Pietenpol-List: Vortex Generators

An archive of the Matronics Pietenpol Listserve.
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tengulfromeo"
There was a similar wing rotating jig for one-piece wing long ago in the BPA newsletter. It was somewhat smaller and simpler, as it attached to the cabane fittings only. The best I remember, it was two "U" shaped pieces of plywood bolted to the cabane fittings and sitting on a base with rollers much like Dan's. I will try to find it and post.Genehttp://www.matronics.com/Navigator?Pietenpol-L ... ___Subject: Pietenpol-List: Vortex Generators
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jeff Boatright
I recently sealed my elevator gap which improved control response. (I stronglyrecommend gap seals on ailerons, rudder and elevator on the Pietenpol). Just for kicks this weekend I added vortex generators to the underside of my horizontalstabilizer and definitely noticed improved elevator authority on landingflare. Crazy I know, and if they didn't look so darn noticeable and out of character foran antique, but still it has me thinking........has anyone had experience withvortex generators on the Piet wing? Gary N10GRRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 20:07:57 -0400
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ryan Mueller
Thanks for responding Jeff. I searched Vortex Generators and didn't see your postbut read others. I even searched for author by your name. Maybe I missed it.What was the subject line of your post? Gary N10GRRead this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... __________
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Vortex Generators

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Michael Perez
Gary,Go to www.matronics.com/search. Select Pietenpol from the drop down menu. Search for 'boatright & vortex'. There you have it...RyanSent from my mobile deviceOn Sep 28, 2009, at 6:44 AM, "tengulfromeo" wrote:>> Thanks for responding Jeff. I searched Vortex Generators and didn't > see your post but read others. I even searched for author by your > name. Maybe I missed it. What was the subject line of your post?>> Gary> N10GR>>> Read this topic online here:>> http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ______Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 07:10:34 -0700 (PDT)
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Air Camper load rating

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By:> owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
That statement is not quite correct. There are two stories in the book about crashes stemming from aerobatics; one was a Mr. Galen Elser and the other a gentleman named Bennie Skaarberg.Both aircraft reportedly fell inverted from the top side of an attempted loop, thereby putting negative loading on the wing struts. The struts promptly failed, and the wings departed the aircraft. The wings themselves did not fail, the struts did.As Chet later writes, 'Bernard always warned against doing "stunts"'. If you want to do stunts, build yourself a Pitts. :PRyanSent from my mobile deviceOn Sep 29, 2009, at 2:16 PM, "Dave Abramson" wrote:> >>> Greetings all!>> There has been at least 1 catastrophic wing failier on a Pietenpol....>> In Chet Peeks book..... There is a story of someone doing > aerobatics, and> his Pietenpol fell apart in the air. (back in the 20's or 30's)>> Just wanted to throw that out there!>> Dave>>> -----Original Message-----
matronics

> Pietenpol-List: Air Camper load rating

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jim Markle
matronics

?Pietenpol-List: Vortex Generators

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ross Alexander
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Vortex Generators

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: shad bell
matronics

>> Re: Pietenpol-List: Vortex Generators

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Dan Yocum
matronics

> Re: Pietenpol-List: Vortex Generators

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Ross Alexander
matronics

>> Re: Pietenpol-List: Vortex Generators

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Jeff Boatright
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Spar splice

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: santiago morete
Santiago, I still say you do the most beautiful work! . . . The only things I would say about your post is that if you used only 1/8" plywood, it was not per "the book" which calls for the splice plate to be 1/4 thickness of the spar (although perfectly adequate, I'm sure). I also don't know that you "need" ply under the cabane fitting. Having said that, don't listen to me, I only aspire to have my airplane turn out as beautiful as yours!Gene ----- Original Message -----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Spar splice

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: santiago morete
matronics

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "Boatright, Jeffrey"
Well, after sitting in a bag on my workbench for two years while Iprocrastinated, I finally went a head and installed VG's on "RE-PIET" andflew her for the first time today. I had debated and debated then after mytalks with PF Beck, decided to bite the bullet. After my first flight I'mreally pleased. Can't tell how much, because of the Johnson vane-typeairspeed indicator, but my stall speed has been reduced noticeably. She'salways stalled very mildly, but she is noticeably "rock solid" feeling justbefore the stall which is even milder I think. The slowest I used to be ableto maintain altitude was around 1700rpm, now I think she's maintainingaltitude in the 1500's. Don't notice a reduction in cruise speed.Overall, I'm stoked. they're small and clear so they're hard to see, thoughyou can see them at three-point attitude if you step back and that certainlyisn't vintage, but I think it's worth it. that's about the only drawback Ican find so far.Douwe________________________________________________________________________________
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Brodhead Pietenpol Association

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "pweeden"
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________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Brodhead Pietenpol Association
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Brodhead Pietenpol Association

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: Darrel Jones
Howdy all. Some of you may have heard that the Brodhead Pietenpol Association haschanged hands. A group of us at Brodhead Airport have agreed to take the reinsfrom John Hofmann and have committed to publishing four newsletters per year,along with planning the annual Pietenpol Reunion at Brodhead Airport.A new website is up, and while it is still being built out with content, you cango there to join or renew your membership, download selected back issues ofthe newsletter and join other builders and enthusiasts in the discussion board.http://www.pietenpols.orgThe discussion board is a new feature meant to bring a much updated version ofthe Matronics board back to the "mothership." Also, we are starting to scan manyof the original newsletters from the early 1970s and 80s that are full of goodinformation from the old-timers.As always, we appreciate any information, articles, photos, ideas and general gossipthat you all can provide for the newsletter. Contact information at thewebsite.Thanks to John Hofmann for his work over the past several years.Read this topic online here:http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... ___Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Brodhead Pietenpol Association
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Vortex Generators

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Do you have a couple of pictures? Also where did you get them? Or did youmake them yourself? Where did you get the pattern? Etc etcBarryNX973BP
matronics

RE: Pietenpol-List: Brodhead Pietenpol Association

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: owner-pietenpol-list-server(at)matronics.com
Sent my 2 Years by PayPal. Hope everyone else does the same.ThanksBarry DavisNX973BP-----Original Message-----
matronics

Pietenpol-List: Re: Vortex Generators

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: "tengulfromeo"
>> *>============================================> *>>________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Pietenpol-List: Re: Vortex Generators
matronics

Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Vortex Generators

Post by matronics »

Original Posted By: gwread(at)aol.com
> To: pietenpol-list(at)matronics.com> > > I have two sets of aircamper plans one from the 70's & 08' and neither of them show the construction details for the staight axle variety=2C only the split gear style. Is there another set of plans with a different option?> > > > > Read this topic online here:> > http://forums.matronics.com/viewtopic.p ... 354#265354> > > > > > > ============================================> > > _________________________________________________________________Hotmail: Free=2C trusted and rich email service.________________________________________________________________________________Subject: Re: Pietenpol-List: Re: Vortex GeneratorsDate: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:49:11 -0400