Pietenpol-List: progress in Tasmania

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Cuy
HI David and welcome!First off, congratulations on your progress!I had a ford built with insert bearings as well and feel it's a greatsolution if done well. I personally think a super-simple tach option is tosimply use a westach electrical tach which simply runs off the "P" lead fromthe mag and eliminates the tach cable. I have used one for five years nowand know of others who have been using them with complete success.Available from Aircraft Spruce. Just be sure to put a small fuse inlinebetween the gauge and the lead. I think Toni Bingilis mentions them in hisfirewall forward book (which EVERYBODY building should be required to ownhis entire set).If I remember correctly I welded a boss onto the a short metal tube in theradiator hose run so I could get water temps coming out of the radiator andentering the motor. I've also heard that the cap-type gauges can be readingthe temp of the brass rather than pure water temps.Good luck!Douwe________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> "Douwe Blumberg"
> Hi Douwe,Thanks for the info. I=92ll use the electronic tacho., as you say, a super simple option. As this requires no modification to the camshaft, did you still modify the timing gear cover? Looking at the plans it seems some of the modifications are designed to reduce the oil leak problem that can be a problem at the front of A Ford motors.Snyders have a temperature gauge probe pipe that mounts in the upper hose.What type of sensor did you use? I have noticed in quite a few photos of Pietenpol Fords that there is an additional water outlet at the prop end of the head. I guess there is a problem with a water temperature buildup at the point. Is this outlet created by drilling into the water jacket?I have all 4 of the Bingilis books, the manual from Andrew Pietenpol and the 2 EAA Flying manuals, 1932 and 1933. Thanks again for your assistance.Respectfully,David