly, but left/right does. Amazing!PS- the compass is in the top center of the pilot's panel. I'm not going to move it!Oscar ZunigaSan Antonio, TXmailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.comwebsite at http://www.flysquirrel.net_________________________________________________________________Get FREE company branded e-mail accounts and business Web site from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub005 ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: mag compass

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Rick Holland"
Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: mag compassIn a message dated 11/4/2006 7:06:48 PM Central Standard Time, taildrags(at)hotmail.com writes:I checked the compass on 41CC at the hangar today and was amazed to find that moving the stick side-to-side swung the compass 10 degrees each way off of heading. Moving the stick forward and aft doesn't seem to swing it significantly, but left/right does. Amazing!PS- the compass is in the top center of the pilot's panel. I'm not going to move it!Oscar,I found the same thing when I had my compass in the top center panel. This past spring, I installed EGT / CHT in the hole the compass was in, and relocated it to the bottom of the wing. It works MUCH better there.Chuck G.NX770CG________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 07:45:07 -0700
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: mag compass

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Oscar Zuniga
OscarIt's easy to degauss the stick by passing a magnetic field over the stickand then moving it away.This happenes when it is welded.You do it like you would magneitize or demagneitize a screw driver.Dale Johnson Mpls> [Original Message]
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: mag compass

Post by matronics »

>>Dale offered->>>It's easy to degauss the stick by passing a magnetic field over the stick>>and then moving it away.>>Give me a clue as to where I can find a suitable magnetic field. Would a >Harbor Freight-type magnet work (100 lb. pull "retrieving magnet" for $4.99) >or does it need to be stronger ($14.99 for a 250 lb. pull magnet), or maybe >the coil off of an old TV tube?>>And I've never demagnetized a screwdriver... thought it was useful to have >it be able to hold screws while I started them.>>Oscar Zuniga>San Antonio, TX>mailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.com>website at http://www.flysquirrel.net>>_________________________________________________________________>Get today's hot entertainment gossip >http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip? ... ______Sent via the EV1 webmail system at mail.ev1.net ________________________________________________________________________________Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 13:03:29 -0700
matronics

> >>** Pietenpol-List: Motor mount question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "walt evans"
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Motor mount question

Post by matronics »

matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Motor mount question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Hi Walt,I am still building my fuselage, and have my wing ribs built, but I amwondering how you move the wing back. Do you have to make new brackets,or ??? Thanks!Dave-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Motor mount question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Rick Holland
I used a .50" thick steel plate as a base and 1" angle iron to build my jig. It resisted warping but not entirely.DJ ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

Post by matronics »

matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: mag compass

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> Oscar Zuniga
OscarYou can use the primary winding from a large power transformer by removingthe iron core than wiring a AC plug to it.That way you can past the stick through the core of the winding.It can't be left on to long it will get hot.Wrap the coil with tape to cover all windings .It works like magic.Dale> [Original Message]
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: mag compass

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Mark Blackwell
> Subject: Pietenpol-List: mag compass>>> I checked the compass on 41CC at the hangar today and was amazed to find > that moving the stick side-to-side swung the compass 10 degrees each wayoff > of heading. Moving the stick forward and aft doesn't seem to swing it > significantly, but left/right does. Amazing!>> PS- the compass is in the top center of the pilot's panel. I'm not goingto > move it!>> Oscar Zuniga> San Antonio, TX> mailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.com> website at http://www.flysquirrel.net>> _________________________________________________________________> Get FREE company branded e-mail accounts and business Web site from > Microsoft Office Live >>________________________________________________________________________________Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 20:57:00 -0500
matronics

> > Re: Pietenpol-List: Motor mount question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> >>** Rick Holland
> >> >One other engine mount question Walt, when making yours did you make a> jig> >to match the dimensions of the firewall fittings or were you able to tack> >welding it in place on the firewall and then finish weld it off the> >firewall> >fittings?> >> >Rick> >> >On 11/5/06, walt evans wrote:> >>> >> Rick,> >>My vote is to do it like Bernard did it. I'm flying a Continental A65-8,> >>and his mount fit like a glove and flys just like it's supposed to.> >>Ain't Life Grand!> >>walt evans> >>NX140DL> >>> >>"Put your wealth in knowledge, and no one can ever take it from you"> >>Ben Franklin> >>> >>----- Original Message -----
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Motor mount question

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: >>** Rick Holland
> >One other engine mount question Walt, when making yours did you make a jig >to match the dimensions of the firewall fittings or were you able to tack >welding it in place on the firewall and then finish weld it off the >firewall >fittings? > >Rick > >On 11/5/06, walt evans wrote: >> >> Rick, >>My vote is to do it like Bernard did it. I'm flying a Continental A65-8, >>and his mount fit like a glove and flys just like it's supposed to. >>Ain't Life Grand! >>walt evans >>NX140DL >> >>"Put your wealth in knowledge, and no one can ever take it from you" >>Ben Franklin >> >>----- Original Message -----
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: mag compass

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:
> Subject: Pietenpol-List: mag compass>>> Dale offered->> >It's easy to degauss the stick by passing a magnetic field over the stick> >and then moving it away.>> Give me a clue as to where I can find a suitable magnetic field. Would a > Harbor Freight-type magnet work (100 lb. pull "retrieving magnet" for$4.99) > or does it need to be stronger ($14.99 for a 250 lb. pull magnet), ormaybe > the coil off of an old TV tube?>> And I've never demagnetized a screwdriver... thought it was useful tohave > it be able to hold screws while I started them.>> Oscar Zuniga> San Antonio, TX> mailto: taildrags(at)hotmail.com> website at http://www.flysquirrel.net>> _________________________________________________________________> Get today's hot entertainment gossip > http://movies.msn.com/movies/hotgossip? ... __________