Pietenpol-List: Heat gun on ceconite

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Heat gun on ceconite

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
Subject: Pietenpol-List: Heat gun on ceconite
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Heat gun on ceconite

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Bill Church"
It's all about experience. The friend that I worked for 20+ years never used iron.He probably recovered 30 plus planes. Days when planes sat outside. For people thatRecover one or two planes, iron is probably the right tool. There are heat guns out there that have precise heat control. But still no replacement for experience. LouieOn way to Sun-N-Fun.Sent from my iPad> On Apr 16, 2015, at 5:50 PM, Steven Dortch wrote:> > After seeing a guy on YouTube use a heat gun to snug the cloth on a cub fuselage, I asked the list and was told emphatically not to use a heat gun.> > The result? I experimented with the heat gun and found the following;> 1. An iron is best for tacking the ekobond glue and shrinking the big open areas. The big curves are best dome with an iron.> 2. The heat gun will shrink fabric over nuts, bolts and around hinges. But you have to be careful. It can burn a hole in a heartbeat. Using the IR thermometer measuring the temp on the cloth helps control temp. Also you will find the limit on how much the Dacron will shrink.> > I was glad the list waived me off of Ruining a lot of fabric with a heat gun. But In the tradition of EAA I experimented and found where it is effective.> > Blue skies> Steve D> > > 3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D> ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Heat gun on ceconite
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Steve,Just wondering why you felt compelled to experiment with the heat gun after beingadvised "emphatically" against doing it?In short (as was stated before), it is simply a bad idea. Here's a direct quotefrom the Ceconite web page:"Because calibrated temperatures are important to the shrinking process, however,you shouldn't use a heat gun, which gives you no control."Trying something because some guy did it on YouTube isn't a very wise way to dothings.Rather than being in the tradition of the EAA, it seems that your actions are theopposite. Learning from the mistakes of others, and paying heed to their warningsis the wise way to "experiment."Bill C.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: 6 week dry spell...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jeff Boatright"
After close to 6 weeks grounded, I finally got back up yesterday. Firstflight was in the morning. I only had about 3 gallons in the tank, as I havebeen wanting to do some adjustments to the fuel indicator. Got a new videolocation, though, so just went up for a quick run around the patch.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kAtROg ... e=youtu.be Gary BootheNX308MB________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: 6 week dry spell...
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Gary Boothe"
Great landing, Gary. Do you land with throttle fully at idle, or carry a tiny bitof power? After all this time, I still can't get consistent, smooth rollersunless I carry a touch of power.Also, how is the camera attached? Mine shakes too much when attached to the verticalfin. Could you send along a photo of your attachment approach?Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Re: 6 week dry spell...

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Yes, Jeff, I carry a bit of power. Seems to work far better for me.This mount is just attached at the base of the fin, where the forwardbracket is mounted. I'll get a picture next time at the airport...Gary BootheNX308MB-----Original Message-----
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Heat gun on ceconite

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Steven Dortch
gboothe wrote:> Yes, Jeff, I carry a bit of power. Seems to work far better for me.> > This mount is just attached at the base of the fin, where the forward> bracket is mounted. I'll get a picture next time at the airport...> > Gary Boothe> NX308MB> > > --Cool beans. Thanks.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 11:32:59 -0500Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Heat gun on ceconite
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Bill Church"
=0A=0A=0ANO posts to the list in the last 24 hours?!! Well=2C I may be the last one to come to the party=2C but I finally got my Air Camper up for its first flight of 2015 yesterday. My logbook shows that I had not been up since November 8=2C although I did get the plane out and taxi it around long enough to warm up the oil and top the fuel tank sometime between Christmas and New Year's.It was a beautiful day. The engine would have started up almost instantly if I had not inched the throttle forward just a little=2C thinking it might want a richer mixture. I flooded it=2C but soon cleared that out and got it fired up. Radio worked well enough to get by=2C and soon we were airborne and out of the pattern. Now=2C where to get those three full-stop landings without annoying the tower controller and commercial traffic at my home field? In the time it takes me to make a complete circuit of our field=2C there will usually be a commuter flight=2C maybe a twin=2C and one or two much faster light airplanes take off or land=2C so I always feel like a turtle crossing the interstate highway and I try to go somewhere else for my pattern work.I flew northeast about 30 miles to Prospect=2C a state-owned paved strip with one end of the runway right on the edge of Mill Creek Falls=2C a beautiful view from land or air. On the way there I circled over Mucky Flat=2C a private grass strip where I made a low pass but didn't land. I made a couple of landings at Prospect=2C not half bad given how long it's been since I flew last time=2C and I had forgotten how much fun it is to do wheel landings. I've got to work on mine though=3B it takes a light touch when you have a little extra airspeed and the elevator is so responsive. I never bounced the plane (which I always think I'm going to do)=2C and there was nobody at the field so I didn't mind it if I didn't stay straight on the centerline the whole time.Flew back over Lost Creek Lake=2C which was full from the rains we've gotten this spring. It won't last=2C because we've had almost no snowfall in the Cascades so there won't be any snowmelt to keep the lake fed through the summer. Back into the pattern at Medford with a FedEx Caravan coming in behind me=2C so I made the first turnoff and taxied back at a Piet pace. Oil temp got up a little over 180 during the flight=2C which was good=2C and I put 1.5 in the logbook.If anyone is thinking about PTT switches=2C I can highly recommend the Ray Allen G-101=2C their simplest one. Single thumb button=2C under $40. Nice grip=2C nice switch=2C no more Velcro'd PTT with coiled cords everywhere. I ran some shielded 2-conductor wire from the switch=2C down the stick=2C forward along the walking beam or whatever you call the control tube that connects the forward and aft sticks. I put a mini plug on it so I can take out the whole mess of portable intercom=2C handheld=2C and Icom headset adapter and just tuck the mic cord into the map pocket. I got tired of all those coiled cords=2C Velcro things that didn't fit=2C and wires that seemed to fall apart after a few years.The airplane performed wonderfully=2C the pilot is a bit rusty=2C but it sure was fun to be back in the air!Oscar ZunigaAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"Medford=2C OR=0A ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Heat gun on ceconite
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: first flight of the year

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Jeff Boatright"
Fair enough, Steve.Very selective, careful application of the use of a heat gun, along with the infra-redthermometer can be a way to deal with some tricky covering problems -keeping in mind that it is very easy to go too far with the heat, and then youhave to start all over again. There's no going back once the fabric has beenoverheated. Glad it worked out for you.Bill C.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: first flight of the year
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "taildrags"
Hi Oscar,Congratulations on getting into the air again! We've had some much bad weatherthat I've only logged a couple of flights in all of 2015, too.I am having some trouble with my current PPT. If I'm going to replace it, may aswell follow your lead. Could you post photographs of how your routing your wires?I understand that part about the 2-conductor wire from the switch, downthe stick, along the walking beam, and to a mini-plug, but I can't visualize wherethings go from there.Thanks,JeffRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: first flight of the year
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
Jeff;I'd be happy to take some pictures of how I routed the PTT wiring, and will alsoscan the Ray Allen "instructions" (actually pretty simple). Also my hand-sketcheddiagram of how it all goes together. It does require that the buildersolder wires to the switch connections but if one is not handy with the solderinggun it's an easy task for a ham radio buddy, electronics aficionado, or the15-year-old next door to do for you ;o) Just two wires to land, but the switchis quite small.I didn't want the wiring to be too obvious (1929 airplane, after all), so afterI brought it out the bottom end of the control stick, I ran it along the undersideof the walking beam and secured it with wire ties as I carried it forward.At the point where the beam passes under the front cockpit seat back, I puta little loop in it to allow for the beam swinging back and forth and turnedit upward and headed it over to the starboard fuselage side where I have a mappocket. Couple of cable clamps secure it to the backside of the front seatback. Clear as mud? ;o) I'll take a photo or two.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: first flight of the year
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: first flight of the year

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: glenschweizer(at)yahoo.com
Oscar,Very good. It's always nice to shot some landings. Only 7 more weeks for thewest coast gathering. I sure hope you can make it. I plan on being there Fridayafternoon. Cheers my friend,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: first flight of the year
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "dgaldrich"
If any one from the northwest is going to west coast pietenpol, I'm driving downfrom salem oregon Friday morning early. I'll be going south on I5. If anyoneneeds a ride or ground support, let me know. GlenSent from my iPhone> On Apr 20, 2015, at 8:39 AM, "AircamperN11MS" wrote:> > > Oscar,> > Very good. It's always nice to shot some landings. Only 7 more weeks for thewest coast gathering. I sure hope you can make it. I plan on being there Fridayafternoon. > > Cheers my friend,> > --------> Scott Liefeld> Flying N11MS since March 1972> Steel Tube> C-85-12> Wire Wheels> Brodhead in 1996> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 049#441049> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Heat gun on ceconite
matronics

Post by matronics »

Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee, and probably others make some nice variable heat gunsthat are much easier to control than the cheap "torch" guns used for paint removal.Also a nice tool for heatshrink tubing for electronics and cable ends.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: first flight of the year
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ray Krause
Right now it's not looking very good for me to make it to Frazier Lake. As I mentionedearlier, this past weekend was the first free weekend I've had in over5 months, and it's not getting much better. We have a big VA project deadlinelooming the first week of July and I absolutely, positively need to be donewith that project by the deadline or I don't get to leave on a dive trip to Hondurasthe day after the project is due!!However, I realize that in about 90 minutes of air time like I got on Saturday,plus another 15-20 minutes, I could have flown from Medford over the SiskiyouPass to somewhere around Redding. Another hour and a half south of that andI'd be at Colusa County Airport, home of our illustrious Sky Scout builder, RayKrause, and I'd be more than halfway to Frazier Lake at that point.--------Oscar ZunigaMedford, ORAir Camper NX41CC "Scout"A75 powerRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "AircamperN11MS"
Oscar, if you do decide to make it, plan on stopping by. Stay the night, whatever.I will be flying the Waiex, or Aeronca to Fraizer. I think my grandson willgo with me.It would be a treat for all of us,Ray KrauseSent from my iPad> On Apr 20, 2015, at 8:25 PM, taildrags wrote:> > > Right now it's not looking very good for me to make it to Frazier Lake. As Imentioned earlier, this past weekend was the first free weekend I've had in over5 months, and it's not getting much better. We have a big VA project deadlinelooming the first week of July and I absolutely, positively need to be donewith that project by the deadline or I don't get to leave on a dive trip toHonduras the day after the project is due!!> > However, I realize that in about 90 minutes of air time like I got on Saturday,plus another 15-20 minutes, I could have flown from Medford over the SiskiyouPass to somewhere around Redding. Another hour and a half south of that andI'd be at Colusa County Airport, home of our illustrious Sky Scout builder,Ray Krause, and I'd be more than halfway to Frazier Lake at that point.> > --------> Oscar Zuniga> Medford, OR> Air Camper NX41CC "Scout"> A75 power> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 073#441073> > > > > > > > > > ________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: first flight of the year
matronics

Post by matronics »

I get it Oscar. I hate when work gets in the way of life. But at the same timeI don't mind that you are doing something for our Vets. I am assuming thatthe VA you mentioned is our Vets. They deserve anything and everything we cangive them. Here-here to all the vets.Cheers,--------Scott LiefeldFlying N11MS since March 1972Steel TubeC-85-12Wire WheelsBrodhead in 1996Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: first flight of the year